1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Boomstick777, May 15, 2013.

1. Raiden85

Wise Guy

As much work as it would be I think it may be time for nvidia to rewrite the driver from the ground up. Optimise it more and remove as much legacy crap as possible as the drivers really are getting worse on each release.

The control panel needs a rewrite for a start.

2. Swinbag

Wise Guy

Completely agree - it's a mess, especially the control panel UI hitching every time you switch menus!

3. Mr Lazy

Associate

Speaking as someone who recently switched from an AMD card to a 1080, I couldn't agree more. I really miss the slick AMD Radeon Settings. I couldn't believe how antiquated the nvidia control panel was.

4. Wrinkly

Wise Guy

Yeah, it does have a Windows 1.0 feel about it.

5. GoogalyMoogaly

Soldato

I'm not against a driver re-write, I just hope they don't do what AMD did, their new UI is horrific (IMO).

6. Simon Belmont

Mobster

Are the new drivers bad then?

7. Robzere31

Mobster

I'm still using the 378.92 drivers which are best part of a year old. All the latest releases lose me a good 1500 marks in benchmark programs.
    Haven't tried the latest 391.01 drivers yet, but probably will give them a go this weekend.

8. Aretak

Wise Guy

The latest one finally fixed an issue for me where World of Warcraft would randomly start hitching up every few seconds (in a rhythmic fashion). It would sometimes run completely fine, but then start doing it and continue doing so until a complete reboot of the system. All other games ran just fine. The last previous driver that didn't exhibit the same behavior was 388.13 from October. I even reinstalled both Windows 10 and the game over it, but the problem remained on a completely fresh install.

9. V F

Capodecina

How can you be on 378.92 with a 1080 Ti? 381.89 starts with the 1080 Ti.

10. hyperseven

Soldato

11. Robzere31

Mobster

Thats what afterburner is showing.

[​IMG]

Tried several other since having them installed & still find them to best performing.

12. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

He is definitely using them, I have seen them on his futuremark links.

They probably run as the TitanP (another GP102 card) can use them.

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm back on 372.70 despite some newer games kicking up a fuss and having to fake them into thinking I'm using newer - strangely they just work despite not having updates for some games and have none of the issues of newer drivers hah or the slight performance drop in some drivers since.

(That and I hate the new Shadowplay and its easier to stick with the old version with this driver).

Though with the update to Spotify today things don't seem happy if I have hardware acceleration enabled in Spotify with Firefox running - results in the cursor jumping around like its at 5fps - dunno if its related to the ongoing issue with Pascal cards and HW acceleration in Firefox which I've had no problem with before.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  14. Panos

Capodecina

You forgot to mention the FPS cap slider on the driver. Something Nvidia is missing and affecting greatly those using sub 120hz monitors with GTX1060 upwards, and all the laptops. Where the lack of real gsync forces the usage of vsync with big input lag.
    Otherwise there is tearing. (yes with gsync on, in laptops -_-)

15. hyperseven

Soldato

Doesn't Rivatuner do this?

16. V F

Capodecina

What games?

Yes.

17. TheSwede

Mobster

I recently bought a 1080Ti and am getting this Event ID 13 error as well since then. It happens randomly when I'm just browsing or watching YouTube/Twitch, haven't played much since I got the card but when I have played it been just fine. So was wondering if you been able to sort your issue ?? I am on the latest drivers, but if the 387.92 is working well for you, I wont mind using those. Bit irritating to have all 3 screens suddenly go black on me and then flickering back to life randomly.

18. Rroff

Man of Honour

You can enable the driver level framerate cap with nvinspector - not sure why nVidia depreciated it from going into the control panel though IIRC there is potentially the odd glitch with it.

19. V F

Capodecina

The drivers crash with Firefox Quantum and twitch usually. I had to go back to 385.41 for it to stop about a month ago.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31630327

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31586840

20. TheSwede

Mobster

Thanks but I not using the Firefix Quantum but the Firefix 56.0.2 (64-Bit) still. Didn't like the look of Quantum when it come out. And using Opera to watch Twitch with. But it happened again a couple times yesterday and this morning so called the shop and they said it sounded like a faulty card and asked if I could come in with it so they could check it, which I did. Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated ! :cool: