• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

What are temps like as the all core does seem low, should be boosting to around 4.5-4.6 all core at stock.

Temps aren't a problem - never peaks over 55c. I have overkill cooling on it (Alphacool Extreme 280) just so I can run it nice and cool and quiet. I can see individual cores boosting over 4.7, but when its a heavy multi thread test they never get higher than 4-4.1

My C20 scores are the same, single core seems OK, but multi seems on the lower side.

This is what happens during a multicore test of R23, as you can see all the cores hit around 4ghz and don't move any higher. Temperatures are low. Voltages also seem low? I havent changed any of the settings. The BIOS is the latest 'beta' one that enables SAM on the X570 tomahawk.

This is with PBO enabled with manual limits:

PPT 125
TDC 105
EDC 120
MAX OC 200MHz

This way it boosts all cores to 4.4, much higher volts and subsequently temperatures. But should I have to do this? Shouldn’t it be boosting better on all cores without PBO?

roll 6

Last edited:
@rare I would double check the bios to make sure the 45w Eco mode isn't enabled somewhere as that's what it looks like judging by how much power it's using on the first pic.

@rare I would double check the bios to make sure the 45w Eco mode isn't enabled somewhere as that's what it looks like judging by how much power it's using on the first pic.

I thought the same but everything is set to off. Something is definitely limiting the CPU in default settings....

I thought the same but everything is set to off. Something is definitely limiting the CPU in default settings....
You need to set the PBO Limits to Motherboard, that will allow some extra headroom. From your Ryzen Master screenshots you are hitting the PPT and EDC limits of your manual values.

You need to set the PBO Limits to Motherboard, that will allow some extra headroom. From your Ryzen Master screenshots you are hitting the PPT and EDC limits of your manual values.

This is with PBO enabled and power limits set to motherboard. As you can see it totally removes the PPT limit (it raises it all the way to 500w!!). But in doing so all cores now boost to 4450, but with a much greater vcore of between 1.3 to 1.38 (seems a lot?).

CPU power is at around 95w though, which is obviously greater than the 88W PPT they have from factory. Temperatures are staying under 80c.

In its stock settings the motherboard is definitely limiting the CPU power wise, with everything set to default (but no Eco mode I checked that). I assume it is probably a BIOS issue.

With these settings I get a R23 multi score of 10984, which is an improvement but still seems a little off what some people are getting.

This is with PBO enabled and power limits set to motherboard. As you can see it totally removes the PPT limit (it raises it all the way to 500w!!). But in doing so all cores now boost to 4450, but with a much greater vcore of between 1.3 to 1.38 (seems a lot?).

CPU power is at around 95w though, which is obviously greater than the 88W PPT they have from factory. Temperatures are staying under 80c.

In its stock settings the motherboard is definitely limiting the CPU power wise, with everything set to default (but no Eco mode I checked that). I assume it is probably a BIOS issue.

With these settings I get a R23 multi score of 10984, which is an improvement but still seems a little off what some people are getting.

No, it's not a BIOS issue. Everything is performing as it should, these are just the default values for PPT, EDC etc for the 5600x. It is a 65W part after all.

Overclocking with PBO simply raises the limits, though ultimately you will still be limited by EDC as that only goes up so far.

Everything looks normal and expected, stop worrying. :)

No, it's not a BIOS issue. Everything is performing as it should, these are just the default values for PPT, EDC etc for the 5600x. It is a 65W part after all.

Overclocking with PBO simply raises the limits, though ultimately you will still be limited by EDC as that only goes up so far.

Everything looks normal and expected, stop worrying. :)

I guess you are right, it is just every review I saw of the 5600x showed all cores boosting quite high at default settings. Where as mine will only boost to 4050 in default settings. Which I was a bit disappointed by!

Interestingly with the above settings it has no impact on single core R23 scores, being identical to the score with everything at default. I will test some games but I am assuming it wont have much impact either way, as they are usually not so reliant on strong all core performance.

I guess you are right, it is just every review I saw of the 5600x showed all cores boosting quite high at default settings. Where as mine will only boost to 4050 in default settings. Which I was a bit disappointed by!

Interestingly with the above settings it has no impact on single core R23 scores, being identical to the score with everything at default. I will test some games but I am assuming it wont have much impact either way, as they are usually not so reliant on strong all core performance.
They probably had PBO enabled in some form, or perhaps the motherboard they used had higher default values allowing a bit more boost.

There is definetly something limiting the stock performance as CPU power on ryzen master is showing as just 49w, have you tried just changing the ppt to 88w as that looks to be the culprit.

Worth having a good look through the bios as some like my msi bios has 2 places to change these settings

There is definetly something limiting the stock performance as CPU power on ryzen master is showing as just 49w, have you tried just changing the ppt to 88w as that looks to be the culprit.
Good spot, default should be 88W i believe for the 5600x but his is listed as 76W. That'll be down to the motherboard then.

With everything set to AUTO, except PPT adjusted manually to 88. All cores boosting to 4250 to 4300, 100% of PPT power. Temperatures at 59-61c.

As you can see the voltages are much lower than with PBO enabled, hence the reduction in temps. I am tempted to keep it this way, slightly lower R23 all core score than with PBO on - 10598 vs 10984. I think in games (which I have yet to test) the difference will be pretty minimal, and its worth sacrificing a bit of all core performance for lower temps and noise. Interestingly the single core result doesn't seem to fluctuate much regardless.

It is still a lower all core boost than I have seen many have, but like LtMatt said, you don't know how many of those are running with some background settings in the BIOS.

I read a few initial reviews where it was noted that the CPU's were running at 76w even though they have a PPT of 88W. Not sure if this is on purpose or if this is a mistake across a lot of motherboards.

Best I could do with PBO maxed out :)

Last edited:
With everything set to AUTO, except PPT adjusted manually to 88. All cores boosting to 4250 to 4300, 100% of PPT power. Temperatures at 59-61c.

Now try adding +100 clock offset and curve optimiser negative -10 on the cores and see if that improves score while keeping temps and voltages the same.

Now try adding +100 clock offset and curve optimiser negative -10 on the cores and see if that improves score while keeping temps and voltages the same.

Done exactly that, I am pretty happy with where it stands now. Stock PPT/TDC/EDC settings, 100+ core offset, curve optimiser on all cores negative 10. All cores boost to around 4350, single core boosts over 4.6 (best I saw was 4.8). Best single core score I have had so far, with much lower volts and very sensible temps. This gives me a higher score than when everything was set to max and it was pumping 1.4+ vcore and 80c temps.

It may not be the strongest scores around, but I am happy with that :)

Done exactly that, I am pretty happy with where it stands now. Stock PPT/TDC/EDC settings, 100+ core offset, curve optimiser on all cores negative 10. All cores boost to around 4350, single core boosts over 4.6 (best I saw was 4.8). Best single core score I have had so far, with much lower volts and very sensible temps. This gives me a higher score than when everything was set to max and it was pumping 1.4+ vcore and 80c temps.

It may not be the strongest scores around, but I am happy with that :)

You can try for more with the curve optimiser -15 ~ -20 if it's stable as this should boost multi core even more.

I settled at -20 with my 5800X as -25 would crash but pretty pleased with the result as it boosted multi by 500 points in R23 and runs cooler.

You can try for more with the curve optimiser -15 ~ -20 if it's stable as this should boost multi core even more.

I settled at -20 with my 5800X as -25 would crash but pretty pleased with the result as it boosted multi by 500 points in R23 and runs cooler.

Will have a further play at some point :) Its a shame this CPU was so poor out of the box, in terms of multicore boosting at least. Most people would plug it in and not be aware I guess. But the way the BIOS/Motherboard is setup really isn't running it sensibly in default settings.

Will have a further play at some point :) Its a shame this CPU was so poor out of the box, in terms of multicore boosting at least. Most people would plug it in and not be aware I guess. But the way the BIOS/Motherboard is setup really isn't running it sensibly in default settings.
Yeah, its probably just down to the early bios being a bit buggy so hopefully things will improve in a month or two.

My FPS doubled after installing the 5600x! A huge improvement on my 1600. Really impressed with the improvement, and that's before I've installed ny new 32gb 3600hz ram.

My FPS doubled after installing the 5600x! A huge improvement on my 1600. Really impressed with the improvement, and that's before I've installed ny new 32gb 3600hz ram.

I seen videos of people upgrading from a 3700x and getting on average 20fps increase in modern games. Yours must have been an even bigger increase.

Back
Top Bottom