**The Mental Health Thread**

I found this, paradoxical effect - more medication means less sleepy side effects. I found upping the dose and having it with a full glass of water minimised the passing out.

Explains why my 3.75mg is very effective for sleep. No idea why it gave me restless arms as I have used them before without issue. My CNS is probably pooped out and sensitive to everything…..

So these benzos - I’m not really fully aware of what they are. So if the doc asks “Why do you want them?” I would say to help me relax as I am on edge all the time.

Is this what they do?

EDIT: Yeah, just as I thought. Spoke to the docs and he said it's way too early to be thinking about benzos. He is upping the sertraline to 100mg/day as that's the preferred medication these days.

Last edited:
So these benzos - I’m not really fully aware of what they are. So if the doc asks “Why do you want them?” I would say to help me relax as I am on edge all the time.

Is this what they do?

EDIT: Yeah, just as I thought. Spoke to the docs and he said it's way too early to be thinking about benzos. He is upping the sertraline to 100mg/day as that's the preferred medication these days.

Benzos are fast acting so can reduce Anxiety in a few hours or less trouble is they are very addictive and a nightmare to stop when you need to if you have taken them regularly.

Is this what they do?

They can offer you pregablin which can help with anxiety. I'd honestly say that benzos should only be used for 2 weeks or in a hospital setting.

5 years of diazepam and now my original anxiety is 10 times worse than before and the withdrawals are unbelievable.

Sertraline definitely helps at higher doses.

Last edited:
Another day feeling awful just feel restless with a horrid feeling overall. Think I might need to ask what else can be done as I cannot carry on feeling like this…..

Blehhhhhhh

Another day feeling awful just feel restless with a horrid feeling overall. Think I might need to ask what else can be done as I cannot carry on feeling like this…..

Blehhhhhhh

Are you filling your days with stuff to do, as if you didn't suffer from these problems? Sounds like the 'awful feeling' is smothering you a bit, might need to fill your days up with activities that involve 'doing things' for a bit of a mental refreshment?

Also, are you smashing out the exercise? I'm now swimming four times a week (early morning) which has given a bit of routine and breaks up the week into 'swimming' and 'non-swimming' days, giving life a bit more rhythm. Exerting yourself physically seems to dampen the severity of emotional stress, or allows your mind to process it better.

Maybe try these things and see how you get on after a few weeks :)

Are you filling your days with stuff to do, as if you didn't suffer from these problems? Sounds like the 'awful feeling' is smothering you a bit, might need to fill your days up with activities that involve 'doing things' for a bit of a mental refreshment?

Also, are you smashing out the exercise? I'm now swimming four times a week (early morning) which has given a bit of routine and breaks up the week into 'swimming' and 'non-swimming' days, giving life a bit more rhythm. Exerting yourself physically seems to dampen the severity of emotional stress, or allows your mind to process it better.

Maybe try these things and see how you get on after a few weeks :)

I’m keeping busy but sometimes I feel awful even when busy although keeping busy definitely helps as when I stop I feel worse If that makes sense. I find when I relax I think about the Anxiety and it gets worse. Sometimes I can feel my heart speed up it’s weird.

Im not other than dog walking tbh. I have a stoma and Hernia so need to be careful what I do but I definitely need to do more i find it difficult to motivate when I feel awful.

The physical effects seem to be hammering me today, keep feeling hot even though it’s not then cold at times. My head and neck feel pressure and I feel like my throat is closing in at times. I feel like I have a cold but not unwell just rough.

Im being tested for low B12 on Monday as that is common when the large intestine is removed and can cause or make anxiety worse. Tbh I’m hoping it’s something like that or there is a medical answer but I think it’s just my Anxiety kicking my butt at the moment. Unless it’s delayed withdrawal from when I stopped the Escitalopram but I’m not convinced…

I only took the 1/4 Mirtazapine once as it gave me restless arms when trying to sleep. Maybe it would help a bit with the morning Anxiety but I’m a bit reluctant to take as I’m sleeping ok at the moment and don’t like taking if I don’t need at the moment.

I know it’s not a helpful attitude but I just want it gone and be back to how I was a few weeks back. I’m not very good at being unwell…..lol

Last edited:

Is this what they do?

I found my sleep last year to be terrible, going to sleep ok but regularly waking up after a few hours and not being able to go back to sleep. Started on 50mg of sertraline and increased to 100mg, now 150mg. Just make sure it's in the morning.

There's a few other options if it doesn't help, so don't feel like it's this, benzos, or nothing. Things you can do could be exercise in the evening, making sure the room is dark if you're sensitive to light (my wife swears by eye masks), reading before bed.

Phenergan helped me as well, then I was prescribed seroquel which I'm slowly tapering off.

Last edited:

Blehhhhhhh
i no the pain, its easy for people to say keep yourself busy but when you feel like that nothing helps.

6 years on prozac and the odd diaz for me.
many bad days but having to learn to cope still.

i no the pain, its easy for people to say keep yourself busy but when you feel like that nothing helps.

6 years on prozac and the odd diaz for me.
many bad days but having to learn to cope still.

Yeah it’s horrid hard to describe but just a horrid feeling. It’s amazing our brains can make us feel like this it’s crazy or I’m crazy….lol

Im not sure how much further I can go without medication. Escitalopram worked well for me in the past but also caused its own issues mainly with sleep. I think I will arrange a chat with a Dr on Monday after my B12 test and see what is suggested.

I found my sleep last year to be terrible, going to sleep ok but regularly waking up after a few hours and not being able to go back to sleep. Started on 50mg of sertraline and increased to 100mg, now 150mg. Just make sure it's in the morning.

Yes I’m finding sleep is disturbed. Why do you say take the tablet in the morning?

They can offer you pregablin which can help with anxiety. I'd honestly say that benzos should only be used for 2 weeks or in a hospital setting.

5 years of diazepam and now my original anxiety is 10 times worse than before and the withdrawals are unbelievable.

Sertraline definitely helps at higher doses.
It's funny how people take to medications differently. Pregablin sent me psychotic with anxiety and made all my symptoms horrendously bad! Sertraline was very effective at lifting my mood, but unfortunately affected my vision so came off of them immediately. I take Clonazepam when needed personally which isn't often thankfully.

So I finally bit the bullet and asked the doctor to prescribe the ADs they recommended. I’ve been feeling worse as of late.

I now need to establish is it because of the personal reasons or my job role at work, where I deal with people in financial difficulties. I’m a rather empathetic person and maybe that’s pushed me to what I feel. If it is the latter then I shall probably leave if they can’t offer me an alternative.

Never thought I’d see the day, but here we are.

So I finally bit the bullet and asked the doctor to prescribe the ADs they recommended. I’ve been feeling worse as of late.

I now need to establish is it because of the personal reasons or my job role at work, where I deal with people in financial difficulties. I’m a rather empathetic person and maybe that’s pushed me to what I feel. If it is the latter then I shall probably leave if they can’t offer me an alternative.

Never thought I’d see the day, but here we are.
Small steps buddy.

Back
Top Bottom