**The Mental Health Thread**

Don
That's a permanent solution to what is a only a temporary problem. Stick it out, you'll be ok. Life is tough, but worth it.
Fortunately not there yet. Not sure what the answer is. Divorcing my wife is a possibility, but again not quite there yet either.

Don't have the answers yet but equally don't have all the questions yet either.

Just spent the last 30 minutes speaking to one of the two people from social services and was actually nice but equally brought me to tears to hear him say he was worried about me. :(

Associate
I don't know your situation but as a random stranger on the Internet my advice is to not make any big irreversable decision like that. I won't pretend to understand what's going on, or the things you've already tried but there has to be something else to try.
You mentioned another option (divorce) yeah that sucks, but it's an option you have if that could/would help. You don't need to make ANY big decision quickly.

I can only suggest trying to make use if whatever mental health services are available to you and hope you get through this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone else get the sudden feeling of not being able to cope. I’m having that quite a bit the last couple of days. It’s almost like panic I think but comes and goes. It’s not nice that’s for sure…

Associate
It's certainly a thing, anxiety but not quite a panic attack?
Anything going on right now? Stress at work? Moving house etc?

Associate
Fortunately not there yet. Not sure what the answer is. Divorcing my wife is a possibility, but again not quite there yet either.

Don't have the answers yet but equally don't have all the questions yet either.

Just spent the last 30 minutes speaking to one of the two people from social services and was actually nice but equally brought me to tears to hear him say he was worried about me. :(

It isnt a solution but I know how it can feel to be there. I was in the same place not many weeks ago. I didn’t just think about it but thankfully I am still here. Regret comes quickly. No matter the problems, there are solutions and talking can help.

I have posted personal stuff on here as it is anonymous. It helps to have an outlet. I also speak to family, friends and colleagues but never to everything I am feeling or thinking. I have also gone back into counselling but I am lucky to have access to it.

In your case if you need someone to talk to drop me a pm. Based on your location I am only 15 miles down the road so someone to talk to is closer than you think. There is always someone to talk to. Never ever be ashamed of asking for help. Never ever think you have to deal with it alone. It just isn’t the case. From experience, when I stopped talking is when I got to my worst and nearly made a huge mistake. The final out is not the answer even if it feels like it.

Soldato
Had my follow up call with NHS talking therapies following the stress webinar that I completed. Told her they had some good tips but it's not the kind of thing I need right now and that I do feel I need one to one counselling. Mentioned again the few things I'm struggling with the most and she said the main issue she thinks I need to focus on isn't covered by NHS. She's going to send me details of low cost therapists in the area and some info for other options as well.

What a waste of my time and theirs. I first referred in March. Had my initial assessment in May and now being told they're discharging me even though it's the same issues as before with the exception that work isn't as stressful as what it was.
I started getting tearful whilst I was still on the phone to her but managed to hide it until we ended the call.
I'd found a directory of therapists local to me a while ago but they all seem to start from around £40 upwards

I'm trying to save every penny so I can move which is another stressor and trying to potentially get extra work from my current employer to help with that

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately this is the NHS Mental Health system at the moment they are massively useless at dealing with anything other than the most simple anxiety problems or the worst where you have attempted to end it or have a definite plan. Anything in-between and they are unable to help or have little generally unsuitable help.

Some employers offer counselling support as part of their insurance I think. It might be worth looking into.

Soldato
Unfortunately this is the NHS Mental Health system at the moment they are massively useless at dealing with anything other than the most simple anxiety problems or the worst where you have attempted to end it or have a definite plan. Anything in-between and they are unable to help or have little generally unsuitable help.

Some employers offer counselling support as part of their insurance I think. It might be worth looking into.
What I don't understand is when my dad was still alive and fighting cancer I got referred through the GP for 6 sessions of counselling. After he died I was having other issues again (e.g. panic attacks) and the doctor suggested counselling. I mentioned to her that last time it was all centred around my dad and nothing else when there were other things I wanted to discuss. The GP said to me that I can guide the counselling however I wish and talk about anything. So I did. Now I'm being told that I can't :/

Soldato
What I don't understand is when my dad was still alive and fighting cancer I got referred through the GP for 6 sessions of counselling. After he died I was having other issues again (e.g. panic attacks) and the doctor suggested counselling. I mentioned to her that last time it was all centred around my dad and nothing else when there were other things I wanted to discuss. The GP said to me that I can guide the counselling however I wish and talk about anything. So I did. Now I'm being told that I can't :/

It might be worth going back to your GP and asking them to refer you for counselling again, Although I don’t think the NHS provide Psychological counselling or if they do it’s not outside hospital care.

Counselling with a Psychologist can be very beneficial but it’s generally self funded or paid through work insurance schemes.

Soldato
It might be worth going back to your GP and asking them to refer you for counselling again, Although I don’t think the NHS provide Psychological counselling or if they do it’s not outside hospital care.

Counselling with a Psychologist can be very beneficial but it’s generally self funded or paid through work insurance schemes.
Sadly I had to register with a different doctors last year. The new GP surgery are absolutely useless. It's near impossible to get an appointment. If you call on the day they just offer a telephone call back but they all just sound completely disinterested and the phone line is horrendous always cutting off to the point they just text instead. (Definitely not an issue with my phone as other phone calls are perfectly fine)
If I try booking online it also only ever offers telephone appointments or the occasional family planning appointment. Near enough every review about them says the same thing.
I will just have to wait and see what options she sends me and go from there.

Soldato
Sadly I had to register with a different doctors last year. The new GP surgery are absolutely useless. It's near impossible to get an appointment. If you call on the day they just offer a telephone call back but they all just sound completely disinterested and the phone line is horrendous always cutting off to the point they just text instead. (Definitely not an issue with my phone as other phone calls are perfectly fine)
If I try booking online it also only ever offers telephone appointments or the occasional family planning appointment. Near enough every review about them says the same thing.
I will just have to wait and see what options she sends me and go from there.

That’s crap mate Dr’s can be a pain now days. I have to call mine bang on 8 and wait in a que and hope they have anything left by the time you get through.

Sometimes a call to 111 can help get things moving with MH support. I have had more luck there in the past when I have had issues with Dr.

Soldato
Still here, still reading quietly in the background.

Genuinely sorry to hear/read of others woes - I truly hope things improve going forward :)

As for me? I'm hanging in there but struggling (as ever) with fatigue which doesn't help the mood as we all know. Got a letter from the GP the other day that's really put me on downward trajectory as I've been waiting 6 months for a refferal to General Medicine only to get a letter saying they've discussed it amongst themselves and decided that I'm fat.

Yep, it's taken a crack team of doctors 6 months to work that out. Bravo, slow clap, high freaking five. If it was as easy as that I 100% would have taken steps to fix that issue already but I'm struggling in that regard too due to the aforementioned fatigue. Hard to stick to a diet when you can barely summon the energy to prepare food - even a sandwich can be a struggle at times. Not to mention the other issues with memory, slurred speech, forgetting words mid sentence and crashing randomly needing bed rest which is largely unrefreshing.

Yeah that's definitely taking a toll on my mental health :(

(Mods: I realise I may have gone to far WRT medical info - let me know if anything needs removing here. I'm not requesting advice in any fashion however!)

Soldato
Still here, still reading quietly in the background.

Genuinely sorry to hear/read of others woes - I truly hope things improve going forward :)

As for me? I'm hanging in there but struggling (as ever) with fatigue which doesn't help the mood as we all know. Got a letter from the GP the other day that's really put me on downward trajectory as I've been waiting 6 months for a refferal to General Medicine only to get a letter saying they've discussed it amongst themselves and decided that I'm fat.

Yep, it's taken a crack team of doctors 6 months to work that out. Bravo, slow clap, high freaking five. If it was as easy as that I 100% would have taken steps to fix that issue already but I'm struggling in that regard too due to the aforementioned fatigue. Hard to stick to a diet when you can barely summon the energy to prepare food - even a sandwich can be a struggle at times. Not to mention the other issues with memory, slurred speech, forgetting words mid sentence and crashing randomly needing bed rest which is largely unrefreshing.

Yeah that's definitely taking a toll on my mental health :(

(Mods: I realise I may have gone to far WRT medical info - let me know if anything needs removing here. I'm not requesting advice in any fashion however!)
That sucks. Why are GPs just so completely useless :(

With the mention of fatigue and memory issues you'd think they'd be running tests to check thyroid etc. Although that said I tried for 10 years to get help, got told stupid stuff like "if you got pregnant your symptoms would go", "take evening primrose tablets" "I'll prescribe you the contraceptive pill" "we don't test hormones on the nhs" (even though they do)
:Rolleyes:

Have you thought of trying elsewhere? A supplier at work had recommended me to a naturopath centre where I finally got answers but most tend to also have functional medicine doctors there and would offer all sorts of different tests. It's not cheap but might start to give you some answers maybe? (Apologies mods if I'm not allowed to mention other places)

Re food I can completely relate to lack of motivation to cook. If I have someone else relying on me e.g. if partner is here then it's not so bad but when it's just me I get slack and don't always eat properly. Have you considered trying one of those meal subscriptions?
I've just set up a week's trial with result plan as they were doing a discount and just got 6 days worth for £50 including delivery which I didn't think was too bad for 18 meals plus 6 snacks. (You can choose to have meals for less days or the max 7 days and can also choose what calorie bracket you want e.g. 1450-1750 calories ) there's so many different ones around now and most tend to do discounts for new customers :)

Soldato
Had all the usual checks done and my bloodwork has come back in great shape everytime. I did however finally get them to check testosterone and it's below the reference range but they claim it's not an issue if I just lose weight. I'll give you one guess as to one of the many things low t makes tricky - go on, I bet you can't work it out!

Likely going to try going privately and will be putting in a complaint about the service I've recieved (or lack thereof) later next week. For now I shall just stew and seethe and take out my frustrations on Doom monsters :D

As for food and what not on good days I'm completely fine and boot other folk out of the kitchen for doing things wrong (don't ask about Boomer Rice :cry: ) and can happily eat/manage a healthy diet. Certainly struggling a little bit this week as I'm on my own but I'll get by.

Probably getting too off topic for mental health though so I'll shush for now before the mods smite me :p

Don
Made it through the week.

Still don't feel like much has changed but a few tiny steps have been made.

If the start of the week was 1/10, then maybe I'm at a 3/10 (with normal around a 7/10)

Not too sure what next week will bring as have a week away booked but obviously don't feel to great about it given everything that has happened.
Can't get money back so will just try and make the best of it - change of scenery at least.

Back
Top Bottom