The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Soldato
Well he isnt going to ask the players then go against there choice is he

if it inspires other players then lets see

but he will be suspended soon anyway

Associate
We don't have a standout choice of captain. Xhaka no better nor worse than most of the other options and he starts nearly every game and would have been an obvious candidate.

Man of Honour
Problem is there's no one there that particularly stands out as captain material. I would have let Aubameyang and Lacazette share it.
A far cry from the "7 captains" or whatever it was we supposedly had a few years ago. There really isn't any good choice that I can see, Auba is experienced and guaranteed to play all the big games but he comes across as a bit too relaxed. Kolasinac seems a good candidate possibly, but probably won't be a regular starter. The likes of Holding, Tierney or Guendouzi could maybe do it in a couple of years if they establish themselves in the side. I'd maybe go Bellerin for now :/

Soldato
A far cry from the "7 captains" or whatever it was we supposedly had a few years ago. There really isn't any good choice that I can see, Auba is experienced and guaranteed to play all the big games but he comes across as a bit too relaxed. Kolasinac seems a good candidate possibly, but probably won't be a regular starter. The likes of Holding, Tierney or Guendouzi could maybe do it in a couple of years if they establish themselves in the side. I'd maybe go Bellerin for now :/
Safest bet would be our GK Leno??

Associate
This talk about captain is something I actually can't understand. The captain does after all have no actual special role on the field. You might have someone who is a leader but in the laws of football it states "The team captain has no special status or privileges but has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of the team."
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-3---the-players

You can have players that are brilliant leaders but wouldn't make a good captain if looking at it this way.

Man of Honour
This talk about captain is something I actually can't understand. The captain does after all have no actual special role on the field. You might have someone who is a leader but in the laws of football it states "The team captain has no special status or privileges but has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of the team."
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-3---the-players

You can have players that are brilliant leaders but wouldn't make a good captain if looking at it this way.

I think distilling it down to the laws of football oversimplifies things a bit, as it can have other influences regardless of whether they are recorded in the laws of the game. For example, captains typically:
  • Lead the team out
  • Participate in the coin toss(es)
  • Are allowed to talk to the ref (it was proposed a couple of years back that only captains can speak to the ref, not sure if this was put in the laws yet or not)
  • Can have a psychological impact on the team [and potentially even the opposition] by being a leader
  • Potentially get better responses from teammates when orchestrating actions on the field (compared to non-captains)
  • Potentially get a higher media profile which could bring benefits (e.g. more sponsorship) or disadvantages (e.g. bad press for misdemeanours)

Associate
I think distilling it down to the laws of football oversimplifies things a bit, as it can have other influences regardless of whether they are recorded in the laws of the game. For example, captains typically:
  • Lead the team out
  • Participate in the coin toss(es)
  • Are allowed to talk to the ref (it was proposed a couple of years back that only captains can speak to the ref, not sure if this was put in the laws yet or not)
  • Can have a psychological impact on the team [and potentially even the opposition] by being a leader
  • Potentially get better responses from teammates when orchestrating actions on the field (compared to non-captains)
  • Potentially get a higher media profile which could bring benefits (e.g. more sponsorship) or disadvantages (e.g. bad press for misdemeanours)

But you can be a leader even without being the actual captain. You get different kinds of leaders that will lead in different ways, not all of them would have to be an actual captain. As being allowed to talk to the ref, a captain don't have more rights than any other player on the pitch at the moment either. When I was a ref it was used to say that the captains are supposed to be the ref's connection to the teams on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom