No offence intended but she sounds a lovely person just deciding something so big for the pair of you without reasonable discussion. Right now is not a time to take on any financial commitments. As mentioned above it's also not fair on the dog when you eventually return to work. For me the answer would be "No we're' not getting a dog." I wouldn't even entertain a discussion on it until the world settles down again.