The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Outside die hard Tolkien fans I doubt 99%+ of the population would be interested in a faithful reproduction of any of his works than LOTR, and even then they would be struggling to include the bits that previously got cut, the "songs" and Tom B.

Theres no issue in adaptation and deviation if its for the benefit of the medium IMO. Yes there will always be a small minority that want everything to be canon and have complete references in the written version but most people just want it to be good. They want changes to be made that enhance it.

Even GoT which had all the good will in the world eventually came under heavy criticism...for being bad. For butchering characters. Ignoring character arcs. Changing characters from having agency and interest to being bit parts and becoming one dimensional tropes. Bad writing is bad writing. Of course all these things are up for debate but dismissing criticism because you don't agree is silly.

Its great that some people are loving this. Then again, people can't be trusted as some people think The Hobbit films weren't a smear on cinematic history so we know people can't be trusted. :p

Currently this is a 5.5/10. HoD is sitting at a 7/10 currently.

When something can and should be amazing I think its judged more harshly by many, myself included. This is an insanely expensive production with every advantage when it comes to making something special. I just think that currently they are falling well short of what it could be.

Associate
I’m enjoying both shows but actually find myself looking forward to RoP more than HoD. Maybe that’s because I pretty much know how HoD will pan out? Although same can be said, broadly, of RoP.
Or perhaps HoD cuts too close to the bone and I’m just preferring the high fantasy setting of RoP right now?
We’ll see, I hope both keep getting better as great to have fantasy shows back on the tv. Willow coming out soon too and WoT can only improve on its average start (I hope).

Theres no issue in adaptation and deviation if its for the benefit of the medium IMO. Yes there will always be a small minority that want everything to be canon and have complete references in the written version but most people just want it to be good. They want changes to be made that enhance it.

Even GoT which had all the good will in the world eventually came under heavy criticism...for being bad. For butchering characters. Ignoring character arcs. Changing characters from having agency and interest to being bit parts and becoming one dimensional tropes. Bad writing is bad writing. Of course all these things are up for debate but dismissing criticism because you don't agree is silly.

Its great that some people are loving this. Then again, people can't be trusted as some people think The Hobbit films weren't a smear on cinematic history so we know people can't be trusted. :p

Currently this is a 5.5/10. HoD is sitting at a 7/10 currently.

When something can and should be amazing I think its judged more harshly by many, myself included. This is an insanely expensive production with every advantage when it comes to making something special. I just think that currently they are falling well short of what it could be.

Don't disagree on most of that.
Fantasy, especially high fantasy is difficult to do to mass appeal. GOT issue was the showrunners were great at adaption, but sucked at point when they were simply not adapting well written material for TV. IE once they got to the point GRRMs published material ended.
I am dubious GRRM will wrap up ever, but even if he does I suspect a change in pacing, he says he will do it in two books, but there are major issues to me in that, such as Dany being on a completely different continent. So its possible the speed is actually correct!

I don't see many people loving it, I see many enjoying it. I can only speak for myself but loving means I will re-watch a series episode before the next week, and the the whole previous season just before the next comes out.
If I like something I may do the later, or often just the last episode or 2 of the previous season, just to refresh the old grey matter.
I haven't and wont do either with ROP, although that could change in regards ROP if it builds more momentum but it would be the second, just rewatch an episode or 2 from season 1 before 2 airs.
The last series I watched this way was the expanse.

I really don't every go by other peoples reviews to be honest. So many are just dumb. If I like it I watch it, if not I don't. I don't need anyone to tell me what I like, if its woke, if its entertaining etc

I think Amazon studios have some way to go, casting selection, directing etc. People forget Amazon studios are relatively new, expecting them to be as good as HBO is somewhat of an ask IMO. Whilst Amazon studios do produce some good stuff, The terminal list being one for example, they don't have the depth and history of HBO.
HBO behind some of the best most entertaining Tv series we have ever had (IMO). The Wire, Band of Brothers, GOT etc

But my position remains what its been from the start. I would rather have some average fantasy than no fantasy. Its easy for fantasy fans to forget, its not an easy sell to many of the public.
Accessible fantasy to many is not what hardcore fantasy fans would ideally want.
And I consider myself a hardcore fantasy fan btw, I read mainly 90% fantasy, I watch all fantasy films. tv series etc that I can find. (Bar Marvel which for me is just bleh)

Soldato
The horse riding scene put paid to any attraction that might have been there :p

Maybe you haven't got to that bit yet.

Maybe you have not see what I have seen.

Yeah that grin wasn't the best, it would have been better if she has a stoic look on her face. But it's the same as when you take a photo and it's caught you with an awkward smile or half closed eyes.

Permabanned
My partner calls me the memory man. Unfortunately shes being ironic. :p

You're going to have to explain this one to me...
When the building was erected in late 1905, they adjusted the foundations of it as not to appear bigger than the other buildings, their aims for the building was to not be too showy.

My partner calls me the memory man. Unfortunately shes being ironic. :p

You're going to have to explain this one to me...

The only reason for asking was that unless you literally had a photographic memory (and even most that do wouldn't remember enough about a scene to true count as able to recall the exact details) you can't remember the details of that scene enough to affect anything.
I suggest you let it go, that way it wont influence your future viewing :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
The only reason for asking was that unless you literally had a photographic memory (and even most that do wouldn't remember enough about a scene to true count as able to recall the exact details) you can't remember the details of that scene enough to affect anything.
I suggest you let it go, that way it wont influence your future viewing :)

I'm confused. Rob was talking about fancying the actress that plays Galadriel and I simply said that any attraction I might have had for her disappeared after the horse riding scene. My enjoyment of the show is not contingent on my fancying of any of the characters in it.

When the building was erected in late 1905, they adjusted the foundations of it as not to appear bigger than the other buildings, their aims for the building was to not be too showy.

You've gone and confused me even more now.

I'm confused. Rob was talking about fancying the actress that plays Galadriel and I simply said that any attraction I might have had for her disappeared after the horse riding scene. My enjoyment of the show is not contingent on my fancying of any of the characters in it.

You've gone and confused me even more now.

What I was getting at is that you are mentally actively prejudicing something since you haven't got the mental wiring to recall enough of that scene to actually trigger any actual reaction.
IE if you "fancied" her before you would not be able to recall enough data in order for that one scene to stop you fancying her now.

fez

fez

Caporegime
What I was getting at is that you are mentally actively prejudicing something since you haven't got the mental wiring to recall enough of that scene to actually trigger any actual reaction.
IE if you "fancied" her before you would not be able to recall enough data in order for that one scene to stop you fancying her now.

I think you are reading into this a little too much ;)

Back
Top Bottom