The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
Bit of a boring picture but here's the roasted tomato, garlic and chilli salsa ingredients just before they went into the oven. They smell amazing :)

aMbxhKc.jpg

Umm thanks :p but I'm really not that great a cook!

I was going to have mashed sweet potato, but I've just had a microwaved sweet potato as a snack so I'm not going to have it again tonight!

I'm thinking of making this - but make it my own way and change some of the ingredients.

8bfhhe5l.jpg nZGY190l.jpg

What did you end up going for? I think the main thing I'd want to change in that recipe would be to add the egg yolks back :p

Soldato
As I had dinner at lunch time I'm now having lunch at dinner time.
I was well confused when I first read this :p

Bit of a boring picture but here's the roasted tomato, garlic and chilli salsa ingredients just before they went into the oven. They smell amazing :)

http://i.imgur.com/aMbxhKc.jpg[img]

What did you end up going for? I think the main thing I'd want to change in that recipe would be to add the egg yolks back :p[/QUOTE]Where's the after picture!

Now nomming the omelette. Adding the egg yolks back was my first thought as well! So I ended up making this using 2 eggs, peas, prawns, couscous and some semi dried tomatoes. Placed on a bed of salad to bulk it up a bit.

It's going to take me ages to eat this as I have to eat in little bite sizes :o

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BIOT8Sml.jpg

Man of Honour
That looks awesome. I approve of the semi-dried tomatoes too :) There's something about partially drying/cooking tomatoes that really makes them taste sublime.

Sadly I didn't get any pictures of my salsa or wraps. The salsa itself wasn't very attractive as it had slightly burnt (taste great, look awful) bits and such.

edit: also, nommlette. Why didn't this occur immediately to me? :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried Ottolenghi's tomato party salad from Plenty? If you like partially oven-dried tomatoes you'll love it :p

One of my favourite entertaining dishes along with his green couscous which is also (along with just about everything else in the books) delicious. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup that'd be it!

I normally leave out the brown sugar as our tomatoes from the vine are sweet enough and exchange lemon juice for the balsamic vinegar for a bit fresher taste but otherwise it's a dead easy recipe that is hands-off for most of the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
20150114_220521.jpg

Last nights post-climbing meal. Turned out a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.

Salmon w/ peppercorn butter oven cooked in a bag (all from the tesco fish counter).
Egg fried rice w/ Kale, Celery and a steamer bag of peas sweetcorn and carrot done in the wok.

Associate
Just wondering... Do you guys use a lot of recipes or just come up with it as you go? There seems to be a lot of them posted here is why Im asking :)
I almost never use any recipes and when I do I change them fair amount. I have never been good at following them and when I was at the college my teacher sometimes had to tell me to follow the recipe and not go with the flow. He did also encourage me to do so when we were in the study kitchens rather than the restaurant ones...
Only recipes I follow are when Im baking something... Cant really mess with them as you need to have right amount of everything. Except bread. That I make without recipes.

Soldato
That looks awesome. I approve of the semi-dried tomatoes too :) There's something about partially drying/cooking tomatoes that really makes them taste sublime.

Sadly I didn't get any pictures of my salsa or wraps. The salsa itself wasn't very attractive as it had slightly burnt (taste great, look awful) bits and such.

edit: also, nommlette. Why didn't this occur immediately to me? :(
Thanks! It took a lot of effort not to break the omlette when flipping it over! Turns out it was actually quite filling with the couscous.. Heh nommlette :D :D

Just wondering... Do you guys use a lot of recipes or just come up with it as you go? There seems to be a lot of them posted here is why Im asking :)
I almost never use any recipes and when I do I change them fair amount. I have never been good at following them and when I was at the college my teacher sometimes had to tell me to follow the recipe and not go with the flow. He did also encourage me to do so when we were in the study kitchens rather than the restaurant ones...
Only recipes I follow are when Im baking something... Cant really mess with them as you need to have right amount of everything. Except bread. That I make without recipes.
I like to google recipes and ideas, but then I always change them too and I rarely follow instructions. Whenever I do follow recipes they tend to go wrong... Plus I'm quite fussy with food/ingredients, so I've decided that it's best to do things my own way :)

I do my own thing with baking as well, I reduce the sugar, butter/veg fat and things like chocolate by about 30% but it still turns out ok (somehow!)

Associate
I got a lovely cake recipe that doesnt use any type of fat! Its also very fluffy and nice but do it wrong and you end up with sweet scrambled eggs :D 3dl of flour, 2tsp of baking powder, 2dl of sugar, 4 eggs and 1 dl of boiling hot water (yup boiling). Whisk the eggs and sugar untill white and then whilst whisking very hard (you need electronic one) add slowly the boiling water after that you need to keep whisking for a minute. It triples in size and then you add the flour in without mixing too hard. The best sponge Ive ever made and a bit better for you without any fat in it!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
far too many healthy dishes being posted in the last couple of days,
might have to nip round the McDrive-through to redress the balance ;)

Soldato
I got a lovely cake recipe that doesnt use any type of fat! Its also very fluffy and nice but do it wrong and you end up with sweet scrambled eggs :D 3dl of flour, 2tsp of baking powder, 2dl of sugar, 4 eggs and 1 dl of boiling hot water (yup boiling). Whisk the eggs and sugar untill white and then whilst whisking very hard (you need electronic one) add slowly the boiling water after that you need to keep whisking for a minute. It triples in size and then you add the flour in without mixing too hard. The best sponge Ive ever made and a bit better for you without any fat in it!
What's 'dl'?! Might have to give it a go, thanks! Might also try this: http://studentrecipes.com/recipes/desserts/true-sponge-cake-no-fat/

I really fancy cake now... But it's too late to bake a cake :/ butter fudge will have to do.......

Associate
Oh dl = deciliter. Its a finnish recipe so I havent ever converted it to anything as Im used to using it but 1dl is about 0.4 cups or 1dl is 100ml if you prefer that :) you can make it in to chocolate sponge with using 2,5dl of normal flour and 0,5dl of strong cocoa powder :D

Back
Top Bottom