• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

I bet this is a stupid Q but how did you add the +50Mhz?

AMD%20Ryzen%205000%20Series%20-%20Precision%20Boost%20Overdrive%202-page-011.jpg

Hopefully someone here could give me some advice...

I've used Intel CPUs as long as I've been building PCs, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to AMD CPUs.

I was using a 6600k CPU on a ASUS Z170-A board - I've now switched to a 5600x on a B550 MSI board - I have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 CPU Fan, but it doesn't look like it's coming now until next week, so for the meantime I am using the PC on the stock AMD CPU Cooler.

I've not put it under too much stress, but as soon as I got it installed, I loaded up Cyberpunk 2077 :p I got about 10 mins in, and then I quit the game, and when it was exiting the PC dropped out to a blue screen and the PC reset itself warning me that the CPU was overheating.

Now I've heard the stock cooler is pretty poor, so I was half expecting this - However, I was hoping to use it this weekend to get some Gaming in, and now I won't get the Noctua until next week, I was hoping someone here would know if there was something I could do, so that I could safely play games this weekend using the Stock cooler.

Is it possible to limit the CPU at all (just until I get my new CPU Fan)?

Another thing is... When on my PC desktop, the CPU idles around 45-50C. While running CPUID HWMonitor, and running something like MalwareBytes (or anything that's going to use the CPU really) - The CPU voltage jumps from 0.98V to around 1.3V and the temperature then steeply rises (along with the fan RPMs increasing) - Does this seem normal? I don't remember my CPU fan adjusting itself or the temps rising while using standard desktop tools while using my Intel CPU (although I admit, I never checked it, but I've noticed it because I can hear when the CPU Fan increases in speed).

Any other information you could give me as an AMD newbie, would be great :)

Thanks in advance! :)

I bet this is a stupid Q but how did you add the +50Mhz?
Once you start increasing the core offset it limits what you can get with curve optimiser so the trade off is higher single core for lower all core clocks, I played around with this in some games and found while it shows 5ghz on the monitoring software it made do difference to fps in games at least at 1440p so I just left at the stock 4.85 which meant I could use a higher negative curve for better temps and efficiency.

I've used Intel CPUs as long as I've been building PCs, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to AMD CPUs.

I was using a 6600k CPU on a ASUS Z170-A board - I've now switched to a 5600x on a B550 MSI board - I have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 CPU Fan, but it doesn't look like it's coming now until next week, so for the meantime I am using the PC on the stock AMD CPU Cooler.

I've not put it under too much stress, but as soon as I got it installed, I loaded up Cyberpunk 2077 :p I got about 10 mins in, and then I quit the game, and when it was exiting the PC dropped out to a blue screen and the PC reset itself warning me that the CPU was overheating.

Now I've heard the stock cooler is pretty poor, so I was half expecting this - However, I was hoping to use it this weekend to get some Gaming in, and now I won't get the Noctua until next week, I was hoping someone here would know if there was something I could do, so that I could safely play games this weekend using the Stock cooler.

Another thing is... When on my PC desktop, the CPU idles around 45-50C. While running CPUID HWMonitor, and running something like MalwareBytes (or anything that's going to use the CPU really) - The CPU voltage jumps from 0.98V to around 1.3V and the temperature then steeply rises (along with the fan RPMs increasing) - Does this seem normal? I don't remember my CPU fan adjusting itself or the temps rising while using standard desktop tools while using my Intel CPU (although I admit, I never checked it, but I've noticed it because I can hear when the CPU Fan increases in speed).

The Box Cooler, as a cooler, is not great, i don't know as a fact but i just don't think its up to the job of cooling these CPU's, not even the 5600X.

If its telling you the CPU is overheating then its overheating, a quick test you can do, run HWMonintor or HWInfo, the later is more reliable, i find HWMonitor can freeze up during high loads, open up CPU-Z, go to the bench tab and click on the stress button, CPU-Z is not actually that higher stress test, if the CPU gets to 90c or more the cooler is not enough.

Once you start increasing the core offset it limits what you can get with curve optimiser so the trade off is higher single core for lower all core clocks, I played around with this in some games and found while it shows 5ghz on the monitoring software it made do difference to fps in games at least at 1440p so I just left at the stock 4.85 which meant I could use a higher negative curve for better temps and efficiency.

Ye i think im going to stick with -15 negative curve for the very same reason. I prefer a cooler and quieter system

To add to that you could try running the CPU in ECO mode until your new cooler arrives, you should find that option somewhere in your BIOS.

On MSI boards the option for Eco is in OC -> Advanced CPU Config-> PBO -> ECO Mode

I think there are a few options (Eco Mode 1/Eco Mode 2). Any will do.

Back
Top Bottom