The **Now Drinking** Thread

Associate
Aldi own-label whiskies named best in world

Two Aldi own-label whiskies have won gold medals at the world-renowned Spirits Business Scotch Whisky Masters.
The budget supermarket’s spirits fought off stiff competition - some of which retail for three times the price - to take the top spots.
Gold medals were awarded to Aldi’s Highland Black Scotch Whisky (£12.99) and Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky (£17.49).

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddr...amed-best-in-world/ar-AAyEyRZ?ocid=spartandhp
yeah tbh ive had a lot more expensive drops that are worse than them. their 5yo brandy aint bad either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lastnight - long week, glass of Chateau La Pogue 2010. One of the last bottles from the two crates I had.. For an 8 year old wine it's in superb condition.

Don
psTNuKJl.jpg
(Excuse my 8 year old's thumbs up)

Bought these to try. Not a fan of the still cider - it tastes like a dry wine (and I hate wine!) with a horrible aftertaste.

Wimped out on the other, will take it in for a friend at work, luckily have a couple of Aldi Orchard ciders left, which are absolutely amazing imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Peppermint tea

up2WxFW.jpg

Soldato
Roku GIn + Fever Tree Light. Prefer the Elderflower Fever Tree but hey.

I may have made it a tad strong :/ after a second day of hard graft decorating.

Soldato
Struggling with drinks on a night out. Have discovered high gluten sensitivity in the last 12 months and coming away from the likes of bread, pasta, and beer (*sad face*) have had fantastic benefits to my health. As such, I've been drinking cider with meals out/parties but I can normally limit that to about 3-4 a night. On a longer night out on the town I find that anything after 5 and I'm feeling disgusting/sick with the sheer volume of sugar I'm putting into my body. Weirdly, too, even though I'm not a big drinker, I cannot seem to feel merry/drunk on cider, it's more of a sugar buzz than anything.

The obvious answer to this would be to either try gluten free ales (not all that common in bars/clubs yet, anyway), wine (I only enjoy red, and it's not exactly something I want to drink with my mates, would prefer to leave that to meals out with the missus or at home with dinner), or spirits I guess? Although I've not really tried enough to get an idea of what I like. I'm not altogether keen on whiskey, either.

Any ideas of what I could try? I don't want to be on *insert drink here* + coke/diet coke all night either, as I try to avoid sugary drinks, caffeine and sweeteners where possible.

Crying shame as I love beer and ales :(

Soldato
You could switch the coke for tonic or soda?

I've had wine when out with mates a few times, naturally get some stick at first but it doesn't change anything. See a lot of men with Gin and Tonic now with half a fruitbowl in the glass, no one gives it a second look.

Soldato
You could switch the coke for tonic or soda?

I've had wine when out with mates a few times, naturally get some stick at first but it doesn't change anything. See a lot of men with Gin and Tonic now with half a fruitbowl in the glass, no one gives it a second look.

Good times!

A little bit of my masculin insecurity mixed with some friendly digs from mates is the issue :) but it seems that's moving in the right direction now, as more geezas move onto those sort of drinks, rather than the usual wifebeating Stella (actually used to enjoy a Stella, can't say much).

Will try some vodka tonic I reckon, then.. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom