**The Mental Health Thread**

I know, but I always had myself down as a strong person.

It has deeply shocked me that even a person like myself can enter a dimension that only those are in, realise just how bad it can get.

It doesn't make you not a strong person or weak in anyway. It just makes you human.

You mentioned you think it could be related to having to deal with people with hardships, if you're not talking to anyone about some of this it'll just be bottling up building pressure. Even just openly talking amongst people at work doing a similar thing could help. Maybe speak to someone at wort to see what they can help or support with.

It doesn't make you not a strong person or weak in anyway. It just makes you human.

You mentioned you think it could be related to having to deal with people with hardships, if you're not talking to anyone about some of this it'll just be bottling up building pressure. Even just openly talking amongst people at work doing a similar thing could help. Maybe speak to someone at wort to see what they can help or support with.
I have, due to the nature of the role. All I got told was that I have to “emotionally detach” myself for the task in hand. It’s difficult as the people I deal with do have to pay this money, but due to the circumstances due to cost of living, they simply do not have it, or cannot afford to pay it in one lump sum.

Sadly I can’t change the way I am. I simply care too much for my own good.

I am going to monitor myself and see how I feel when I’m at work whilst taking the medication. Though my gut tells me the role is no longer for me.

Perhaps the role isn't for you (I could also argue someone doing that role should be empathetic to the people they're dealing with...) - but it's not very a very helpful response that you need to detach yourself as it's easier said than done. In an ideal world they would offer in some way to help, even if it's just setting up a safe space for other people doing the same role to have the ability to vent/talk. It may be something you could talk to a colleague about - but obviously you know best about the workplace and people you work with, so this may not be feasible.

One bit of advice though, blaming a thing on how you feel isn't always helpful. Whilst it may be true that in your case the work you're having to deal with is making you feel a certain way. It sounds a bit cliché but try and put some perspective on what you can do for yourself, steps you can make to change the situation or ways you can deal with things better. Yes, easier said than done. But the reality is, if it's raining outside and the washing is getting wet - staring at it out of the window won't do any good. You need to try and find a way to help yourself better.

And again, this doesn't make you less or weak in any way. You wouldn't feel this way about yourself if you caught the flu would you? It happens, you can't always predict or control it - but once you acknowledge it and accept it you can start to forge a way through it.

Perhaps the role isn't for you (I could also argue someone doing that role should be empathetic to the people they're dealing with...) - but it's not very a very helpful response that you need to detach yourself as it's easier said than done. In an ideal world they would offer in some way to help, even if it's just setting up a safe space for other people doing the same role to have the ability to vent/talk. It may be something you could talk to a colleague about - but obviously you know best about the workplace and people you work with, so this may not be feasible.

One bit of advice though, blaming a thing on how you feel isn't always helpful. Whilst it may be true that in your case the work you're having to deal with is making you feel a certain way. It sounds a bit cliché but try and put some perspective on what you can do for yourself, steps you can make to change the situation or ways you can deal with things better. Yes, easier said than done. But the reality is, if it's raining outside and the washing is getting wet - staring at it out of the window won't do any good. You need to try and find a way to help yourself better.

And again, this doesn't make you less or weak in any way. You wouldn't feel this way about yourself if you caught the flu would you? It happens, you can't always predict or control it - but once you acknowledge it and accept it you can start to forge a way through it.

I agree with how you’ve explained it but I feel you need to lack moral compassion to excel at the role I do. I do my role well, but it’s taking it “home” which has elaborated my mental health issues. It came quite apparent in the last month.

I remember people I’ve dealt with, and feel that I couldn’t help them further (limit to what I can do in my power) and I guess it’s the general feeling sorry for people.

I’ve not put myself first which has made me realise that I too am a human and sadly have emotional needs. I do feel weak as I should be more resilient especially in a society where the majority of humans do not care much if at all, as long as it doesn’t affect them.

My work team are brilliant, they’re great people but I’m 100% certain the role is no longer for me. I haven’t been there long so I won’t miss it, but will miss my colleagues.

I’ve spoken to my manager about notice period and he said he’d speak to me tomorrow. I’ve signed off from work for a short term just to see how I react to these medications and if there is an improvement in my mental state.

Still, the more I have thought about it the more I do think it’s sadly the job. I am rather saddened as it’s a stepping stone to a career. Though having worked in that area I have thought maybe it’s just not for me.

If anyone is curious, I work as a CS in Tax.

An app for meditation and suchlike are offering a free year to new customers. Seems decent enough from the 10 minutes I did this evening. I've never been able to stick to a routine with deep breathing before so I'm hoping this will be just the ticket.

Suffered a vertebral artery dissection on Friday which lead to a stroke. Currently on Mirtazapine have been for the past 2 years and been good just on the one medication, hardly suffer anxiety OCD sleepless night or other issues.

But I've been knocked for 6. Anxiety is off the chart, panic attacks. It's been a tough week. I feel I need to have a word with my GP to see if there is anything else I can take alongside Mirtazapine. The stroke rehabilitation team is a 4-6 week wait so the GP will have to do for now.

Not sure if the Aspirin and clopidogrel codine and paracetamol are making me hyper sensitive and worse. Confused.

An app for meditation and suchlike are offering a free year to new customers. Seems decent enough from the 10 minutes I did this evening. I've never been able to stick to a routine with deep breathing before so I'm hoping this will be just the ticket.

Definitely worth a look thanks for sharing.

Suffered a vertebral artery dissection on Friday which lead to a stroke. Currently on Mirtazapine have been for the past 2 years and been good just on the one medication, hardly suffer anxiety OCD sleepless night or other issues.

But I've been knocked for 6. Anxiety is off the chart, panic attacks. It's been a tough week. I feel I need to have a word with my GP to see if there is anything else I can take alongside Mirtazapine. The stroke rehabilitation team is a 4-6 week wait so the GP will have to do for now.

Not sure if the Aspirin and clopidogrel codine and paracetamol are making me hyper sensitive and worse. Confused.
Geez take care fella

Codine and para is a no no for me yes I find it elevates it too.

Last edited:

Bloody hell mate sorry to hear was it an injury ?

When I was on lots of meds for a Colitis flare it also seemed to numb the effect of my Anxiety med and cause my Anxiety to flare too. Its definitely worth bringing it up with your GP and seeing what else they can offer.

Hope you have a smooth recovery.

Geez take care fella

Codine and para is a no no for me yes I find it elevates it too.

Thank you :) I really do think the codine is having a big effect, feel numb but a lot more sensitive to noises, bangs it's strange. I've been given 10mg Amitriptyline to try and move away from the codine when I got discharged but not yet taken any.

Bloody hell mate sorry to hear was it an injury ?

When I was on lots of meds for a Colitis flare it also seemed to numb the effect of my Anxiety med and cause my Anxiety to flare too. Its definitely worth bringing it up with your GP and seeing what else they can offer.

Hope you have a smooth recovery.

It was random, happened on Friday evening, all of a sudden I collapsed and woke up in the LGI :(

I think my body is in shock with all the extra medication it's something I'm not used to. I'll have a word in the morning with the GP to see if there is anything to try alongside Mirtazapine for anxiety.

Thank you :) I really do think the codine is having a big effect, feel numb but a lot more sensitive to noises, bangs it's strange. I've been given 10mg Amitriptyline to try and move away from the codine when I got discharged but not yet taken any.

It was random, happened on Friday evening, all of a sudden I collapsed and woke up in the LGI :(

I think my body is in shock with all the extra medication it's something I'm not used to. I'll have a word in the morning with the GP to see if there is anything to try alongside Mirtazapine for anxiety.

Yeah worth a chat maybe they can give you something short term whilst your body adapts to the new meds or even up the Mirtazapine for a while if that’s an option for you.

I was reading about this happening after Covid jabs a few weeks back as someone was claiming it to be the cause when they had this happen. Never really sure if it’s just gobbldegook about jabs tbh..

Get all the help you can to aid recovery and get you sorted asap.

Last edited:

Stay off the codine been on prozac for years seems to take the edge off most days. Been introduced to diazipan for only when it's really bad. Stay in contact with your doc and take care buddy.

Last edited:

Just been trying the App. The thunderstorm which vibrates your phone is fantastic it really helps concentrate your thoughts as it’s physical as well as audio.

Those medications shouldn't affect a) your anxiety b) the mirtazapine.

Last edited:

That's terrible. Fingers crossed to a good recovery.

I keep waking up at 4am so thought I'd try the Balance "Get back to sleep" meditation. You have to count down from 100 to 1 on every exhale of breath. And start again if you're still awake. I think I counted about 250 breaths before I eventually nodded off. I'm loving this app though.

The other thing I'm noticing is that the sertraline seems to be calming my gut. Previously I'd be on the lav 3-4 times a day with IBS/anxiety and now I'm going only once or twice. That's made a huge difference to things.

Off to the GP tomorrow as my BP is pretty high which I think could be stress/anxiety related. Has anyone had similar? I can feel my heart rate is higher than it should be (sits around 70-90 resting, not the 55-70 it usually is) and BP is on the borderline of hypertension (138/99).

Not really sure what the GP will suggest other than something to lower my BP :confused:

Off to the GP tomorrow as my BP is pretty high which I think could be stress/anxiety related. Has anyone had similar? I can feel my heart rate is higher than it should be (sits around 70-90 resting, not the 55-70 it usually is) and BP is on the borderline of hypertension (138/99).

Not really sure what the GP will suggest other than something to lower my BP :confused:

i average 150/120 take no meds for it.

I can manually lower my heartbeat when it races by doing breathing exercise. Been doing it so long I kind of automatically do it now….

Have you tried doing any breathing exercises ? It really can help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom