The Left Handed Build

Associate
Following this now, love builds from scratch especially when "old school" techniques are used. Got to say I'm one for throwing stuff together and see what it looks like :)

Keep up the good work mate.

Associate
OP
Following this now, love builds from scratch especially when "old school" techniques are used. Got to say I'm one for throwing stuff together and see what it looks like :)

Keep up the good work mate.

Thanks bobbydigital

I like 'old school' or is that just because I am old :)

I see lots of builds that are only 'concepts' and remain as a render. With this build I am putting my efforts into 'making the case' and not doing nice pictures.
So its nice to find someone with the 'old school' mentality.

Associate
I spent my teens putting my computer into various "custom" cases. Started off painting a gateway case black, then crammed everything into an old scanner so the window was the glass panel and then into one of those metal photography cases. Until I settled with modding a lian-li case.

However seeing your start has made me want to knock something up for scratch, and like yourself I've kept cages and motherboard trays over the years just for this sort of project :)

Again can't wait to see any updates on this.

Associate
OP
I spent my teens putting my computer into various "custom" cases. Started off painting a gateway case black, then crammed everything into an old scanner so the window was the glass panel and then into one of those metal photography cases. Until I settled with modding a lian-li case.

However seeing your start has made me want to knock something up for scratch, and like yourself I've kept cages and motherboard trays over the years just for this sort of project :)

Again can't wait to see any updates on this.

I agree, bobbydigital, its always a good idea to hold onto any old parts just in-case they are required for the future.
The only problem is, I think they are useful & Mrs Piggin sees it as more rubbish.
The only good thing is, the loft is big & she dislikes spiders. :D

Associate
OP
I have not updated for a little time due to not having a lot of time to do any work & photo bucket telling me I am a victim of my own success (my bandwidth had run out) :(
So this is a small update to prove that I am not slacking off.

Instead of invalidating the warranty on my PSU, I have purchased some extension cables from (name removed).
I purchased a few braided and non braided cabled. I decided to braid them all in (name removed) Dense Weave braid.
First up the 8 pin ATX connection

8.jpg

Also purchased some 2.5mm Dense Weave cable braid & heat shrink.

9.jpg

Purchased a new pair of pliers and side cutters from the local pound shop (no expense spared)

10.jpg

Cut the original braiding off to expose the cable and connections.

11.jpg

Then used a few paper stables to release the pins

12.jpg

As you can see, the clips are straightened and pushed down the side of the connector to release the pins.

13.jpg

After a little bit of time, finished

14.jpg

15.jpg

I also purchased extensions for the graphics card.

16.jpg

Stripped them down as before

17.jpg

The finished item

18.jpg

Finally the 24pin motherboard cable

19.jpg

The finished item

20.jpg

I have to say, I am very pleased with the results (even better than I thought).
Also have to say that the dense weave braid I perched from Tom is excellent and I will definitely be going back for more.

Associate
Hi Piggin would you mind activating your trust and letting me know where you got the dense weave. i've tried a few that have claimed to be dense and aren't but that stuff looks the muts nuts

Associate
OP
Hi Piggin would you mind activating your trust and letting me know where you got the dense weave. i've tried a few that have claimed to be dense and aren't but that stuff looks the muts nuts

G-Dubs, I think my trust is now activated & I have sent you a link to the relevant shop.

As for the dense weave, the one I have been using has three strands over crossing the next three strands instead of single stands.
Therefore this is DENSE.
In real life you can't see the cables underneath but with flash photos, the red and orange can be seen (very strange)

Soldato
Really impressed by this build - Love the kit going into this build as much as I'm loving watching the case coming to life (so to speak lol)

I've spent so long looking through older threads of build logs that it's quite frustrating having to wait for updates now lol

Great job fella
*subscribed*

Associate
OP
Really impressed by this build - Love the kit going into this build as much as I'm loving watching the case coming to life (so to speak lol)

I've spent so long looking through older threads of build logs that it's quite frustrating having to wait for updates now lol

Great job fella
*subscribed*

Thanks for the kind words.(from a local boy)
This build is not going very well at the moment & its whole existence is in peril.
I am going to have to make a decision soon, as to progress or jack it all in.

Soldato
Other factors have to come into ofcourse but I would say continue if you can. It is something different from the norm to see someone building a case themselves. Looking good so far though :)

Associate
OP
Other factors have to come into ofcourse but I would say continue if you can. It is something different from the norm to see someone building a case themselves. Looking good so far though :)

The problem I have is the case is bent.
Unknowing to me, when I purchased the 20mm angle for the case the material is actually twisted. The case was manufactured square but due to the twist, the case is not a cube.
This only came to light when the side panels were cut & nothing fitted.
I have since spent a lot of time cutting & rewelding sections but due to the nature of the twist it will not come true.
So I either scrap the project or start from scratch again.

Soldato
Oh :( that is a little more than a minor set back. Its doing it all the old fashioned way, if you had of done all the cad modelling then it would be fine :cool: :p Always a let down when something like this happens but hopefully you can find a way round it :)

Associate
OP
Oh :( that is a little more than a minor set back. Its doing it all the old fashioned way, if you had of done all the cad modelling then it would be fine :cool: :p Always a let down when something like this happens but hopefully you can find a way round it :)

I could've 3D modeled this all day long & it wouldn't have changed things.
The design is good, the construction is correct but the materials that were supplied were substandard.
I can't see anyway around this problem, its either, scrap this version & start again or just scrap the whole idea & purchase a new case.
The best part about this whole thing is I have just sold my pinnacle 24 :(

Associate
Why "Left Handed"? :D Having looked through your STY build I'm looking forward to this one. :cool:

What did you use to get the TIM off the chips. I can't quite get all the blasted stuff off my GT220.

theres some stuff thats called TIM CLean (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-003-AK)

Great stuff i have a bottle that my brother started using like 5 years ago and probs is about half full still

Great stuff cleans absolutely everything off the chip and coolers

Darkzy

Back
Top Bottom