**The Mental Health Thread**

Well this is not normally a thread I follow but apologies in advance as I just need to vent as I’m having as dark a day as I can ever remember.

The past couple of years have been pretty difficult, right at the beginning of the very first Covid lockdown my cousin died suddenly due to complications associated with contracting Covid. A real bolt out of the blue, only 53 and went from being well to hospital in days. She was a nice person and missed very much.

Three weeks later we had one of those odd late night calls you don’t normally expect informing us a life-long friend had died suddenly. This was pretty tough as we’d grown up together and always been close.

Jump forwards to July 6th and we had awful news that my aunt had passed away suddenly (cardiac arrest) this felt crushing as I lost my farther as a teenager and my aunt had been like my second mum. My aunt was one of those family-rocks that cement everyone together. It’s difficult to put into words how hard that hit me and the family. Apart from being my mother’s sister she was her best friend so it felt devastating.

Mid October a friend and neighbor developed sepsis while being treated in hospital and slowly passed away over the course of a couple of weeks. Just a nice friend that I looked forwards to passing the day with and having a cuppa. A kind soul.

Calling it a tough few months was an understatement.

At the end of November my old mum (85) discovered a lump in her breast. By 2nd December mum had had a mastectomy to remove the cancer and scheduled a course of radio therapy. It’s a tough thing for any woman to have to go through but at 85 Jesus it was tough.

Just at the end of April due to an infection from the operation mum had a fall. Then the following day I had a heart attack so we were both in hospital at the same time. The world really did feel like it was starting to unravel.

Thankfully we both recovered slowly. Cancer treatment was successful and I started pottering around as normal. Life goes on.

Come July I was back in coronary care with another heart attack so another dire couple of weeks. I came out to the news that my mate and friend of 40+ years had died. No one dare tell me while I was in hospital. To be fair I’ve had long standing heart problems for 25+ years but I’m normally pretty stable and resilient. The friend I lost was my sounding board for years.

Jump forwards to November and I’ve had yet another small heart attack with suspected pericarditis possibly triggered by catching Covid. So another week in coronary care/cardiac wards. I made it a whole 3 weeks before the next heart attack and another 9 days in hospital. Very tough this time as the new medication I started for my heart just wrecked my stomach and bowel. Just not nice. MRI scan on heart said it’s had a kicking. Just to rub salt into the wound they tell me I only have around 3-4 months before my pacemaker will need changing so something else to look forwards to.

I’ve been home since Friday evening.

Upshot is I feel spent and the moment. I think it’s all just caught up with me. I’ve tried to just do normal stuff but I just feel absolutely numb somehow a very strange feeling, I can't seem to hold focus and concentrate on anything. Thought if I vent a bit it might help??

Last edited:
That's bound to be a lot weighing on your mind. It's ok if you're unable to focus or concentrate, if you're processing stuff. You might need a break. Well done for coming and talking, it really can help. Don't be afraid to take some time for yourself to be scared, worried or just shell-shocked.

So it's getting to my least favourite time of year. And I'm now getting anxious about Christmas.

Christmas has turned from a time I used to love to a time I can't wait for it to be over. This year even worse.

My partner is in poor health, her mum is in poor health, my parents are just miserable/deep depression

This means I have to drive 100s of miles (600+) over a week. Never staying more than 2 or 3 days at any one place. With people who drain me emotionally with little support from partner. (she can't even help drive this year)

Coupled to this I've just started a new more. Senior job.

Its hard enough with partners health as it is with my mental health. But Christmas always drags me down.

I've put my foot down this year and said that I can't keep doing this to this extent . Which I think has upset my partner. I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Next year has to be different.

I don't know what next year will look like. Can't even do the "go abroad for Christmas" as my partners family would not be happy. And I can't just go as my partners health has gotten so bad and unpredictable she can't really drive that far.

So not only are things not great at home (feeling more like a carer every week) Christmas really hits hard.

Maybe if my mental health wasn't poor and in constant need of management it would be OK. But it isn't.

Just a vent. Managed not to think about it until this week. But obviously with Xmas so close its now hitting home.

Last edited:
Sounds rough, is there any way you can carve out some 'me' time somewhere? Even if its after Christmas/NY. At least you can have something to look forward to as it were. Don't feel guilty about trying to look after yourself - maybe try and explain to your parter that you're running on empty and you want to be able to look after them but also feel that if you don't do something you'll burn out and be no good to anyone. There isn't really a simple answer to this, but if you can work with your partner and figure out a way forward together it'll be easier I think.

I do feel a similar sort of weight with Christmas coming up though (albeit for different reasons), and I can only sympathise it's not nice.

On my health, my Doc ended up sending me to A&E after I said I had an anxious feeling in my chest + high blood pressure. They were worried it was a heard issue, even though I knew it was just stress/anxiety related :rolleyes:. So 5hrs 'wasted' at A&E plus their time wasted to be told my heart is fine...

Back to the Doc and they said either BP meds to lower the blood pressure, or something for the anxiety to see if that helps. So I've got some Diazepam for a couple of weeks to see how I go. I am feeling a little better, but I've got a few things to look forward to which helps. Just want to be able to get through xmas now, I think I'll feel better once that's over with...

On my health, my Doc ended up sending me to A&E after I said I had an anxious feeling in my chest + high blood pressure. They were worried it was a heard issue, even though I knew it was just stress/anxiety related :rolleyes:. So 5hrs 'wasted' at A&E plus their time wasted to be told my heart is fine...

Back to the Doc and they said either BP meds to lower the blood pressure, or something for the anxiety to see if that helps. So I've got some Diazepam for a couple of weeks to see how I go. I am feeling a little better, but I've got a few things to look forward to which helps. Just want to be able to get through xmas now, I think I'll feel better once that's over with...

Are you able to enjoy Christmas or just want it over?
Better to go to A&E and have nothing though than not and it be something.
Health is so important. Spent a lot. Of time there over September. Just sucked all life out of me.

Are you able to enjoy Christmas or just want it over?
Better to go to A&E and have nothing though than not and it be something.
Health is so important. Spent a lot. Of time there over September. Just sucked all life out of me.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few friends over the xmas period, but mostly just want it over. It's not like I don't like xmas, but it's a little painful at the moment due to issues at home.

Gone cold turkey on the metazapine,been 3 weeks now, doing ok, got fed up with undeserved fat levels.
I am now on vegan omega 3 and ditched all processed food., Not that I had much before but all fresh now plus more fruit and fibre.
I always said I wouldn't go to a 36 waist from a 34 and I am sticking to it (6ft2)

Had a bad couple of days with my Anxiety feel like I’m getting nowhere sometimes. Have a decent ish couple of days then boom full on horrid day and night. Trying hard to stay off anything other than a small amount of Mirtazapine but getting a bit fed up now.

I’m booked for more intensive face to face CBT but unfortunately due to wait lists there is quite a delay. I have online stuff to do and it’s helpful but for me I find talking to a therapist far more beneficial.

Just got to push on but bloody hell it’s hard some days. It’s fascinating and scary that our minds can do this to us….

Last edited:
Definitely feel you on the anxiety front - really dreading Christmas due to being physcially socially isolated for nearly 2 years. Gotta put up with (yeah put up with ain't a great attitude) my sister/BIL, niblings and the damned dog. Only be for a few hours but it's got me nervous and dreading it already.

In addition to that (or because of that?) I'm not sleeping well again but I did just get a new CPAP mask so maybe that will help?

Definitely feel you on the anxiety front - really dreading Christmas due to being physcially socially isolated for nearly 2 years. Gotta put up with (yeah put up with ain't a great attitude) my sister/BIL, niblings and the damned dog. Only be for a few hours but it's got me nervous and dreading it already.

In addition to that (or because of that?) I'm not sleeping well again but I did just get a new CPAP mask so maybe that will help?

Sorry you feel bad mate try and make some time for yourself especially if you feel overwhelmed.

I find with my Anxiety I just cannot relax and spend a lot of time keeping busy which is tiring and then if it continues until bed time it makes sleeping difficult which for me just fuels the anxiety even more.

Im both looking forward to Christmas and dreading it at the same time. It will disrupt my routine a fair bit which will affect the anxiety. I get anxious about being anxious if that makes sense. Sometimes it just feels like you cannot win or in my case when I start doing ok my Health Anxiety chirps in about something usually my back and the circle starts again….. Blehhhhh.

I was going to say maybe a better mask would help but then I re-read that….lol

Last edited:
Been back to the Dr today and have been told to up my Mirtazapine to 7.5mg from 3.75mg as my sleep is not good. No idea why but it’s giving me huge anxiety upping the dose. It’s still a small amount but my mind is racing about it….

I wish I could just do as they say without all the worry but then I suppose I would be normal and where’s the fun in that…

Been back to the Dr today and have been told to up my Mirtazapine to 7.5mg from 3.75mg as my sleep is not good. No idea why but it’s giving me huge anxiety upping the dose. It’s still a small amount but my mind is racing about it….

I wish I could just do as they say without all the worry but then I suppose I would be normal and where’s the fun in that…

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast bud. Mole-hills become mountains and you can't shut off. Feeling tired but not being able to sleep just makes it worse. Fingers crossed a little more medication will hopefully make you feel lots better going forwards. I take a ton of medication for my heart failure. Most of the time I just get on with it as it's a necessary evil. But when I'm not feeling so good it just feels like one more straw for the camels back. I think the trick is not to be too hard on yourself because you feel like you do.

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast bud. Mole-hills become mountains and you can't shut off. Feeling tired but not being able to sleep just makes it worse. Fingers crossed a little more medication will hopefully make you feel lots better going forwards. I take a ton of medication for my heart failure. Most of the time I just get on with it as it's a necessary evil. But when I'm not feeling so good it just feels like one more straw for the camels back. I think the trick is not to be too hard on yourself because you feel like you do.

Yeah I need to at least try before I make my judgment. I also need to stop re-searching everything in detail too as I know it does not help but that’s my main Anxiety issue I need too much information.

As my Wife says “sometimes I’m my own worst enemy”.

The new cpap mask is a much better fit but sadly so no help. Exhausted beyond belief and no amount of sleep helps.

Completely blew up at my parents today when they apparently pushed the wrong button only for me to instantly apologise and break down in front of them.

Utterly broken and I still don't know what is wrong.

Struggling a bit today, feeling quite lonely

My mum isn't coming over this evening like she normally does as she's not very well, 2 step kids are going to their dad's this afternoon, which will leave just me, wife and our 12 year old son.

Doesn't feel special or Christmassy at all, can't wait for it to be over to be honest :(

Doesn't feel special or Christmassy at all, can't wait for it to be over to be honest :(
The problem is that we are all duped into making Christmas "special." Don't get me wrong it's nice to have nice day with family if you can (personally I'm always glad to get rid of them and unwind) But most of the pressure comes from external forces that simply want you to spend money or are self inflicted trying too hard; when it's only a day the same as the other 364. As I've got older Christmases have become quieter as a matter of course, but also as I've stopped running round to suit other peoples expectations. Initially I missed the hustle and bustle. Now I just let it pass over.

Agree with the above - I hate the pressure to enjoy Christmas and there's weeks of it. Between being a disorganised mess and a bit rebellious/contrary I don't usually buy presents and don't particularly want any. It can be a rough time until the day has passed.

As I've got older I've worked out what I enjoy and done that - so long as I get to eat an unreasonable amount of chocolate and some fancy crisps, and watch Aladdin on the sofa, I'm happy. Those are my Christmas traditions so there we go. I end up playing cabbie for my girlfriend (actually likes to visit her family) and my mum (drive her over to my sister's) but I'm just coasting along on what other people want to do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom