• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Okay Guys,

Removed my 5600X and in went the 5800X with no issues.

A few questions.

Running Cinebench Multi-Core test for a little over 10min (or so) saw my temps climb to 81*C..............is this okay?
Cinebench score came out as 14911............is that about right for my spec system (see signituare)?
CPU ideals around 35*C - 40*C...........is this normal?

Everything auto on BIOS with a Core Voltage of 1.415 I think.

Worth turning on eco-mode (dont have an option in Ryzen Mater for eco-mode though)?

Anthing i can do to lower the temps or any useful tweaks?

Last edited:
Okay Guys,

Removed my 5600X and in went the 5800X with no issues.

A few questions.

Running Cinebench Multi-Core test for a little over 10min (or so) saw my temps climb to 81*C..............is this okay?
Cinebench score came out as 14911............is that about right for my spec system (see signituare)?
CPU ideals around 35*C - 40*C...........is this normal?

Everything auto on BIOS with a Core Voltage of 1.415 I think.

Worth turning on eco-mode (dont have an option in Ryzen Mater for eco-mode though)?

Anthing i can do to lower the temps or any useful tweaks?

81c is not too bad and well with in spec, mine hits 90 tho i only have a 120mm AIO and will be upgrading soon.

14900 is perhaps a little low tho i don't think there is anything wrong with that, should be around 15300 out of the box, its only down by a couple %.

Do you know how to use the Curve Optimiser? it might be worth you setting that Negative 15, it might bring your temps down a little with no loss in performance.

81c is not too bad and well with in spec, mine hits 90 tho i only have a 120mm AIO and will be upgrading soon.

14900 is perhaps a little low tho i don't think there is anything wrong with that, should be around 15300 out of the box, its only down by a couple %.

Do you know how to use the Curve Optimiser? it might be worth you setting that Negative 15, it might bring your temps down a little with no loss in performance.

Thanks for your comment. I did run the test whilst i was working so maybe that brought the score down? Might retest with nothing else open.

EDIT: Re-did the test and got a score of 15221

I did notice in Cinebench that it only uses up to 4.6Ghz of each core rather than the full 4.8Ghz. is this normal?

Changed Curve optimiser to -15 and it crashed under Cinebench testing :/ so I've set everything back to default. Currently idling at 31*C although i had to increase my Noctua CPU fan speeds to 1000rpm from 600rpm and increase 3x No case fans from 500rpm to 800rpm. Still pretty silent though

Last edited:
Cinebench that it only uses up to 4.6Ghz of each core rather than the full 4.8Ghz. is this normal?
yes
In heavy multithreaded loads CPU limits the clockspeed based on power consumption and temperature. Technically could go as low as base clock, 3.8. Never heard it happen with Zen 3

your load and idle temps are good
CB score is sensitive to background application activity, rgb managers and game library clients are known to affect it.

yes
In heavy multithreaded loads CPU limits the clockspeed based on power consumption and temperature. Technically could go as low as base clock, 3.8. Never heard it happen with Zen 3

your load and idle temps are good
CB score is sensitive to background application activity, rgb managers and game library clients are known to affect it.

Okay so getting into it a little now.

Went into BIOS and Changed the following:

Precision Boost - Advanced
PBO Limits - Disabled
Curve Optimiser - All Cores
Value - Negative 12
(like i said -15 crashed)

Ran CB again and got a score of 15421

Not seen any real change in Temps at 100% load...still hits 80*C.

Anything else i can do?

Okay so getting into it a little now.

Went into BIOS and Changed the following:

Precision Boost - Advanced
PBO Limits - Disabled
Curve Optimiser - All Cores
Value - Negative 12
(like i said -15 crashed)

Ran CB again and got a score of 15421

Not seen any real change in Temps at 100% load...still hits 80*C.

Anything else i can do?
Try changing PBO limits to manual then try 125PPT 125EDC 88TDC as this should reduce temps quite a bit.

Try changing PBO limits to manual then try 125PPT 125EDC 88TDC as this should reduce temps quite a bit.

Thank you.
Changed to those settings and temps running CB were a max of 72*C!!!!
Idle now is around 28/30*C

I've taken a bit of hit on the performance i think as my CB score has dropped down to 15169 from 154211. I think thats because during the tests all cores were running at 4.5Ghz where as previously they were running at 4.6Ghz.

Anything i can change to get the performance back? I dont mind the temp going up 2/3*C...

Thank you.
Changed to those settings and temps running CB were a max of 72*C!!!!
Idle now is around 28/30*C

I've taken a bit of hit on the performance i think as my CB score has dropped down to 15169 from 154211. I think thats because during the tests all cores were running at 4.5Ghz where as previously they were running at 4.6Ghz.

Anything i can change to get the performance back? I dont mind the temp going up 2/3*C...
You can gain that performance back if you can get lower with the curve optimiser but since you said it gets unstable at -15 then you would need to bring PPT/EDC back up a bit. Try 130 PPT / 128 EDC.

TBH though losing 260 points off a benchmark score of 15000+ is still a solid trade off for 9c lower temps and something you likely wouldn't notice in real world scenarios and was still better than the stock score :).

Last edited:
You can gain that performance back if you can get lower with the curve optimiser but since you said it gets unstable at -15 then you would need to bring PPT/EDC back up a bit. Try 130 PPT / 128 EDC.

TBH though losing 260 points off a benchmark score of 15000+ is still a solid trade off for 9c lower temps and something you likely wouldn't notice in real world scenarios and was still better than the stock score :).

Your completely right!
I just thought to do a little more tweaking.

Changed settings to:
Curve Optimiser to -13
130PPT
130EDC

New CB score - 15339
Max Temp - 73*C

No crashes yet so fingers crossed its stable. May need to do some stress testing.
I've even managed to lower the fan RPM's due to the lower temps :)

Must say im really impressed with the 5800X. I did hear horror storie sof hot it ran before i bought it.

It might just be me but coming from a 5600X i feel as if apps are opening quicker..?!

Last edited:
4.6Ghz for a load like CB is normal, its the same as me, it only boosts to 4.8Ghz or so in less stressful loads.

As far as i can see your CPU is running normally.

Thank you.
I was just a little worried coming from a 5600X which was super cool.

Thanks to you guys on this forum i have sorted out all issues and now have a 8Core running at cool temps. There really wanst any issues to begin with but cooler temps = quiter system.

Did some more tuning....PPT@127, EDC@127, Curve Optimiser @-15 (looks like the power optimisations have stabled the CO). No loss in performance and temps around 70/72*C at full load. Idling around 28/30*C

Thank you.

Thanks to you guys on this forum i have sorted out all issues and now have a 8Core running at cool temps. There really wanst any issues to begin with but cooler temps = quiter system.

Did some more tuning....PPT@127, EDC@127, Curve Optimiser @-15 (looks like the power optimisations have stabled the CO). No loss in performance and temps around 70/72*C at full load. Idling around 28/30*C
I think out of all the new zen 3 CPUs the 5800X is the one that needs a bit of tuning since out the box it has the same power limit as the 12 and 16 core chips so tries to use a bit to much power per core which isn't really necessary and just raises the temps for no actual performance gains.

Thank you.

It does use quite a lot more power, weirdly for something that has 33% more cores its uses 85% more power. Its the same as the 12 core 5900X.

ssXVa0v.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1634...i710700k-review-is-65w-comet-lake-an-option/2

For anyone looking at that slide thinking rated power or "TDP" is a lie, yea, well no. sort of.

Both AMD and Intel rate their TDP on the base clocks, the clocks they write on the box, IE 3.8Ghz for the 5800X and 4.1Ghz for the 10600K, it is accurate if they were running at those clock's, that's were the lie is, they don't, you put them on half decent motherboards and coolers both will shoot for the sky, they call it boost, they are hard-wired to do it and use more power doing it.

It does use quite a lot more power, weirdly for something that has 33% more cores its uses 85% more power. Its the same as the 12 core 5900X.

ssXVa0v.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1634...i710700k-review-is-65w-comet-lake-an-option/2

That is very interesting to look at. Not sure why AMD could not have optimised it more.
I will probbaly upgrade to the 5900X in the future when supply and cost is no longer an issue (that rules out 2021 then!). I guess because thats 12 Core, optimisations will be less and one would have to put up with the higher temps?

But so far really happy with the 5800X. Defo seen an improvement in productivity from the 5600X

That is very interesting to look at. Not sure why AMD could not have optimised it more.
I will probbaly upgrade to the 5900X in the future when supply and cost is no longer an issue (that rules out 2021 then!). I guess because thats 12 Core, optimisations will be less and one would have to put up with the higher temps?

But so far really happy with the 5800X. Defo seen an improvement in productivity from the 5600X

I don't know, they both have the same TDP rating, not that this means much but it might indicate they instruct the motherboard to treat them both in the same way, the 5800X might be setup for higher all core 'gaming' boost clocks.

Just by adding +50Mhz i get this, and all cores are pretty well loaded here, i don't think the 5900X does this.

I was pretty gob-smacked when i first saw that.

ZzpS5a5.jpg.png

I should add that was my first test, i had literally just dropped it in after the 3600 and added +50Mhz, Riva Tuner was still setup to read 12 threads, it boost like that on all 16 in games, i'll push it to 5Ghz when i get my new cooler. :D

I've just had a 5800X/MSI X570 Tomahawk delivered from OcUK. Looking forward so much to getting off of X299!

Just gotta grab the EK AM4 Mounting kit I lent to a friend and then the loop tear down begins. Timed a two week holiday from work well with this haha.

I don't know, they both have the same TDP rating, not that this means much but it might indicate they instruct the motherboard to treat them both in the same way, the 5800X might be setup for higher all core 'gaming' boost clocks.

Just by adding +50Mhz i get this, and all cores are pretty well loaded here, i don't think the 5900X does this.

I was pretty gob-smacked when i first saw that.

How do you show cpu clock speed and temp on that OSD. Can get everything but them.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom