The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime

Fairly on the nose criticisms.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The best word I have heard to describe this series is pantomime. It’s just not good enough in so many areas. Every time they have a good section or scene, it’s followed by one that is just awful and reminds you that it’s all a complete mess when taken as a whole.

I think I’m out. Enjoy the series all of you that are but there are loads of shows I have been meaning to watch and this isn’t good enough to spend my time on when I could be watching something else.

Soldato
I can't imagine being that blinkered. Perhaps if you removed them you'd notice far more and read more of the article.

He's just using that as an excuse to hand-wave away an article with a lot of valid criticisms. The article was fairly measured and reasonable in it's criticism, he's right - it moves at a snail's pace, the Harfoots are irritating AF, and the cast is stuffed to the gills with girl-bosses no-one likes or takes seriously. Nice Withnail and I reference though when he called Elrond a "Perfumed ponce". :D

This made me laugh this morning, I came across it somehwere on the internet:

"Galadriel is unappealing to all 5 senses and whatever senses have yet to be discovered."

:cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t understand the hate Galadriel is getting. I think the portrayal of a younger, tempestuous warrior is believable and played well by the actress. I keep expecting her to break into the Cate Blanchett mighty queen scene version of Galadriel from LOTR.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Stopped reading at “It isn’t the gratuitously diverse casting.”

There’s the elf, the hobbit, durins wife, the queen and perhaps a few more in what is otherwise a mostly white cast.

I was watching the Durin at the table scene and it was just a bunch of white guys chatting and the only women in it were faceless extras

People act like it's just choc full of powerful women 'just because' but there are a lot more white blokes than anyone else in main/supporting roles

Elrond
Durin IV
Durin III
Celibrimbor
Gil-Galad
Isildur
Halbrand
Pharazôn
Thondir
The Stranger
Adar

Soldato
So, I am enjoying the show, but I feel like it thinks it's more than it is. I feel like they keep trying to make these deep meaning quotes, like 'the stone can only see down' that are just really bad. What was the one this week about revenge 'when you're thirsty you cannot drink sea water' or something like that. What?!

Soldato
But the writing is poo.

The time line is poo,

the acting is poo,

costume design is poo,

slowmo is pure cringe.

Elfs look like a 70's early 80's hairspray/salon advert/soap opera.

Main character is an unlikeable Karen.

But let's concentrate on people skin colour to deflect criticism.

Forbes at it again

Caporegime
So, I am enjoying the show, but I feel like it thinks it's more than it is. I feel like they keep trying to make these deep meaning quotes, like 'the stone can only see down' that are just really bad. What was the one this week about revenge 'when you're thirsty you cannot drink sea water' or something like that. What?!

Lol. I swear galadriel and the other elves in general do nothing but speak in meaningless soundbites

Caporegime
But the writing is poo.

The time line is poo,

the acting is poo,

costume design is poo,

slowmo is pure cringe.

Elfs look like a 70's early 80's hairspray/salon advert/soap opera.

Main character is an unlikeable Karen.

But let's concentrate on people skin colour to deflect criticism.

Forbes at it again

Stop watching it if you don't like it!

Honestly, I stopped watching Star Trek Discovery and then stopped posting in the star trek Discovery thread at the same time, it's not rocket science.

Soldato
Stop watching it if you don't like it!

Honestly, I stopped watching Star Trek Discovery and then stopped posting in the star trek Discovery thread at the same time, it's not rocket science.
Applies here :cry:

Glad that the people that don't like it are still watching 6 episodes later and checking in to say they don't like it.

To be fair LOTR is one of them franchises people are extremely passionate about so we should expect this kind of reaction by those that truly dislike the show. But like you and shamimebab say, you’ve said your piece now move along.

It appears some are so bitter not only do they not enjoy the show they want to make sure no one else enjoys it which is quite sad really.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Applies here :cry:

To be fair LOTR is one of them franchises people are extremely passionate about so we should expect this kind of reaction by those that truly dislike the show. But like you and shamimebab say, you’ve said your piece now move along.

It appears some are so bitter not only do they not enjoy the show they want to make sure no one else enjoys it which is quite sad really.

Did you just quote my post from a completely different thread :confused:

Man of Honour
If you don't like reading criticisms, then don't read them and certainly don't reply, it's not rocket science.
I think his point is more that it’s a little foolish to waste your time pursuing something that you don’t enjoy.

It takes very little time to scroll past your posts… but, assuming you’re still watching the show, it will have taken you a substantial time commitment to make them :o :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I think his point is more that it’s a little foolish to waste your time pursuing something that you don’t enjoy.

It takes very little time to scroll past your posts… but, assuming you’re still watching the show, it will have taken you a substantial time commitment to make them :o :p
Darujhistan likes to hate watch it so he can comment, nothing wrong with that, some people find watching awful TV shows amusing. As he said just scroll past comments that you don't agree with, it takes more effort to post 'stop watching' then it does to gloss over the ones you don't agree with..

Back
Top Bottom