The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
I think his point is more that it’s a little foolish to waste your time pursuing something that you don’t enjoy.

It takes very little time to scroll past your posts… but, assuming you’re still watching the show, it will have taken you a substantial time commitment to make them :o :p

It'd also a little foolish to waste time trying to tell how others how to spend their time isn't it?

But of course, he's not concerned with how I and others spend our time, he's doing what his ilk always does - try and silence any dissesnt.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Darujhistan likes to hate watch it so he can comment, nothing wrong with that, some people find watching awful TV shows amusing. As he said just scroll past comments that you don't agree with, it takes more effort to post 'stop watching' then it does to gloss over the ones you don't agree with..
It'd also a little foolish to waste time trying to tell how others how to spend their time isn't it?

But of course, he's not concerned with how I and others spend our time, he's doing what his ilk always does - try and silence any dissesnt.

It has never dawned on me to spend my own limited free time doing something I don’t enjoy, when there is the option to spend it doing something that I do enjoy (or at least seeking out something I enjoy).

It’s like going to a restaurant you don’t enjoy so you can critique the food further.

But, ultimately, to each their own!

Soldato
It has never dawned on me to spend my own limited free time doing something I don’t enjoy, when there is the option to spend it doing something that I do enjoy (or at least seeking out something I enjoy).

It’s like going to a restaurant you don’t enjoy so you can critique the food further.

But, ultimately, to each their own!

But how do you know I don't enjoy it?

I've actually found RoP very entertaining so far.

Again, people think they know better than I do what I enjoy and what I don't enjoy and think they can tell me how I should spend my time...

Very curious behaviour.

:)

Soldato
I want to like this but being a big fan of the books and having read them things like the time line are all over the place. Characters in this don't exist and there are plots that didn't happen whilst ignoring plots that did in the book. The acting is average, the whole thing is just average apart from the scenes. The cgi and scenes are cracking but that's it.

It's like they have piggy backed off the name and fame of the LOTR, cut the story up into sections, jumbled them up in a hat and just thrown them out there in a semi coherent order.

It's not terrible but it is neither good. Stale

According to the creatives on the show this is the story Tolkien would have written, and also updated and improved for modern audiences.

Soldato
I can't work out if you are serious or not here....

I am absolutely serious, that's what they claimed.

It is pretty obvious that's what they believe as they have chucked out anything remotely Tolkienien and supplanted it with their own nonsense of a "story" - that's also why the show has deleted Tolkien's characters (and totally altered one's that remain) and replaced them with CW level characters no-one will ever give a **** about. They even did "They took our jerbs" in EP 4 - in Middle Earth...let that sink in, they put "They took our jerbs" into Middle-Earth...:cry:

There's bits of fan-service in there for the seals to clap, there's some nice visuals for the easily pleased, but it's not Tolkien by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am absolutely serious, that's what they claimed.

It is pretty obvious that's what they believe as they have chucked out anything remotely Tolkienien and supplanted it with their own nonsense of a "story" - that's also why the show has deleted Tolkien's characters (and totally altered one's that remain) and replaced them with CW level characters no-one will ever give a **** about. They even did "They took our jerbs" in EP 4 - in Middle Earth...let that sink in, they put "They took our jerbs" into Middle-Earth...:cry:

There's bits of fan-service in there for the seals to clap, there's some nice visuals for the easily pleased, but it's not Tolkien by any stretch of the imagination.
Agree. I look at Peter Jackson's rendition of middle earth and then look at this trash and it is just not believable. It's not "gritty" or "dark" enough for me. I'm expecting a unicorn pooping rainbows at any moment!!

Soldato
Agree. I look at Peter Jackson's rendition of middle earth and then look at this trash and it is just not believable. It's not "gritty" or "dark" enough for me. I'm expecting a unicorn pooping rainbows at any moment!!

It is a mile wide and an inch deep. Jackson's trilogy had epic scale, this has nothing the "World" in tiny, there's nothing to to it, it is not alive, the crowd scenes are abysmal, there's pics of a crowd of about 100 people and half of them are just replicated. The "outdoor" scenes, such as they are, are crap, nothing like when Aragorn, Gimi and Legolas went hunting down the Orcs that had taken Merry and Pippin. You felt they were traversing a huge World, travelling great distances, this is just some sweeping shots and teleporting. I don't like the look of it either it is, it's weird, doesn't feel real. More like a theme-park.

Soldato
There definitely is something weird with the visuals, somehow looks really grand but somehow unreal. Really it's the script that lets it down, I'm only on episode 3 but some of the dialogue with the island queen is just so weak, and just some odd stuff like 'the sea is always right', could they not have found a deeper motto of some kind? The hobbits are ****, and the elves seem a bit to flawed and human seeming compared to how they are portrayed in the books.

It's not a bad show overall, but just not epic and awesome, which is what LOTR should be.

Wokeness, meh, it's not really ruined it, they've ticked some boxes and I do get the feeling any female character is automatically going to be kickass and always in the right but I don't think they've gone  that hard with it. Maybe they could've put some more effort into writing a good script instead of making it fit a certain set of values, but that might not have made any difference...

Overall, 5/10, wouldn't be watching if it wasn't LOTR.

Soldato
There definitely is something weird with the visuals, somehow looks really grand but somehow unreal. Really it's the script that lets it down, I'm only on episode 3 but some of the dialogue with the island queen is just so weak, and just some odd stuff like 'the sea is always right', could they not have found a deeper motto of some kind? The hobbits are ****, and the elves seem a bit to flawed and human seeming compared to how they are portrayed in the books.

It's not a bad show overall, but just not epic and awesome, which is what LOTR should be.

Wokeness, meh, it's not really ruined it, they've ticked some boxes and I do get the feeling any female character is automatically going to be kickass and always in the right but I don't think they've gone  that hard with it. Maybe they could've put some more effort into writing a good script instead of making it fit a certain set of values, but that might not have made any difference...

Overall, 5/10, wouldn't be watching if it wasn't LOTR.

I think it has failed in every regard to some extent, the wokeness is pretty low down on the scale. What the continual barrage of politics from the cast and showrunners for the last six months showed me about where their heads were at in planning and production was far more important than some casting choices that I disagreed with. It showed where their main concern was, because it certainly wasn't a "faithful adaptation as can be to Tolkien within the restraints of the medium and the material they had access too" - it was "It's going to be "updated" for modern audiences, and we're going to pay scant regard to the source material, because we know best".

This is why from the first glimpses they showed us, and how they spoke to the fan base, I was worried, and here we are. Anyway I've said my peace on the woke element and I don't want to go down that rabbit-hole again. The script, story, and pacing are just so bad a GOT level cast would not have saved it. And I actually think the portrayals of Disa and Andurin are certainly both "A" tier at least. As a whole the acting is pretty meh and that's being charitable.

I honestly think they may have had a sketch of a story planned out, but very little detail, instead they had bullet points, and things they wanted to hit, not just about politics either, as there's call-backs to PJ all the way through it, but collectively they didnlt have the talent to pull something as big as Tolkien off, especially as they've thrown the Lore out the window. The entire thing is built on contrivance, coincidence and mystery boxes. You can tell they did not know what they were doing with the Harfoots as their entire portrayal as a people makes literally no sense at all. Not surprsing as the showrunners have no resume whatsoever, they'd be lucky to be interns on a show of this magnitude. They make Dave and Dave look like Kubrick and Speilberg.

I still hope this can be turned round and saved from S3 onwards, because i'm betting it is too late for S2. But knowing the absolute hubris of this giga-corporations and their creatives they hire I can't see it, because that would be them admitting they were wrong and the fans were right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom