Poll: *** The official 2022 iPad Pro thread (it has the M2 chip, WiFi 6E and everything!) ***

The new M2 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Soldato
I upgraded from the original 12.9” pro to the A12Z variant that is essentially the same as the M1 and the M2 bar chip and mini LED. (It still has pro motion and looks great).

It isn’t slow by any means, it does everything it needs to and although the battery is hit and miss and I was looking to replace it, I’ll easy get another year out of it and a power bank in the bag for those emergencies is hardly the end of the world if it does need a top up.

My main issue has always been the limits of iOS and lack of apps in the pro space. It is why when the m1 came out with its better mini led display and m1 that I simply didn’t bother. I can now see the pro apps will be coming but they will run on the OS not just a chip, that leaves an A12Z (the same chip used for the devs in planning for m1) as a great option still even if it is a bit slower as it will at the very least still do the job.

I can’t see a new pro coming out in 2023 unless it’s late in the year but this year is another one of those years where upgrading just isn’t worth it really for me.

So.. no upgrade to the 14 pro max from the 14 pro max. No upgrade for my watch (although I did get the ultra but see it as a different watch), I got the new M1 Max 16” and won’t be upgrading that for a while and even though I went m2 air, I didn’t need to, I only did so as my partner wanted the m1 air otherwise I’d have left it as it was.

Could apple be moving away from a bi-yearly upgrade expectation to a 3 year now given the reuse of the chassis yet again and treating the pro more like the MacBook lines?

I guess time will tell.

Soldato
Coming from the Mini5 anything that's current will be faster, but I want it to last a while which is why I was thinking M1, all I 'need' is a larger screen and more storage, I need to spend more time on the comparison page...

Soldato
Admittedly I’m someone who has the 2018 Pro and perfectly content with it (as far as iPads go). But surely the change from 2021 to 2022 yields you absolutely nothing, aside from the chip? (and the ‘hover’ thing).
And given how overpowered the iPad/iPadOS is there would be no noticeable difference whatsoever?

Totally but I like new things! :cry:

Yeh, the upgrade would be minimum!

Associate
Does anyone know if they’re bringing out the magic keyboard folio for the ipad pro?

I would like to have the kick stand as a stand alone cover to switch between my current magic keyboard, as I do not always want it in “laptop” mode

Soldato
Yeha I've been saying that for years, why Apple doesn't release something a bit more 'Pro' like is a miss IMHO, especially as they're now on M1's the same as the Macbooks etc.

Associate
For your usage I can't see the need to spend more. 2 year warranty with John Lewis too.
Yeah was away last week when I posted the question.

Just had a good look now to get 2 new models would cost an extra £400 .

If I get the 9th gen Wi-Fi and one with cellular it looks to be a decent saving .

Screen size would be nicer a bit bigger but at a cost I guess .

Soldato
Really see no reason to upgrade either of my 2021 11" & 12.9 pro ipads with these minor updates on the new models..

Going to wait till the 11" comes with an OLED or Mini-Led screen (If it ever does)

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Really see no reason to upgrade either of my 2021 11" & 12.9 pro ipads with these minor updates on the new models..

Going to wait till the 11" comes with an OLED or Mini-Led screen (If it ever does)

It's the same with most things in tech these days. You need to wait 2-3 iterations before you see a meaningful upgrade.

Associate
For your usage I can't see the need to spend more. 2 year warranty with John Lewis too.
Is the John lewis extra protection worth it you think ?
2 years' Protect Plus for your technology (accidental damage cover)

They've put the price up a bit now on them :(

Thanks

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Is the John lewis extra protection worth it you think ?
2 years' Protect Plus for your technology (accidental damage cover)

They've put the price up a bit now on them :(

Thanks
You can always take out AppleCare+ if you want more protection which is a few quid per month.

Back
Top Bottom