The Liverpool Club Thread. **No Spoilers**

Don
OP
Not surprised that a deal was eventually agreed but slightly surprised that the club have done it so quickly. I'd have thought they would have wanted to wait and assess the situation over the next 6-12 months before committing to a 4 year deal. I can only assume that they've reached a compromise, structuring the deal in a way that rewards Hendo the more he's available or plays in his latter years.

Soldato
Yeah he's not getting half a mill a week at Anfield, if it's true they'll cash in on him and he'll be off.

This is what I believe makes any deal for Mbappe etc. unworkable as Liverpool have a wage structure and they don't pay that kind of wage out.

Don
OP
What's Liverpool's wage structure? As of the last set of published accounts our wage bill was the 5th biggest in world football, only behind Barca, PSG, City and Real. I strongly suspect that once image rights & bonuses are factored in, Salah is already earning around the £300k mark per week.

Liverpool have done an amazing job at convincing the press and wider public that we're paying our players with magic beans but it's just not true.

And

And

Associate
Highest PL wages depends which outlet you read. One I saw for 20-21 had Liverpool, United, Chelsea paying more than City, another had City paying the most with Utd second. I suspect United's will be the highest now with Varane, Sancho (£300k+?) and Ronaldo (£450k+?) added to the bill. Wages (and transfer/signing on fees) need to be capped IMO but that's whole other argument.

What's Liverpool's wage structure? As of the last set of published accounts our wage bill was the 5th biggest in world football, only behind Barca, PSG, City and Real. I strongly suspect that once image rights & bonuses are factored in, Salah is already earning around the £300k mark per week.

Liverpool have done an amazing job at convincing the press and wider public that we're paying our players with magic beans but it's just not true.

Don
OP
Highest PL wages depends which outlet you read
Or you can just look at clubs audited accounts which tells you exactly how much they're paying. No rumour or speculation, just facts.

For the 19/20 season, City paid out £351m, Liverpool £325m, Utd £284m and Chelsea £283m. Utd's wage bill was down due to not being in the CL - they do quarterly accounts (3 of which for last season have been released) and their wage bill for last season was tracking for £320m+ again. We'll find out Liverpool, City's and Chelsea's wages for last season sometime between now and March.

Soldato

A lot of Liverpool's wages are performance based so the wage bill for that season was sky high.

Don
OP
A lot of Liverpool's wages are performance based so the wage bill for that season was sky high.
Our accounting period ended at the end of May, before the PL season finished and title was won so no bonuses linked to the title was included in those figures. The 18/19 CL final was played on the 1st June 2019 so bonuses for that would have been however. That said, bonuses for winning a CL or PL aren't going to be massive relative to the total. Our 18/19 wages (as above, which didn't include the CL win) were £310m afterall.

Our wages are heavily incentivesed however not so much based on team honours but individual performance. Football leaks revealed details of both Firmino and VVD's contracts - Firmino had a big goal bonus that increased the more goals he scored (starting from £25k per goal going up to £85k per goal), likewise with VVD and clean sheets, the more clean sheets the bigger the bonus per clean sheet became.

And

And

Associate
I haven't looked at the accounts. Still need capping tho ;)

Or you can just look at clubs audited accounts which tells you exactly how much they're paying. No rumour or speculation, just facts.

For the 19/20 season, City paid out £351m, Liverpool £325m, Utd £284m and Chelsea £283m. Utd's wage bill was down due to not being in the CL - they do quarterly accounts (3 of which for last season have been released) and their wage bill for last season was tracking for £320m+ again. We'll find out Liverpool, City's and Chelsea's wages for last season sometime between now and March.

Soldato
Last 3 games a midfielder has chipped in with a goal. We needed more goals from midfield and it looks like we are getting them. Fingers crossed Keita can really kick on now.

Soldato
Injury update ahead of the game against Brentford:

Trent is available. Bobby is ‘in contention’. Milner and Neco back in training. Naby is unlikely to feature due to the injury he picked up at Norwich (no shock there I think, how many games do folks reckon? I'll go with 3). Thiago is still sidelined.

Back
Top Bottom