**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
I hate not having a safe space at the moment. I used to love sitting on the sofa at home with a brew watching tv. For the past few months I am constantly at high anxiety levels for no reason. Number of occasions it's gone into panic attacks with no cause. I'm young, fit and relatively healthy. I'm under my local GP to try and find the cause, potentially generalised anxiety disorder or panic disorder but the GP is trying to rule that out because it's so....against character. I can't acert any cause for it, but it's absolutely horrible and slowly ruining my life. It's really messing my guts up and caused IBS.

Caporegime
How is it that when I discussed clinical trials I got shadow edited, but multiple people talking about taking LSD is just fine?

Could you please clarify if talking about medical treatments is allowed? Because people have been recommending regulated medical treatments such as cbt, which in principle is no different to recommending medications.

Caporegime
How is it that when I discussed clinical trials I got shadow edited, but multiple people talking about taking LSD is just fine?

Could you please clarify if talking about medical treatments is allowed? Because people have been recommending regulated medical treatments such as cbt, which in principle is no different to recommending medications.

I tried asking about this in FCD and got no response - I actually wanted to join the discussion re: LSD trials but haven't done so as I don't know if doing so will suddenly result in deletions or worse some random thread ban (which wouldn't be helpful re: this thread in particular) it isn't very clear at all and would be nice if they could clarify.

Don
I will clarify.
No discussion of anything that's illegal (LSD, Weed etc). If there are posts here that talk about those things then please RTM them so I can delete them.
No discussion of prescribed medication beyond "This is what I'm taking". Anything where someone recommends a medication will be be removed.

Soldato
Just the thread..

I have Neuro Developmental Delay, diagnosed at 6. Basically I learn everything a LOT slower than everyone else. Physically fine apart from this illness since October but this mental issue is with me for life. Hence being a bit "different" to everyone else and no meds can help that.

Associate
As if my Anxiety/Depression alone was not enough.

My mum was passed about from GP to GP for about 3 weeks, They did not care even though my mum kept complaining about pains in her chest etc all they do is prescribe morphine which put her off her head until we found one doctor who actually listened to her and sent her to the hospital straight away.

My mother is now in hospital with 3 broken ribs, a broken breast/chest bone, a touch of pneumonia, Hospital is doing all sorts of tests, So far there is two "lesions" on her liver and on the back of her neck, They are doing tests now to see if it's also some sort of bone cancer, Last 3 years has been an absolute nightmare with everything hitting at once (That's how it goes though isn't it)

The hospital staff are an absolute disgrace my mother told one of the nurses to please shut a window as they left it open on the 10th of December which was one of the coldest nights of the year, In return she got a raised voice hurled at her, They done the same again on the 11th she could not even be bothered to tell them to shut it as she is so sick with the tests (dye through veins etc)

Associate
Been out of proper work for a while now with my health issues, helping my family run their business has paid the bills but really not something I enjoy.
Never really considered depression before but having attended a few mindfulness and anxiety workshops, its made me wonder. The lack of motivation, the tiredness, struggling to get out of bed most days, everything seeming overwhelming etc.

I really want a job in the IT industry, its basically all I know yet haven't worked in it before so am finding it hard going getting in since I don't have any job experience.

Looking at a few voluntary jobs to try and get my foot in the door along with studying for the Comptia A+ which will hopefully improve my chances though I have to admit, its been so long since I did a "real" job that the prospect of jumping into a 9-5 scares the **** out of me.

Permabanned
struggling today from my dads passing away last sunday, feels like im having a heart attack hate this feeling so so bad as well as palpation's.
i guess it will pass but its just a vicious circle and i cant switch my mind off.
stupid anxiety hate it.

Caporegime
I've had heart palpitations for around 3 years now, however mine don't really seem related to anxiety, I can get them during exercise or when I'm in a very relaxed state, had all the tests done just to make sure and I'm fine according to the cardiologists, took me a good while to begin to ignore them and now and again I'll get a bad one or run of them that catch me off guard.

I can imagine it's not a nice feeling on top of recent events as it's just one thing compounding on another, go get checked out if you haven't already for them but supplementing magnesium helped reduce the number of them I had or felt, magnesium taurate in particular :)

Soldato
My dad passed away yesterday, at the moment we're just trying to keep my mum ok but I'm not looking forward to the next few months of up's and and down's for myself - it's the first time I've ever lost someone close to me other than a pet. We were all with him when he went, but everytime I close my eyes all I can see is the image of him lying there :(

Caporegime
My dad passed away yesterday, at the moment we're just trying to keep my mum ok but I'm not looking forward to the next few months of up's and and down's for myself - it's the first time I've ever lost someone close to me other than a pet. We were all with him when he went, but everytime I close my eyes all I can see is the image of him lying there :(

I'm sorry to hear that, Scottland. I lost mine on the same day back in 2008 (18/12/08). Do what you're already doing, which is to be there for Mum/each other. :)

Associate
Just been told my mum is dying of cancer of the blood, spread from the breast, Nothing the hospital can do only give painkillers now.

Don't know what to say or do at this point.

Soldato
Just been told my mum is dying of cancer of the blood, spread from the breast, Nothing the hospital can do only give painkillers now.

Don't know what to say or do at this point.

Having just been through this myself with my Dad I have some idea of what you're going through. All I can say is to be there for one another and just take it one day at a time - if you want to talk off the forum I'm here to listen if you want.

Caporegime
This time of year for the last few years just doesn’t sit right with me, within minutes yesterday of finishing work for ten days I was in the dumps, there’s no bad memories or anything around this period but for some reason I just find the whole social side of it to be incredibly forced, and it makes me wonder why people can’t be like this for the whole of the year.

Associate
Having just been through this myself with my Dad I have some idea of what you're going through. All I can say is to be there for one another and just take it one day at a time - if you want to talk off the forum I'm here to listen if you want.

It's terrible knowing that there is nothing you can do or the doctors, She has it in her Bones, Blood, Liver, Back of the neck, Lower spine is collapsing, All seemingly spread from the Breast, It's breaking my heart she has suffered extreme pain for the last 30 years with Rheumatoid Arthritis all her bones are knackered fingers bent, went through numerous operations, Does not deserve this at all.

Soldato
It's terrible knowing that there is nothing you can do or the doctors, She has it in her Bones, Blood, Liver, Back of the neck, Lower spine is collapsing, All seemingly spread from the Breast, It's breaking my heart she has suffered extreme pain for the last 30 years with Rheumatoid Arthritis all her bones are knackered fingers bent, went through numerous operations, Does not deserve this at all.

I cannot imagine how you must feel. I think what Scottland said is spot on though. I really can't say more than I'm genuinely sorry.

Soldato
So on top of me having a really bad day xmas day as it should have been my little girl's second christmas...my grandad also died on xmas day night :(

He's been in and out of hospital for months with different things, but fell over on xmas day and broke 3 ribs, one of which punctured his lung :(

In a right mess at the minute, and have just found out a family friend has just had a baby, and given her the middle name Ivy, which was the same as my daughter, so that has also knocked me down another peg...really really low at the minute

Associate
I have suffered depression for the last 5-6 years and had terrible anxiety for as long as I can remember.

On the 22nd of September I found out I may have a brain tumour, the Dr was certain it was non cancerous going by my symptoms (headaches, vision blurriness, extreme lack of libido, no energy, abnormal hormone levels) I was told to go back to the hospital for an MRI a week later and find out exactly what was growing, I was shocked but at the same time I thought fantastic as, maybe that's the reason I am like I am, On the 23rd of September, my Granddad passed away after a short illness, so after finding out I may have a brain tumour and then Granddad passing away it sent me into a downward spiral. I grew really close to my Granddad over the last few years when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer.

I still had to try and carry on like normal, go to work (I'm a taxi driver) pay bills, support my Nan and the rest of the family, things got to the point where I just wanted to escape life, I started to drive like a complete ****, getting really aggressive, started taking drugs to escape reality and things got to the point where I was going to hang myself, I even had the rope prepared.

I had an MRI a week later and got the results shortly after that, confirming a growth of the pituitary gland, the size of a golf ball, the Dr confirmed that it is highly unlikely to be cancerous as the type of growth is called a Prolactinoma, because of the size of the growth it had squashed and essentially killed my Pituitary gland messing up all my hormones, Dr suspects it has been causing me problems for a number of years, he started me on Hydro-cortisone tablets, which I have to take for the rest of my life, the Dr explained what the process would be for treatment and that I would be seen within a week to get all other required medication, cue the hospital forgetting about me for 8 ****ing weeks, so if finding out you have a brain tumour, Granddad passing away and now having to chase up the hospital for an appointment wasn't enough.

We had a fantastic send off for my Granddad, I was still at the point where I wanted to end my life, and it really got to me that some members of the family came out of the wood work acting like they were there for my Nan and Granddad, when in fact that haven't been arsed for years, that almost tipped me over the edge, as I was always around them, shopping for them, taking them to appointments and even just being company for them, which they appreciated most.

I got signed off work as things became too much, financially it was going to be tough but trying to stay alive was more important.

I finally got my hospital appointment to get started on medication, I was given Cabergoline, to reduce prolactin levels and hopefully shrink the growth, Thyroxine to replace the function of my thyroid and was told I will be started on Testosterone replacement once I had another blood test to check my levels, fantastic, only it took another two weeks to get started on it, which really messed with my mind as testosterone is what makes a man an man, right? The Dr kept telling me once I was on testosterone I would feel 90% better.

So now I have been on my medication for over a month, I feel great, I've come to terms with my Granddad passing away, I feel human again. I've just had another MRI on the 27th December to see whether the growth has shrunk or not, I get the results of the 10th January, if the growth has shrunk, great, if not, I will need surgery to remove it!

Only thing is, because of the way I've always felt I've never been really interested in girls or having a relationship, yeah I found them attractive but never had any desires to want intimacy. Now I feel like a normal person (testosterone is working wonders) I am looking for human interaction, something which I have always shied away from but I'm at the age where the few friends I do have are married and having kids so they don't have much spare time, I am trying online dating, which is going horrendously, most of the women want a nice, normal guy but you also need to be 6ft tall, dark skinned and handsome, where as I am a lot shorter than 6ft tall, pasty as hell and not so handsome and the very few people that have messaged me, I may as well be talking to a card board box. Guess i'm just feeling lonely now, but hey, one step at a time.

I go back to work in the new year, I'm actually really looking forward to it, being off work is so boring.

Anyway, I hope that all makes sense.

Cheers for reading!

Associate
I went round to see my only friend last, wish I hadn't, come home feeling like ****, he knows I have some issues going on that really bother me, being a 32 years old, living with my parents still, never been in a relationship, I have a large nose and all he done last night was have a dig at me all night, I can take a joke but the way he was saying these things felt like personal attacks, really ******* hurt me.

He's the only 'real' friend I have, the others are just FB acquaintances, but **** it when you have friends like that I guess its better being alone.

Associate
OP
I went round to see my only friend last, wish I hadn't, come home feeling like ****, he knows I have some issues going on that really bother me, being a 32 years old, living with my parents still, never been in a relationship, I have a large nose and all he done last night was have a dig at me all night, I can take a joke but the way he was saying these things felt like personal attacks, really ******* hurt me.

He's the only 'real' friend I have, the others are just FB acquaintances, but **** it when you have friends like that I guess its better being alone.

Not really, Think about where you live and this whole world. Billions of people and many different places to start a fresh. People like that put others down to make themselves feel good.

Have you tried internet dating??

Since i've started this thread i've kind of turned my life around, but damn it's been hard work! Anything is possible though just need to keep on going.

Back
Top Bottom