**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
...and from previous posts the wife you stuck by now makes comments about your weight and gets ticked off when you won’t hang around with her friends who obviously made something of themselves, it’s a funny old life isn’t it.

yeah but we also have laughs and great sex :D Some days we love each other, most days we work at it, a few days it's considered a win if we're both still alive.

You also need to take into account that with BPD innocent banter can make me feel like the world is ending, I'm having to learn to deal with that, to not cut myself etc. Trying to talk things through or write it down is the hardest part of it all! I am fat, I do need to lose weight, and if other people make comments it doesn't bother me, it's only if she does.

Associate
When I suffered from anxiety a couple of years ago it triggered depersonalisation and derealisation which was a real head screw , I took no meds’ and just drank Camomile and valerian root teas but when I started to distract my self and actually force myself to focus on what I love doing it eventually improved and I felt more like me , I still feel disconnected and like an actor acting my old life at times and I don’t feel human and nether do humans but I just ignore it and tell myself it’s my brain on crack sending false signals .. I realised you thinking plays a huge role in the process so distraction and forcing myself to have a laugh and connect with others helps enormously , also excercuse and diet help a lot

Soldato
Im now upto 100mg of Sertranol as my anxiety attacks are becoming much more frequent and stronger, stress at work, crowded places and social anxiety all trigger them it seems, as well as just randomly having them every now and then. Still trying to go to events, we have a charity ball on Friday and then a Burlesque show on Saturday that i know i will enjoy, but also know for a fact the second i get there i am going to end up having an anxiety attack :(

Depression also doesnt seem to have budged at all and my sleeping and PTSD are the same, if not worse...i have the doctors again next Tuesday and i think we are going to look into something different, as nothing seems to be getting better on the Sertranol at all

Soldato
I've not suffered anxiety but I would imagine the thought of an attack at an upcoming event really does compound the issue. Has anyone tried mindfulness? A friend of mine did and it helped a little, proper therapy really did but it's not cheap when you go private.

Soldato
Since coming off my meds it's a constant rollercoaster. Still getting really bad dizzy spells, like when you're trying to lie in bed after getting completely smashed.

Been an ok day but my little brother's just messaged me to say that once he's passed his RMP training he's off to Northern Ireland, now, I know that it's much better than it was but having grown up with an uncle who was an army photographer over there, seeing photos of bombs going off, the bodies left behind, and the upcoming nonsense with Brexit and NI borders I'm left feeling in complete dread. I hope i'm just being overly sensitive to everything :(

Permabanned
My dad died today. He's been very ill for about 2 years now with kidney and lung problems looks like he died peacefully in his chair and on his oxygen. So sad he was such a good guy. His body died before his head did :(

Soldato
My dad died today. He's been very ill for about 2 years now with kidney and lung problems looks like he died peacefully in his chair and on his oxygen. So sad he was such a good guy. His body died before his head did :(

Sorry for your lose God bless him, think of the good times you had with father might help a bit..

Last edited:
Soldato

sorry to hear that. RIP - remember the good times and I hope you find peace in the fact he's no longer struggling.......

Soldato
You know the hardest thing about mental health is telling people.

I'm currently involved in a lot of group projects and get hammered if I don't turn up to a group meeting (which are always arranged an hour before - a pet hate of mine). Now, going through a tough time at the moment keeping on top of everything, and replying to groups, so I often spend a day off of my phone, because in reality, I HATE having an always connected device. People expect you to reply straight away. And bombard you if you don't.

I had a meeting arranged with a group this morning, from 11:00-16:00, and have had it arranged since last week. My other group messaged me at the weekend to try and schedule it, but I didn't see the message. I've had messages from the mentor (someone from the year above helping out) and members of the group to say it's not acceptable to not turn up blah blah. Yet, I'm not the only one that didn't. Their problem is that I didn't check my messages straight away.

Worst part? They can account for 30% of my grade.

Trying to tell them I'm going through a rough patch seems futile. They expect me to cater my whole life around my course, and when I don't, I pay the price, mentally and grade wise.

Unsure what to do. My tutor has just said I need to work harder.

Caporegime
if it is a full time course then you ought to keep on top of communications with them somehow - you'll find that plenty of people get stressed out at uni you're likely not the only one in that group dealing with the pressure etc.. and people missing meetings for group projects probably stresses out other group members.

Might be best to try and co-ordinate your timetables etc.. presumably you share some lectures and other optional modules you'll all at least be aware of so there should be some known free periods of time where you can likely schedule meetings.

If they're always organising meetings with only 1 hours notice then that isn't ideal but having some ad-hoc meetings could be useful (I guess it depends on the type of group work)

have you heard of slack?

https://slack.com/

this could be a solution for you - set up a group on there and get all your group comms done there... if you want to shut off your phone to the rest of the world then you can do so and just check slack for anything important re: group work

Back
Top Bottom