• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
Have to say.... I'm losing my happiness to stay with Nvidia. The performance is there compared to the competition, but support for DX12 and Vulkan is shoddy compared to AMD.

ONLY thing that makes me stay is the fact that a lot of the AAA titles are actually Game Works.

If it wasn't for that I would be more than happy to go AMD next.

I'm thinking my next system will be 1700X based. Might try and time it with Vega and go full AMD also!

----

What I've realised when it comes to GPU's is you are not just buying performance, but also buying in to the manufactures ecosystem. For example, with Nvidia you get access to full support in Game Works titles (which is a lot) with AMD, your be buying in to better DX12 support/Vulkan and the new tech being launched with Vega. But this means you need Devs to implement these features in games.

---

I imagine even a 480 would be a step up for me from my 970. 8Gb Vram and better DX12/Vulkan support.

---

It transpires that what I was really complaining about was how my CPU was bottlenecking me in games. reapplied my OC on my 3570k and things are much better. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Doesn't a lot of the gameworks features work pretty well on AMD cards once you reduce the over kill tessellation settings in AMD's control i.e. the witcher 3 hairworks.

IMO, the gamework effects are awful (first thing I turn off along with motion blur + chromatic aberration) not only do they hurt performance more than the in game options but they often look worse and highly over the top imo i.e. smoke in batman AK. The only effect that I've liked has been the rain effects in batman AK.

HBAO+ looks nice at first but it is completely inaccurate and creates fake shadows on everything when it shouldn't be.

Also, I will be surprised if mass effect is a nvidia game...

Soldato
Look at their picture, it says GAME RELEASE (FPS) so I I'm not sure what they're playing at if it has been incremental :D

It's basically like Anandtech said. You have already recieved most of the boost in different drivers since the games launched. While it looks like Hitman recieved a decent boost ROTTR may have already had loads of mini boost in many drivers since launch.

Nvidia have cleverly worded it so people think they have worked hard on dx12 support and you will recieve these big boost all in one driver. Funny one is ROTTR which according to Anandtech has seen no improvements since launch yet Nvidia are claiming 33%.

Soldato
Just purchased a new gaming laptop with 1050Ti GPU, which driver version is the best and most stable?
These latest ones as they have fixes in for laptop GPUS this time. So use the latest ones at the moment.

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 378.78
The following sections list the important changes and the most common issues resolved in this version.
This list is only a subset of the total number of changes made in this driver version.
The NVIDIA bug number is provided for reference.
Discord]: The GFE FPS counter appears in the application.
[GeForce 1050 Ti][Notebook]: Blue-screen crash occurs on some notebook platforms.
[GeForce GTX 980 Ti][PhysX]: PhysX uses the CPU when Optimize for Compute Performance setting is OFF, resulting in a drop in performance.
[GeForce GTX 980][CUDA]: Driver error occurs when trying to compute with GPUGrid CUDA application.
[GeForce GTX 980 Ti][OpenCL]: Driver error occurs when trying to compute PrimeGrid Genefer OpenCL tool.
[NVENC][Steam]: NvFBC H.264 encode crashes.

Associate
Hi all, wondering if someone could help me. Purchased an MSI GTX 1070 from here that arrived today. Plugged the card in and downloaded Geforce experience.
Tried to download the latest drivers and after about 5 minutes of 'installing' it comes up saying it's failed. Tried this numerous times to no avail, even tried downloading the
driver on its own and installing it and still getting the same error message 5 minutes in.

I tried playing a few games with it and after 15-20 minutes they just crash. Presumably this is to do with the drivers?

Caporegime
Had same issue with my Titan and new driver. Failed every time no matter how I tried. In the end I uninstalled the original driver and then did a full clean install

Soldato
Hi all, wondering if someone could help me. Purchased an MSI GTX 1070 from here that arrived today. Plugged the card in and downloaded Geforce experience.
Tried to download the latest drivers and after about 5 minutes of 'installing' it comes up saying it's failed. Tried this numerous times to no avail, even tried downloading the
driver on its own and installing it and still getting the same error message 5 minutes in.

I tried playing a few games with it and after 15-20 minutes they just crash. Presumably this is to do with the drivers?

Have you tried uninstalling Geforce Experience, download drivers manually and install from there?

Back
Top Bottom