The Man-Cave

Caporegime
No way is that true? Completely ruined this for me if it is.

No idea, I just remember seeing posts and a meme near the start of the thread taking the **** out of it for calling it a "mancave" yet having it in the parents garden.

Either way, it seems a bit odd to have a shower/bathroom and double bed in the "mancave" if living with the wife/girlfriend though :p

Soldato
Is the wood cladding on the walls a special type? I.E do you have to order a non-splintery version if the internal wall is for indoor use? (like cabin grade instead of shed grade or something?).

Soldato
OP
erm if we just do
Base i used wood & cemented slabs cost me around £300 vs £1k for full cement.
Cabin was around 9K ( can get cheaper)
Electrics was around 500 (for own fusebox + 30 odd triple sockets) (mates rates too)
insulation cost me 200 odd should have cost me more like 600 (found a good deal on gumtree)

thats the basics so around 10K, i would budget 12K

that does not add in Flooring,A/C,Other equipment ofc
paint is around £80 every few years.

if your going to do it & leave it not used for peroids ensure you heat it every few days to stop any moisture condensation etc

if you go here
http://www.carrgardenbuildings.co.uk/our-range/superlog-cabins/44mm-70mm-log-cabins.htm

get a rough price and add in your extras at the bottom.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Mine would be used daily, unless abroad :p

Thanks for the info. Did you need any planning permission? Here in London, it feels like you need it for everything...

Get some new pictures up if you can :)

Soldato
OP
Mine would be used daily, unless abroad :p

Thanks for the info. Did you need any planning permission? Here in London, it feels like you need it for everything...

Get some new pictures up if you can :)
Council depending most say under 22ft by 16ft floor distance NOT building distance does not need it but best to check. As they can knock it down!!

Soldato
mid 20s, already have my own place. plus the kit in here can be moved with very little effort.

Nice build. Only thing more impressive is how many forums you have posted this on... Surprised you had much time to build :p

But why this in your parents place when you have your own place?!

What do you even do for a job?! By the time I finish work and adulting i want to enjoy my own place, not live in my mum and dads back garden!

Soldato
OP
Nice build. Only thing more impressive is how many forums you have posted this on... Surprised you had much time to build :p

But why this in your parents place when you have your own place?!

What do you even do for a job?! By the time I finish work and adulting i want to enjoy my own place, not live in my mum and dads back garden!

1) i only posted this on 3 forums. thats it. the rest was done by Ocuk Facebook members. Heck i had people in China asking for permission to use my images.... not sure why lol
2) i design create and maintain automated systems.
3) earning a income on a place is much better than loving in it. for the moment :p

Soldato
OP
just a few updates. my Ankle is fubared again so cant finish off some things in these pictures. lets just say 4K monitor is coming back to my desk soon. & cable tidying is on my agenda.
Currently using a Zimmer frame that is how hard its got right now lol :D

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Associate
Absolutely fantastic Smogsy, and don't listen to the nay-sayers, you are completely right to get one property paid for asap, meantime you live in what can only be described as a top class Hotel Room with all the tech you could ever need!!! I'm quite fortunate in that I have a very large plot for Birmingham! As such I have a summer house similar in size to yours, and have just completed a 'workshop'. Somewhere I can do my woodcutting/gardening, without all the dust going in my tech! I use panel heaters a lot. They cost pennies to run all day, maybe as little as 2 or 3p a day per heater, however they keep my greenhouse warm, and mine is 10foot x 12!! They also keep my summer house and my workshop warm. They aren't the nicest looking, but nothing stopping you putting radiator covers over them, BUT my summer house is maybe 8 metres by 6 approx, 4 of these little babies keep it warm as toast even in the worst of the winter, and costs sod all. They are super easy to rig up to a thermostat. I'm betting you notice the electricity bill with the A/C, but I run like near 10 of these throughout Nov - March, didn't notice any jump in price on my bill and all the rooms, (even the g/h) are kept at a nice temp. They retail about £50 quid a pop, and touch wood all still working tirelessly 4 years later. Just a headsup, my folks have a home in Malta, they have aircon, in the summer it costs a fortune, but the heating in the winter is an outrage as to how much it costs!!! Unsurprisingly we now have panel heaters out there now, they won't really burn your hand if you hold them, but they are constantly pumping out the heat, and it's a 'dry' heat, so no condensation worries. My folks bought some nice radiator covers which we painted and they look great. Just a solution that I found by accident! I wanted to keep my G/H warm (well about 6-10C) during winter, I looked at all sorts of fan heaters etc and more importantly their cost to run, hence the panel heaters. I worked out using a top of the range G/H fanheater for a week equates to more than 10 weeks of my panels being on 24/7 lol. Thanks for sharing your space with us, a brilliant build and gives people like me stuff to aspire to! (Don't tell the missus) What's next? Subterranean swimming pool?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Absolutely fantastic Smogsy, and don't listen to the nay-sayers, you are completely right to get one property paid for asap, meantime you live in what can only be described as a top class Hotel Room with all the tech you could ever need!!!
This. As long as you are happy, who gives a crap what other think anyway :)

Soldato
OP
cheers guys, after an Xray they found that i have bone Spur in the back of my ankle/heel. that digging in my Tendern, the spur looks like a cat claw. :(

Back
Top Bottom