The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
Frodo sounds like a posh(ish) Brit
Merry sounds like a mancunian
Pippen sounds scottish
Samwise sounds like he's from Bristol

There are several differences here: (1) the difference between Sam and the rest is clearly about class not where people are from, (2) Frodo and Pippin/Merry are from different places within the Shire - which is presented as being large enough to have different accents within it (think how close they are to Bag End when Sam declares it's the furthest he's ever travelled), and (3) each actors speaks consistently in the voice they use.

Ultimately though, it's a subjective thing: it's not something that I find distracting or noticeable in LoTR (it just feels like different characters talk differently) whereas I do notice it in RoP where it feels like they're supposed to be all talking with the same accent but are, in fact, not. And, no, it's not some criticism I picked up from elsewhere and noticed only because I knew about it beforehand because, well, I didn't know about it beforehand.

I think the discussion about it is rather out of proportion with it's impact - it doesn't spoil the show for me or anything - but it's definitely there.

Man of Honour
There are several differences here: (1) the difference between Sam and the rest is clearly about class not where people are from, (2) Frodo and Pippin/Merry are from different places within the Shire - which is presented as being large enough to have different accents within it (think how close they are to Bag End when Sam declares it's the furthest he's ever travelled), and (3) each actors speaks consistently in the voice they use.

Ultimately though, it's a subjective thing: it's not something that I find distracting or noticeable in LoTR (it just feels like different characters talk differently) whereas I do notice it in RoP where it feels like they're supposed to be all talking with the same accent but are, in fact, not. And, no, it's not some criticism I picked up from elsewhere and noticed only because I knew about it beforehand because, well, I didn't know about it beforehand.

I think the discussion about it is rather out of proportion with it's impact - it doesn't spoil the show for me or anything - but it's definitely there.

Personally wasn't that bothered by the accent so much as the times when it broke down and you'd get a bit of Essex or similar coming through and/or turns of phrase which are decidedly modern/contemporary - especially when it was turns of phrase which have become common in very recent years and likely to drop out of usage again long term.

Soldato
And it all starts to make sense.

Elon Musk has shared his thoughts on Amazon's new Lord of the Rings series... but he isn't leaving a good review.

'Tolkien is turning in his grave', Tweeted the richest man in the world on Monday, hitting out at The Rings of Power, the series which premiered on September 1 said to be the pet project of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.

'Almost every male character so far is a coward, a jerk or both. Only Galadriel is brave, smart and nice,' Musk said, referring to the series' female protagonist.

Associate
Im watching this with my 14 year old son, so far we both really like it, stunning visuals, feels very LotR. People are always going to have opinions on stuff like this but its simply meant as entertainment. I always think best way to approach it, leave all your real world angst, ideals, prejudices at the door, sit and just let yourself be told a story for an hour, its really quite good then.

Im watching this with my 14 year old son, so far we both really like it, stunning visuals, feels very LotR. People are always going to have opinions on stuff like this but its simply meant as entertainment. I always think best way to approach it, leave all your real world angst, ideals, prejudices at the door, sit and just let yourself be told a story for an hour, its really quite good then.

Well you could but you would miss all the fun of acting like a 3 year old going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about being triggered by woke ;)

Caporegime
You can stop now

Some of your other wokeragers will be back soon I am sure

Funny isn't it, page after page after page of anti woke raging and now when more people are saying its ok they finally shut up, until the next episode I assume.

They're quiet because they've made their points. You're literally the only one banging on.

They're quiet because they've made their points. You're literally the only one banging on.

They have been making their "points" for 8 months! Over hundreds posts
Many people said wait until its out, but that wasn't good enough we have had pages and pages of no alternative view allowed.

Look at how aggressive one of you fellow wokeragers has been, and yet all you can get upset about it me taking the mick out of them.
Christ you like your safe space where people can only hold the same views don't you!

Like I said I am sure some will be back Friday, ranting again about just having watched something they hate ;)

Caporegime
They have been making their "points" for 8 months! Over hundreds posts
Many people said wait until its out, but that wasn't good enough we have had pages and pages of no alternative view allowed.

Look at how aggressive one of you fellow wokeragers has been, and yet all you can get upset about it me taking the mick out of them.
Christ you like your safe space where people can only hold the same views don't you!

Like I said I am sure some will be back Friday, ranting again about just having watched something they hate ;)

Bang bang bang that drum.

Back
Top Bottom