The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Man of Honour
White Knights assemble!!

Was must defend a crap TV show at all cost!!

2 sides if a coin people.
I think it’s pretty clear if you read the thread that even those enjoying it can see the flaws. What people don’t appreciate is things like people linking to YouTube videos without adding anything relevant and being all ‘See! I told you guys it sucks! Stop watching this!’

There’s a vast void between being critical and being obsessively against something to the point you try to make others stop also.

Soldato
Did you also write the classic line "Do you know why a ship floats and a stone cannot? Because the stone sees only downwards"
OMG, I have finally got round to watching Ep1 and I was going to come and post, as a joke, 'I'm not sure that's actually how a ship floating works...' :cry:

Generally, I thought it was a reasonable start and actually the hour passed quite quickly. Will watch more.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
You can’t please everyone. If you could then the world would be a boring and lonely place.

The series is really starting to open up and I think it is rather good. Some may disagree but I have better things to worry about and to bother me, like this rogue nose hair that’s currently causing my nose to twinge for example.

If you do not understand the lore or recall the original films and how they were filmed then you may not understand the series. As for why we are debating black people and women in power.. that’s how it has always been, you’ve just been ignorant to it. I sleep next to “the boss” and we have a lovely black family next door. It all seems pretty accurate both physically and culturally to me.

Soldato
I think it’s pretty clear if you read the thread that even those enjoying it can see the flaws. What people don’t appreciate is things like people linking to YouTube videos without adding anything relevant and being all ‘See! I told you guys it sucks! Stop watching this!’

There’s a vast void between being critical and being obsessively against something to the point you try to make others stop also.
I believe the Star trek thread is still like this no?

TBH you can't blame people. Some of these IP's have been constant during their whole life. They have a vested interest.

Kept the IP alive for years by spending thousands of pounds on merchandise, books and collectibles.

LOTR deserves better than getting handed to two show runners than don't have a single credit to their name going off the back of a recommendation from JJ.Abrams or was its Kurtsman?

Soldato
It's a bit cliche to be like "if you don't like it, why don't you leave/stop watching", but honestly getting that vibe here. If you don't appreciate the show, fair enough - but why are you trying to drag it down for other people who might be enjoying it? It's just endless postage about how bad or wrong it is.

Apparently he is actually legit paying to watch this one, I guess he has a Prime account, so he must feel extra specially entitled to moan about RoP.

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you do not understand the lore or recall the original films and how they were filmed then you may not understand the series. As for why we are debating black people and women in power.. that’s how it has always been, you’ve just been ignorant to it. I sleep next to “the boss” and we have a lovely black family next door. It all seems pretty accurate both physically and culturally to me.

I think that this is the crux of the issue. TV doesn't have to be culturally representative of your reality. I don't need to see loads of white people in a show/TV series about Somalia. I don't need to see a host of strong female characters in medieval style fantasy. I don't need to see the rank and file people in GoT treated like they matter because in that setting they wouldn't.

Thats what makes these things escapism. Not having modern sensibilities or desires imposed on them. Thats why the original LotR was so brilliant. Jackson even said that they want to tell Tolkiens story, not their own.

People aren't thick. They won't become racist from not seeing enough black people in Tolkiens material. They won't become sexist if they don't see all the women in RoP being the "best" characters. There are dozens of shows with strong women in them and what makes them good characters is good writing and direction. RoP is just ham-fisted and poorly done in that regard IMO. Go watch The Expanse for well written female characters in fantasy/sci-fi. The difference is massive.

You say "this is how things have always been" and you are correct. It is. So why do we need to actively change the source material to fit with our modern reality. Its a fantasy series about a time long ago.

Soldato
Apparently he is actually legit paying to watch this one, I guess he has a Prime account, so he must feel extra specially entitled to moan about RoP.

Do you mean especially?

So now criticism of a show is entitlment is it? You're entitled to like it but not to criticise it?

SHUT UP AND CONSUME.

:)

Soldato
I'm quite enjoying it. It's solidly average at best but it's decent TV to spend a hour watching.

The only two bits that have stuck out for me so far and made me laugh was the whole ignoring buoyancy for a reason a boat floats and a stone doesn't and also the weird horse riding bit in last weeks episode.
Other than those two bits which stick out to me, it's been entertaining enough. It is a bit slow but I presume it's just getting all the wheels in motion before it starts to pick up

Raz

Raz

Soldato
It's fine, some people just moan for the sake of it. Could it be better? Sure. But it's watchable, I've no problem with non-white elves or dwarfs.

It's finally made me get the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy though :D

Soldato
So what are people's theories for Meteor Man/The Stranger and Halbrand?

I'm not sure on Meteor Man. I don't think he's Gandalf, but he must be a Maia given his arrival. Possibly a pre-corrupted balrog? Or perhaps one of the blue wizards?

I have a feeling Halbrand is Sauron in his fair form. Timings don't seem to line up, but he does seem a little bit strange, especially given his admiration of Numenor

Soldato
So what are people's theories for Meteor Man/The Stranger and Halbrand?

I'm not sure on Meteor Man. I don't think he's Gandalf, but he must be a Maia given his arrival. Possibly a pre-corrupted balrog? Or perhaps one of the blue wizards?

I have a feeling Halbrand is Sauron in his fair form. Timings don't seem to line up, but he does seem a little bit strange, especially given his admiration of Numenor
Halbrand will be the witch king of angmar - i'll bet money on it.

Permabanned
Do you mean especially?

So now criticism of a show is entitlment is it? You're entitled to like it but not to criticise it?

SHUT UP AND CONSUME.

:)
To be fair it is the first series at least modern ... other than Shameless UK, This is England and Only Fools And Horses I am watching.
Though I hated the new remake of Candyman because that movie was a genuine show piece of modern propaganda.

Perhaps some people watch too many shows and get bored easily of anything new that comes out?

I had a spot where I could not enjoy most new video games coming out because I played so many in my time.
so I stopped, I then appreciated them once again.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Perhaps some people watch too many shows and get bored easily of anything new that comes out?

The quality of TV and sheer amount of good TV makes the bad stuff all the worse. Thats part of the issue. When you have a fantastic source material and almost unlimited cash, you should be making something brilliant. Thats the expectation that many will judge you against.

Permabanned
The quality of TV and sheer amount of good TV makes the bad stuff all the worse. Thats part of the issue. When you have a fantastic source material and almost unlimited cash, you should be making something brilliant. Thats the expectation that many will judge you against.
There is legit bad ones, Resident Evil has never had a good movie adaptation or show adaptation, yet Tolkiens work had way way way more work done and it criticized for tiny things.
You know, when a person can't handle a woman in a movie or show then surely they can't handle seeing a grass shrub looking a tiny bit different from whatever perceived version was in their head.
The bad RE ones are literally complete opposites of the video games, story line and lore LOL.

Back
Top Bottom