The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
They should have made the Galadriel and Elrond as new characters - no need to mess around with established characters.

The hobbit accents are ropey af.

LOL

The neck-beards moaning about black elves and female leads just can't help themselves.

Just enjoy it for what it is! So far it's very good.

You do realise how old these characters are and what age it's set in?

Soldato
They have been making their "points" for 8 months! Over hundreds posts
Many people said wait until its out, but that wasn't good enough we have had pages and pages of no alternative view allowed.

Look at how aggressive one of you fellow wokeragers has been, and yet all you can get upset about it me taking the mick out of them.
Christ you like your safe space where people can only hold the same views don't you!

Like I said I am sure some will be back Friday, ranting again about just having watched something they hate ;)
As Dis said, the people that were vocal about the show pre-release have said all we needed to, it's those that are apparently enjoying it that keep banging on. I mean there's a fairly massive counter to the whole Galadriel 'the warrior queen' malarky in that she was one of the greatest elven healers and more importantly, elves believed that taking any life would diminish the ability to heal. Amazon has taken liberties with the character to build a story around her - the tweets from post 960 prove this as they don't say that she swung a sword around killing things, folks have taken an interpretation of quotes from passages that point to her being more akin to a general (which she was) and run with the theory that she was out and about slaying enemies in the heat of the battle.

Musk may well be trolling, but his point is correct Tolkien would be rolling in his grave, but then again he would have done the same with PJ's original trilogy - the dude was insanely protective of his work after all.

People are free to enjoy this, the same as they are to not. Same with people enjoying She-Hulk (I noticed there is quite the crossover between people that enjoy the blandness of both shows), my bar for quality entertainment is just slightly higher than yours that's all :p :D

Associate
LOL

The neck-beards moaning about black elves and female leads just can't help themselves.

Just enjoy it for what it is! So far it's very good.

You do realise how old these characters are and what age it's set in?
Neck-beards??? Lol

Yes - we have seen those 2 characters in 6 movies and they feature several decades worth of books.

The portrayal in this series is jarring imo; no need to get all uppity ser knight.

Damn my high standards

They aren't high, they are different. Claiming your standards are high is very presumptuous

We all bring our own interpretation to things, I cannot hear any Jamaican in the lenny henry narrative for example, "Irish" sure, although I suspect many true Irish hear poor attempts at having an Irish twang.
And I visit the Caribbean as well and see how the real language is somewhat different to the accepted British version of how its supposed to be.
I suspect many of the "hes slipping into Jamaican" types have never been.

People who have been banging on about how bad this would be for months and months in the echo chamber of anti woke this thread has been will not enter watching this with an open mind, no matter how many times they tell themselves they will.
Which is why all the sensible people said, wait until its on. If you have judged it before its even shown, you have judged it already.

I didn't even get the She-Hulk to be honest, I have always thought Marvel stuff was trash so don't follow it.

Its ok, I am not going to trigger Dis any more. Hes in mourning, his once safe space has been invaded by people who don't all post the same as him and support his views now that people are actually watching it.

And FWIW, my views of what I expected remain pretty much unchanged. Its ok, nothing trailblazing, but to me better for existing than not as someone who has been a fantasy fan and received scant few programs/films for decades.
Would I change some things? Almost certainly but I haven't put my money where my mouth is and created my own alternate.

Soldato
As someone from a Jamaican background I don't hear any Jamaican in Lenny Henry's voice. Just pure brummie!

I'm not hating it. I did fall asleep during the 2nd episode but that was more on me than being bored by the story. I'll stick with it though, it's pretty.

Some viewing figures have been released by Samba TV, a company which runs data collection for smart TVs in the US and elsewhere. 1.8 million views for first episode, 1.3 million for the 2nd. This falls short of the premier of Stranger things series 4 (2.9m) and Kenobi(2.1m) whereas the House of Dragon was pulling 4.8 million for episode 1.

They lost half a million viewers for the 2nd episode. I'm still to watch it yet.

Caporegime
Some viewing figures have been released by Samba TV, a company which runs data collection for smart TVs in the US and elsewhere. 1.8 million views for first episode, 1.3 million for the 2nd. This falls short of the premier of Stranger things series 4 (2.9m) and Kenobi(2.1m) whereas the House of Dragon was pulling 4.8 million for episode 1.

Meanwhile, Amazon say it pulled 25 million viewers and HBO say HotD reached 10 million.

I suppose to some extent, as well, whatever the figures are they are going to be hugely influenced by how many people have access. Amazon Prime has 200 million subscribers, how many people have access to stream HotD? I'd guess less than that, but I'm not sure where it's getting distributed outside of Europe and the US.

Suspended
I just checked the reviews and something stood out, apart from Rotton Tomatoes, there's hardly ANY negative reviews on IDMB! It's as if everything below 6/10 isn't being allowed, whereby compared to Game of Thrones there's loads!

Are Amazon removing negative reviews through IDMB?

I read somewhere that tons of right wings weirdos neg bombed it on IMDB as soon as reviews were allowed, I’m guessing a lot of them got to deleted ?

Associate

They lost half a million viewers for the 2nd episode. I'm still to watch it yet.
Problem with those figures is, as mentioned, RoP being available on prime means there's a lot of other ways for it to be watched outside of the integrated app in a smart tv. PC browsers, mobiles, apple tv or other appliances that support prime etc. The only true source for figures would be amazon themselves. Not sure if they officially announce those or not?

Suspended
No different to the left wing weirdos giving it 10/10- there's actually more 10/10 scores on the likes of RT and IMDb ;)

Id wager that most of the 10/10 reviews are from super nerds who are massive fanboys and incapable of objectivity tbh, you get the same with super hero or comic book films.. they all get tons of 10 out of 10 reviews within seconds of reviews being opened up because their fanbases are kinda crazy at times. That said im sure some of the 1/10 reviews are from fanboys unhappy with certain other aspects of the show, however im fairly confident a sizeable chunk are down to black elves or whatever, such is the way of the internets.

The show is clearly neither a 1/10 or 10/10 imo

Soldato
Really enjoying it. Looks epic on oled. The cinematics and cgi are spot on. Interesting use of a wide aperture to create the consistent dreamy look throughout the scenes especially with dialogue. I also like the subtle but intentional difference in colour palletes in the environments to separate the races.

The parallel storylines have kept me invested. Some interesting characters. Looks forward to the next episodes.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm curious... What were people watching it on? Through their TV smart hub apps? I hooked up through the PS4 Amazon Prime app.

Back
Top Bottom