• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Hopefully someone here could give me some advice...

I've used Intel CPUs as long as I've been building PCs, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to AMD CPUs.

I was using a 6600k CPU on a ASUS Z170-A board - I've now switched to a 5600x on a B550 MSI board - I have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 CPU Fan, but it doesn't look like it's coming now until next week, so for the meantime I am using the PC on the stock AMD CPU Cooler.

I've not put it under too much stress, but as soon as I got it installed, I loaded up Cyberpunk 2077 :p I got about 10 mins in, and then I quit the game, and when it was exiting the PC dropped out to a blue screen and the PC reset itself warning me that the CPU was overheating.

Now I've heard the stock cooler is pretty poor, so I was half expecting this - However, I was hoping to use it this weekend to get some Gaming in, and now I won't get the Noctua until next week, I was hoping someone here would know if there was something I could do, so that I could safely play games this weekend using the Stock cooler.

Is it possible to limit the CPU at all (just until I get my new CPU Fan)?

Another thing is... When on my PC desktop, the CPU idles around 45-50C. While running CPUID HWMonitor, and running something like MalwareBytes (or anything that's going to use the CPU really) - The CPU voltage jumps from 0.98V to around 1.3V and the temperature then steeply rises (along with the fan RPMs increasing) - Does this seem normal? I don't remember my CPU fan adjusting itself or the temps rising while using standard desktop tools while using my Intel CPU (although I admit, I never checked it, but I've noticed it because I can hear when the CPU Fan increases in speed).

Any other information you could give me as an AMD newbie, would be great :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Honestly seems very odd that a CPU running at stock is overheating in a game.

There was talk in the past of some motherboard manufacturers effectively overclocking CPUs by default, and I'm wondering if that's happening here. A stock cooler should be able to run a CPU at stock, and I know in the past the AMD ones could.

I'm going to put my 5800x in tomorrow and familiarise myself with the Ryzen curve undervolting stuff. I'd look into that, if I were you, and even just cap voltage in the bios to reduce power draw and heat.

I'd also check thermal paste application if I were you. Not that you've not put a CPU in before, but it just really does surprise me that Cyberpunk caused it to overheat like that.

Guys. I was having temp issues and fans ramping up to full tilt with my 5800X. I did the following this morning and it seems to have sorted my issues:

Go to Windows settings - System - Power & Sleep - additional power settings - change plan settings - processor power management - minimum processor state. Mine was set at 100% - I've knocked this down to 20% now and everything is behaving as you would expect.

Guys. I was having temp issues and fans ramping up to full tilt with my 5800X. I did the following this morning and it seems to have sorted my issues:

Go to Windows settings - System - Power & Sleep - additional power settings - change plan settings - processor power management - minimum processor state. Mine was set at 100% - I've knocked this down to 20% now and everything is behaving as you would expect.

Edit: Hold on a sec. Just noticed I'm no longer boosting above 3.8 Ghz.

Edit: Think I chose a plan created by Advanced System Care accidently. Boosting now. Still worth checking these settings to see where your are...

Last edited:

My minimum is 0% and Maximum is 100%
Im on the "Balanced" state.

If i choose performance its 100% min and max

EDIT: I have noticed that some of my cores are reporting max figures of 5014Mhz in HWMonitor. Its only 3 of the cores with the others ranging from a minimum of 4841Mhz to a max of 4873Mhz. There must be some boost applied by my mobo?

Last edited:
5800x out of box plus out of box RAM 2x16 running at 2400 if that matters.

Will post when played with

Cinebench R23 - 5800x @ 3.8ghz

Cinebench Single Core - 1591
Cinebench Multi Core - 15411
MP ratio 9.68x

SINGLE
cTpd05.jpg

MULTI
7NtNnO.jpg

My minimum is 0% and Maximum is 100%
Im on the "Balanced" state.

If i choose performance its 100% min and max

EDIT: I have noticed that some of my cores are reporting max figures of 5014Mhz in HWMonitor. Its only 3 of the cores with the others ranging from a minimum of 4841Mhz to a max of 4873Mhz. There must be some boost applied by my mobo?
I'd use HWinfo as HW monitor seems to report wrong values sometimes, I had a X5670 which would show max clocks of 5500mhz even though it was fixed to an all core OC of 4.4ghz.

I've just dropped in my 5800X and the performance is great in games without touching a thing other than my ram is at 3600 so upped the infinity clock to 1800mhz.

One thing I'm a little perplexed by is that I'm seeing boosting up to 4850mhz all cores simultaneously in games on afterburner, I have no PBO or anything turned on yet... bone stock other than the infinity clock change. I thought these were locked to their advertised 4.7ghz until you fiddle with adding clock offsets or PBO etc.... are the motherboards playing silly buggers?

I need to do a lot of reading up on the curve optimiser as that's all new to me.

The Box Cooler, as a cooler, is not great, i don't know as a fact but i just don't think its up to the job of cooling these CPU's, not even the 5600X.

If its telling you the CPU is overheating then its overheating, a quick test you can do, run HWMonintor or HWInfo, the later is more reliable, i find HWMonitor can freeze up during high loads, open up CPU-Z, go to the bench tab and click on the stress button, CPU-Z is not actually that higher stress test, if the CPU gets to 90c or more the cooler is not enough.

To add to that you could try running the CPU in ECO mode until your new cooler arrives, you should find that option somewhere in your BIOS.

On MSI boards the option for Eco is in OC -> Advanced CPU Config-> PBO -> ECO Mode

I think there are a few options (Eco Mode 1/Eco Mode 2). Any will do.

Thanks a lot for your advise guys :) I've just spent a bit of time tweaking. Here are some results:

Before
Idle: 45c
CPUID Stress Test: Gets to 69c after 10 seconds, then ramps up to 79c in 3 minutes - Stabilises at around 81c after 10 minutes

After
Idle: 43c
CPUID Stress Test: 59c after 10 seconds, 66c after 3 minutes - Stabilises at 67c by 4 minutes

I set the CPU to run in ECO mode (45W) - The results from that alone were great. I also tweaked the case and CPU fan speeds.

I just opened up Cyberpunk 2077 and positioned myself in a busy part of the city and watched the temps and it reached a max of 81c after 10 mins - Which I think should be fine right?

Honestly seems very odd that a CPU running at stock is overheating in a game.

There was talk in the past of some motherboard manufacturers effectively overclocking CPUs by default, and I'm wondering if that's happening here. A stock cooler should be able to run a CPU at stock, and I know in the past the AMD ones could.

I'm going to put my 5800x in tomorrow and familiarise myself with the Ryzen curve undervolting stuff. I'd look into that, if I were you, and even just cap voltage in the bios to reduce power draw and heat.

I'd also check thermal paste application if I were you. Not that you've not put a CPU in before, but it just really does surprise me that Cyberpunk caused it to overheat like that.

Yeah I'm definitely still not ruling out that I've done a poor job with installing the CPU fan in the first place - I knew I was installing it as a temporary measure, so I even just used the thermal pad that was on the processor already rather than using paste of my own.

Setting the CPU to run in ECO mode has helped the temps a lot for sure.

But yeah... this AMD fan I think is pretty garbage anyway - so I really can't wait until the Noctua turns up :p

I should add that was my first test, i had literally just dropped it in after the 3600 and added +50Mhz, Riva Tuner was still setup to read 12 threads, it boost like that on all 16 in games, i'll push it to 5Ghz when i get my new cooler. :D

That's amazing.

So stock settings with a +50MHz increase in the bios?

I just put my 5800x in. Tried 2000MHz IF and it booted and ran stability tests fine, seemingly, but OCCT said it had WHEA errors. I tried 1900 with Ryzen DRAM Calculator settings but it seemed reluctant to play. Eventually went back to my IF 1800MHz ram settings that I had used with the 3900x. All seems fine but I think I'll have a go at IF 1900 later.

Undervolt curve at - 30 (max possible). All cores staying between 4,750 and 4,825 for most of Cinebench R23 test, 75 degrees max.
Multi core score 16,073 (seems good?)
Single core 1,593 (a touch low?)

Edit: Ran R20, which I'm more familiar with, and get 6,228 multi core, comparing to roughly 7,000 on my old 3900x at stock (best of 7,572, which wasn't perfectly stable). Really impressed with the 5800x!

Edit 2: tried adding to PBO clock offset. +100MHz seemed stable,
+200 then +150 both blue screened at Windows entry. +100 ran Cinebench R23 multi core fine (16,213 score), but crashed on starting the single core test.
+50 seemed stable but then ducked out of Windows on starting R23 Multi test. Not a proper crash though, came back to login screen really quickly. Strange.

Edit 3:
Tried taking away UV and adding max boost.
UV 0, +200MHz gave R23 multi of around 15,400, with single core around 1,640.
UV 10, +200MHz gave R23 multi of 15,825, single core of 1,654. I'll make sure it's totally stable then settle on this, I think!

Last edited:
One other 5800x observation: idles much lower temp than my 3900x. 3900x was around 40 degrees, maybe a touch under. 5800x with undervolt curve is 22-25!

Thanks a lot for your advise guys :) I've just spent a bit of time tweaking. Here are some results:

Before
Idle: 45c
CPUID Stress Test: Gets to 69c after 10 seconds, then ramps up to 79c in 3 minutes - Stabilises at around 81c after 10 minutes

After
Idle: 43c
CPUID Stress Test: 59c after 10 seconds, 66c after 3 minutes - Stabilises at 67c by 4 minutes

I set the CPU to run in ECO mode (45W) - The results from that alone were great. I also tweaked the case and CPU fan speeds.

I just opened up Cyberpunk 2077 and positioned myself in a busy part of the city and watched the temps and it reached a max of 81c after 10 mins - Which I think should be fine right?

Yeah I'm definitely still not ruling out that I've done a poor job with installing the CPU fan in the first place - I knew I was installing it as a temporary measure, so I even just used the thermal pad that was on the processor already rather than using paste of my own.

Setting the CPU to run in ECO mode has helped the temps a lot for sure.

But yeah... this AMD fan I think is pretty garbage anyway - so I really can't wait until the Noctua turns up :p

81c is fine, for that cooler i guess, i think your GPU is dumping a lot of heat into the case which that cooler just cannot cope with, as long as its not blue screening anymore it will be fine for now :)

That's amazing.

So stock settings with a +50MHz increase in the bios?

I just put my 5800x in. Tried 2000MHz IF and it booted and ran stability tests fine, seemingly, but OCCT said it had WHEA errors. I tried 1900 with Ryzen DRAM Calculator settings but it seemed reluctant to play. Eventually went back to my IF 1800MHz ram settings that I had used with the 3900x. All seems fine but I think I'll have a go at IF 1900 later.

Undervolt curve at - 30 (max possible). All cores staying between 4,750 and 4,825 for most of Cinebench R23 test, 75 degrees max.
Multi core score 16,073 (seems good?)

Edit: Ran R20, which I'm more familiar with, and get 6,228 multi core, comparing to roughly 7,000 on my old 3900x at stock (best of 7,572, which wasn't perfectly stable). Really impressed with the 5800x!

Yeah, that's pretty good actually :) mine scores about 15500 with clocks around 4.6Ghz.

Maybe a little.

81c is fine, for that cooler i guess, i think your GPU is dumping a lot of heat into the case which that cooler just cannot cope with, as long as its not blue screening anymore it will be fine for now :)

Yeah I think you’re right - Looking at adding/upgrading my case fans now :)

Back
Top Bottom