**The Mental Health Thread**

Who thinks money buys happiness?

Depends what kind of money we're talking and how it was earned and then how it is spent.

Large winnings/inheritance may give you some immediate freedom but is very unlikely to happen and if you already have bad habits this can exaccerbate them, for example if you're a regular cocaine user but you couldn't afford to take the stuff that often? Not going to go well.

The other option is you're going to have to earn it and outside of some select few high earning positions with little stress you're going to be looking at the opposite, high stress levels for years on end unless you're one of the few who can naturally cope with stress easily, this number is thought to be somewhere under 5% and then you're looking at the number within this who have the intelligence or skills required for the high earning positions. It must feel incredibly satisfying though knowing you've earnt your lot and I think that's what many of us are missing out on, we know the path but few of us have what it takes (particularly if you have a mental illness) but I also think many of us won't even take the first steps. I think you absolutely need to challenge yourself if you want a real sense of self worth and esteem, as each time you let yourself down you tell yourself it was for the best as it avoided stress or anxiety in that situation, but subconciously it just erodes away at the underlying problem.

It's an interesting thought that in times of the most freedom we've had as well as the most oppertunity that more and more of us don't seem to be getting anything from it, as alluded to earlier in the thread, a hundred years ago your job was pretty much set in stone as a coal miner, maybe most of them were depressed or maybe they just didn't have the time to think or it hasn't been till recently that our environment has changed our thought process.

This post has went a little off topic as it was originally about money but I've turned it more into a how we earn it post, so apologies.

Edit: I've also just realised how awfully my writing flows, not surprising I failed English :o

Last edited:
its getting late I will leave this here....

Night Night.

People get a dopamine hit when they get/send txts? and when they gamble? and when they go on social media and post garbage? WTF do they really? Turned off at that point.

I don't think that video is really relevant here, because I'll assume most of us in this thread are not millenials.

Last edited:
People get a dopamine hit when they get/send txts? and when they gamble? and when they go on social media and post garbage? WTF do they really? Turned off at that point.

I don't think that video is really relevant here, because I'll assume most of us in this thread are not millenials.

Haven't watched that video so i'll reply based on your comment. There are some pretty extensive tests that show we do get a dopamine response based on likes on instagram/facebook, depends how entrenched it is in our daily life though.

I'm not a millenial, i'm 38 but I use facebook many times a day, used it since it first became public use as an ex girlfriend at Warwick university made me aware of it in early 2007.

I've already posted in this thread about my problems, i took the plunge and saw a doctor yesterday, I say doctor but it was a PMP and I see a regular doctor next week. I was signed off work for two weeks and have somewhere to call to talk to someone about my problems. I did go back to work after the appointment but only lasted 2 hours before speaking to my manager about my problem. He was surprisingly overwhelmingly supportive and told me to do whatever it takes to get myself back to normal.

On an aside to that I immediately deactivated my facebook as it's a time sink and distraction, found myself at a loose end a few times yesterday when habit had me picking up my phone to see what's on facebook. Ended up sitting down and doing a small lego kit for a few hours, a far better distraction I feel.

Slept solidly last night but feel "icky" this morning, a dark weight that I can't shake, gonna try and use these two weeks to get out the house as much as I can rather than just sitting playing on the PC on the rare occasions my baby is sleeping.

I use instagram and facebook as well as whatsapp and the idea that getting a text or a like to a photo or status update does make you feel good, and I'm 44 this year. I have had to really stop myself from checking facebook every minute as it can be a real time sink

Best to find other things to do, I'm finding shoot em up games on playstation to be working really well and going out. Even if just on my own. Walks are good for the mind.

Must admit I'm tempted to come off social media in the short term until I'm feeling a bit better about myself. Its a challenge though as I find myself browsing it when bored, and because I have absolutely no interest in all the things I used to enjoy I find myself bored, a lot.

Argh.

I wish the effects of strenous exercise lasted longer, I feel great after interval running for around 20 minutes, like I could take on anything, then it fades and sometimes to the point where I feel worse than I did beforehand.

Must admit I'm tempted to come off social media in the short term until I'm feeling a bit better about myself. Its a challenge though as I find myself browsing it when bored, and because I have absolutely no interest in all the things I used to enjoy I find myself bored, a lot.

Argh.

Bad cycle really. One I know about. I have started to reduce social media time, and playing single player games, going out for more walks and indulging in Lego building - all the things I like to do, and its helping my mood massively

I wish the effects of strenous exercise lasted longer, I feel great after interval running for around 20 minutes, like I could take on anything, then it fades and sometimes to the point where I feel worse than I did beforehand.

I feel you, I just wish I could push myself harder for longer.

The only time in the last 12 weeks that my head has been close to clear has been while I'm at the gym, and I've been throwing myself into it relentlessly, but 20 minutes after I get back home I'm back into the same pit of despair.

its getting late I will leave this here....

Night Night.

Are you trolling or something?

Your first contribution to the thread was questioning whether it was a medical thread and now we've got the above clip from some "motivational speaker" about millennials - what has this got to do with mental health?

what happened to the no medical thread rule?

or is mental health not considered 'medical' by this forum?

#controversial

:eek:

I'm not a millenial, i'm 38 but I use facebook many times a day, used it since it first became public use as an ex girlfriend at Warwick university made me aware of it in early 2007.

Interesting age, now I don't like the term millennial as it is just a way to take some kind of moral high ground over 'younger' people by nothing more then the merit of age, now you say that you are 38 which would put you 'JUST about' outside the millennial age range (by the definition from the quote below) so what are you implying by stating you're age in this way?

Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

Interesting age, now I don't like the term millennial as it is just a way to take some kind of moral high ground over 'younger' people by nothing more then the merit of age, now you say that you are 38 which would put you 'JUST about' outside the millennial age range (by the definition from the quote below) so what are you implying by stating you're age in this way?

Maybe I just don't know what a millennial is, I assumed it was those born about the turn of 1990 and reaching teen years around 2000.

Fair enough, I wouldn't worry about the exact definition of what a millennial is as many sources have their own definition of this term and at the end of the day it is just a silly made-up word which counts for nothing of value to give credit to ill-thought arguments made up by 'older folk' to made the younger feel bad.

every generation blames the previous one for Quote: 'making a mess of the world' and looks down upon the new generations for 'not having a clue about anything in the world' History will always 'rinse and repeat'

Fair enough, I wouldn't worry about the exact definition of what a millennial is as many sources have their own definition of this term and at the end of the day it is just a silly made-up word which counts for nothing of value to give credit to ill-thought arguments made up by 'older folk' to made the younger feel bad.

every generation blames the previous one for Quote: 'making a mess of the world' and looks down upon the new generations for 'not having a clue about anything in the world' History will always 'rinse and repeat'

It was no judgement on my part towards millennials, I just thought i was out of that bracket and was Gen-X or whatever BS labels are applied to people born in certain decades.

I'm enough of a realist to know that change in our time comes from those in our time and we can't blame those before or whoever comes after.

Can we not derail want is an important thread for many people with details of what millenials are and pointless posts please?

Well its all about trying to find what the root cause of this exponential increase in mental health problems over recent years, across ALL generations and ALL walks of life, I am trying to say that these issues don't lead back to one finite cause it is a growing problem that can hit anyone at any stage of life from the successful/famous all the way down to the bottom end of the income/success scale, the question we should be asking is what is it about 'modern life' that is causing or worsening these issues and what can be done about it?

Is it not simply down to the problem being more openly recognised and folks not being told to just man up?

Quite possibly, although this would indicate that mental health issues in any society is simply inevitable and can not be prevented which leads to the normalisation of anxiety/depression which creates a paradox where being open about it forces suffers into a state of feeling that they need to get on with life to the best of their ability knowing that the majority of the population suffer from these problems and find it pointless to seek out medical help as they accept these issues as being hard-wired into human nature

Is it not simply down to the problem being more openly recognised and folks not being told to just man up?

I'd suspect so... I mean the idea that say people in victorian workhouses didn't suffer immense workplace stress or say the people from our grandparents generation who had to live through the blitz etc.. would be ridiculous. I'd say it is very likely down to greater recognition of mental health issues.

Quite possibly, although this would indicate that mental health issues in any society is simply inevitable and can not be prevented which leads to the normalisation of anxiety/depression which creates a paradox where being open about it forces suffers into a state of feeling that they need to get on with life to the best of their ability knowing that the majority of the population suffer from these problems and find it pointless to seek out medical help as they accept these issues as being hard-wired into human nature

I'd disagree there, greater understanding/awareness of mental health doesn't mean we need simply consider them to be inevitable - workplaces are trying to look at ways to reduce stress, allow for flexible working, let people work form home, create more relaxed environments, crack down on say bullying, discrimination etc.. allow for suitable paternity/maternity leave etc..etc..etc.. Even banks recently have become quite conscious about how many hours they're making their interns work.

Back
Top Bottom