****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
I see in your screenshots that you are using wireless. Have you check that you are still using the wifi settings? Like wifi 6 vs 5, 2.4gz vs 5ghz, etc? What is the speed like with wired ethernet?
Those are prbbly a good place to start troubleshooting.

Associate
Hi All - I have been with Three 5G since October 2022 and I am trying to get to the bottom of why my speeds have changed so dramatically. I have posted the below on Three community site and thought I would post in some dedicated 5G forums to see if anyone else is experiencing the same, I know they are as the Three community site is getting new posts weekly about this -

Three are refusing to admit they are throttling connections yet multiple users have posted on the community site about this and stating they can not only hit 120mbps download when they used to hit much higher, these are different people in different parts of the country, being impacted exactly the same. My response I posted was this -

Hi All, just to say I am in exactly the position. I live right next to the 5G mast in my area, literally 30meters away. When I first went with three 5G broadband in October 2022, up until November 2023, I was hitting anything from 600 to 900mbps download, all the time, even peak hours, I still have all the results recorded on my ookla speed test app/account.

In November, Disney plus stopped loading on my TV stating I was out of region, nothing I did/changed could get it to load so contacted three, who advised they had made some changes to my account and restart my router and try again. Sure enough disney loaded, but from that point on my download speed is stuck at 120mbps, won't go any higher. It jumps to 400mbps when the speed test starts and then quickly drops down to 120mbps and stays there, clearly they are throttling and limiting the download speed.

I contacted them on multiple occasions over the next few months and they were giving me all sorts of excuses and said they had changed settings and to try again, and another said they were working in the area but it would be back to normal in a month. I speed test every week and nothing has changed, stuck on 120. I have had a month refunded and a month half price but all this time they are still claiming they do not limit the download speeds which is obviously absolute rubbish.

As someone else has mentioned, when I do a speed test on my phone, and I'm also with three, I still hit the usual 500mbps, nothing has changed with my phone, just my broadband from November onwards.

At the time I googled and couldn't find any posts on this so thought it was just an issue in my area, but after a speed test earlier, stuck on my 120, I googled and found this. Now I know this is happening to others I am going to contact them again and keep up the fight!

For those that want to leave three, due to the speed decreases, who are stuck in contract, they agreed with me that I could leave with no charges due to the change in service. When you first sign up, you get 30days no quibble trial to see how it works and what speeds you get and you can send back if you not happy. So, if the speeds you are getting now, do not match the ones when you first got it, you can argue this and say you want to leave without a charge!

A further update to this - I made three send me out a brand new replacement router, so I could rule out that being an issue. I have a new router, new sim card, and nothing changed. exactly the same stuck at 120mbps. You can clearly see in the screenshot below of my speed tests, the moment they made the changes at their end on the 14/11/23, and from this point on my speed has been throttled to 120mbps. I have also added a screenshot of speed tests from Feb 2023, compared to speed tests from Feb 2024 and the differences are striking. My speed used to vary, as non throttled speeds should between 400mbps up to 900mbps depending on the time of day as you would expect. Now, my download speeds have no variation at all, 7pm on Saturday evening at peak times, 120mpbs, 3am on a Sunday at the quietest time, 120mbps.

I would like someone from Three to respond and admit that they are throttling speeds on the home broadband now.

Speed Tests showing the dramatic drop in speeds the day Three changed the settings on my account at their end, and from this day forward (14/11/23), I am now stuck on 120mbps.

Speed Tests from Feb 2023 when my download speeds were not being limited and extremely impressive!

Speed tests from Jan/Feb 24 showing download speeds limited to 120mbps, up to 6 times slower than they were 1 year ago!

Does anyone have any comments of thoughts on this?
I have had exactly the same experience. I have been with Three since July 2022. For the first 15 months I was getting 500-900 Mbps down. For the past three months it has dropped to be no higher than 120 Mbps. Upload speeds are unchanged as that has always been done via 4G anyway. I think the difference is that CA (carrier aggregation) has been disabled, so download speeds are limited to 120 mbps vs the turbo speeds we had before. My router settings show "No CA", whereas, I am pretty sure CA was working before. I am not clear whether CA being on or off is set at the mast, or at the router. I haven't got around to swapping SIMs between phone and router to check since my router is up in the loft and is a bit of a pain to get to. Three will claim this is not throttling, and based on other threads I have read, the people you can speak to know nothing about CA. Nonetheless, as you said, the reports are now widespread of the same effective speed cap. When speeds first dropped for me there was a service report of engineering work in the area but after a couple of months this has gone, but speeds never returned even though now everything is reported as OK on the service status page. Location: very south of Edinburgh city boundary. I will very likely be cancelling contract at the end of my two years (or I might hang on long enough that the router is old enough not for Three to ask for a return when I do cancel).

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hey guys,

I'm currently running off a Vodafone 4G SIM Card inside a TP-Link Archer MR500.

I cannot get fibre in my house, but I am wondering if there's ways I can improve my connection by maybe an external antenna, or anything else you can recommend. I'm not sure if this router can even support an external atenna and I am not sure what antennas are recommended as there's so many different options.

If anyone can help me that would be great, my connection is not the best here so just hoping I can make some improvements somewhere.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm currently running off a Vodafone 4G SIM Card inside a TP-Link Archer MR500.

I cannot get fibre in my house, but I am wondering if there's ways I can improve my connection by maybe an external antenna, or anything else you can recommend. I'm not sure if this router can even support an external atenna and I am not sure what antennas are recommended as there's so many different options.

If anyone can help me that would be great, my connection is not the best here so just hoping I can make some improvements somewhere.

Got any stats from your router, SnR, RSSI etc? What speeds are you seeing at the moment, do you know where the cell you are connecting to is?

Soldato
Hi All - I have been with Three 5G since October 2022 and I am trying to get to the bottom of why my speeds have changed so dramatically. I have posted the below on Three community site and thought I would post in some dedicated 5G forums to see if anyone else is experiencing the same, I know they are as the Three community site is getting new posts weekly about this -

Three are refusing to admit they are throttling connections yet multiple users have posted on the community site about this and stating they can not only hit 120mbps download when they used to hit much higher, these are different people in different parts of the country, being impacted exactly the same. My response I posted was this -

Hi All, just to say I am in exactly the position. I live right next to the 5G mast in my area, literally 30meters away. When I first went with three 5G broadband in October 2022, up until November 2023, I was hitting anything from 600 to 900mbps download, all the time, even peak hours, I still have all the results recorded on my ookla speed test app/account.

In November, Disney plus stopped loading on my TV stating I was out of region, nothing I did/changed could get it to load so contacted three, who advised they had made some changes to my account and restart my router and try again. Sure enough disney loaded, but from that point on my download speed is stuck at 120mbps, won't go any higher. It jumps to 400mbps when the speed test starts and then quickly drops down to 120mbps and stays there, clearly they are throttling and limiting the download speed.

I contacted them on multiple occasions over the next few months and they were giving me all sorts of excuses and said they had changed settings and to try again, and another said they were working in the area but it would be back to normal in a month. I speed test every week and nothing has changed, stuck on 120. I have had a month refunded and a month half price but all this time they are still claiming they do not limit the download speeds which is obviously absolute rubbish.

As someone else has mentioned, when I do a speed test on my phone, and I'm also with three, I still hit the usual 500mbps, nothing has changed with my phone, just my broadband from November onwards.

At the time I googled and couldn't find any posts on this so thought it was just an issue in my area, but after a speed test earlier, stuck on my 120, I googled and found this. Now I know this is happening to others I am going to contact them again and keep up the fight!

For those that want to leave three, due to the speed decreases, who are stuck in contract, they agreed with me that I could leave with no charges due to the change in service. When you first sign up, you get 30days no quibble trial to see how it works and what speeds you get and you can send back if you not happy. So, if the speeds you are getting now, do not match the ones when you first got it, you can argue this and say you want to leave without a charge!

A further update to this - I made three send me out a brand new replacement router, so I could rule out that being an issue. I have a new router, new sim card, and nothing changed. exactly the same stuck at 120mbps. You can clearly see in the screenshot below of my speed tests, the moment they made the changes at their end on the 14/11/23, and from this point on my speed has been throttled to 120mbps. I have also added a screenshot of speed tests from Feb 2023, compared to speed tests from Feb 2024 and the differences are striking. My speed used to vary, as non throttled speeds should between 400mbps up to 900mbps depending on the time of day as you would expect. Now, my download speeds have no variation at all, 7pm on Saturday evening at peak times, 120mpbs, 3am on a Sunday at the quietest time, 120mbps.

I would like someone from Three to respond and admit that they are throttling speeds on the home broadband now.

Speed Tests showing the dramatic drop in speeds the day Three changed the settings on my account at their end, and from this day forward (14/11/23), I am now stuck on 120mbps.

Three Throttling.jpg

Speed Tests from Feb 2023 when my download speeds were not being limited and extremely impressive!

Screenshot_20240219_001054_Speedtest.jpg

Speed tests from Jan/Feb 24 showing download speeds limited to 120mbps, up to 6 times slower than they were 1 year ago!

Screenshot_20240219_001112_Speedtest.jpg

Does anyone have any comments of thoughts on this?
Thoughts? I'd kill for speeds like that currently on 36/10mbps FTTC here 6% price rise in april too

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Got any stats from your router, SnR, RSSI etc? What speeds are you seeing at the moment, do you know where the cell you are connecting to is?

ISP: Vodafone
Network Type: 4G+ LTE
Band: 1,7
SnR: 1.0dB
RSRP: -96dBm
RSRQ: -12dB
Signal Strength: 100%

10.55Mbps Download and 20.36Mbps Upload

No idea what cell tower I'm connected to, I couldn't work out how to find this out.

Soldato
No idea what cell tower I'm connected to, I couldn't work out how to find this out.

Use Cellmapper website, and look at the CellID's for your network that you are connected to.

The SNR isn't great, and the RSRP could be better, have you put you router in various locations to test for best signal in your property, when you know which masts you can connect to, them moving the router to give a better position will help.

EDIT: You'll also find that a modern mobile phone will likely give better speeds, as the radios in them won't be limited to Cat6 like your TP-Link is, a HQ one will be Cat18, and offer CA an MIMO.

Last edited:
Associate
Thoughts? I'd kill for speeds like that currently on 36/10mbps FTTC here 6% price rise in april too

I think he's posted a topic on ISP Review and came to the conclusion it's something to do with switching APN?

I'm quite interested in this also since my FTTC speed is 24/2 but I have a very clean line of sight to the phone mast 1.6km away.

3 say they don't do 5g broadband here, but outdoor coverage checker looks good, so I'm thinking I might get a sim to test it, but I certainly have 5g EE and it's at least 200mbit.

Only one thing I worry about is jitter on the ping since I play some fighting games (Street Fighter) which are sensitive to that (although netcode is a lot better these days).

Associate
This might be the handy post mentioned

Throttling Tests & Resolution with APN Change

Hi All – I spoke again to technical team on 21/02/24, who were useless like usual, who passed me through to the complaints team again as they said they could not work out why my connection was maxing out at 120mbps and why it had changed and were still adamant they don’t limit or throttle connections! I’m being more convinced now that the technicians truly believe the connections aren’t being throttled, but there is something going on higher up above them doing this, that they have no control over!
Anyway, after I had finished with the complaints team, I did a little more digging around and went into the router settings to check the APN Access Point Name) which there are many posts about and has been mentioned on here. The APN was set to automatic and was ‘3internet’. On reading up it seems ‘3internet’ is the standard one used for broadband. I changed to manual rather than automatic APN and used ‘three.co.uk’ instead, and then did a speed test and 584mbps!! After all this, for me all that was needed changing was the APN, and I should have checked this earlier as other posts suggested.
I tried the following APN’s and all of them worked without a download limit apart from the ‘3internet’ one which is clearly being throttled-
3internet – 120mbps
three.co.uk – 543mbps
3broadband.ie – 567mbps
3ireland.ie – 532mbps
open.internet – 578mbps
So frustrating that no one from the Technical know this or could have suggested changing the APN and even more frustrating that everyone from Three are still adamant there are no speed limits and they don’t throttle – it’s obvious they do, and even more so from the further testing I did below!
Before I realised that it was just the APN that needed changing, I said to the complaints team the only thing left is to cancel my current contract and start a new contact with a brand-new sim card to see if that fixes the issue, as it has done for others, to which they agreed. This is the only plus point I have out of this whole charade as I was going to be paying full price for the next 8 months and I now have a new contract, 6 months half price, and I also ordered via TopCashBack and have already had the £102 cashback confirmed, will be payable in a few months!
So, I ordered a new contract, and a brand-new router and sim card were delivered the day after, so I started testing! My current or old router as such is the Zyxel NR5103e, and the new router they sent me was the updated version of this Zyxel NR5103eV2. I will call them V1 and V2 moving forward.
So first off, I tried a speed test with the new router (V2) and new sim card, and on checking the APN was automatically set as ‘3internet’. Speed test was pretty normal with a very high upload speed 472dowload/110upload. I then put my old sim card into the V2 and ran the same test and the results were just as with the V1 – 119download/61.9upload!! I replicated these tests using my old router (V1) and had similar results with the speeds being unlimited on my new card, and limited to 120 download on the old card when accessing via the ‘3internet’ APN.. If this isn’t clear evidence that Three are throttling connections on certain accounts I don’t know what is?? Three has clearly throttled my old account when using the APN ‘3internet’ but my new card hasn’t been throttled, YET, so I can get varied and what appears to be unlimited speeds. When I use any of the other APN’s on either sim card the results are all similar with no throttling.
As an additional test, I put the broadband sims in my mobile, and changed the APN from three.co.uk, which is the standard for mobile devices to ‘3internet’ and the results were identical to above. Old sim card throttled to 120mbps, new sim card no limit!
I am collated all of the information and speed tests I have and will reporting this to Ofcom next week as Three are still advertising their 5G with no speeds limits, which clearly, for many people, is not true!
NR5103e VS NR5103eV2 Testing
Whilst I had the opportunity, I went deeper into testing the two routers to see which one I wanted to keep for my new contract. The new router is much smaller which is a plus point, it is also worryingly much lighter, does that speak for the quality of the components?
I placed each router in the exact same space on my windowsill where I get the best signal. It didn’t take long to notice that the NR5103e (V1) had a better and much more stable signal than the newer NR5103eV2 (V2). I will refer to them as V1 & V2 moving from now on.
The V1 would be at a constant 87-89 RSRP, 15 SINR, 2/3 RSRQ and it would always be on a continual 5G connection, rarely dropping to 4G.
In comparison the newer V2 was so temperamental with the signal. It would generally stick at around 93RSRP but occasionally dip to 88 at random, then up to 96 and moving around all over. SINR 13, RSRQ was worse at 11. But what was really noticeable was the constant jumping between 5G, 4G+ and 4G. There was rarely a moment when I was looking at the signal where it was on 5G constantly and would change every 30 seconds or so and would dance about between them all, which can’t be great for a reliable connection surely?
The speed tests were actually ok for both. The download speed was noticeably quicker on the V1 which regularly would hit 200mbps higher than the V2, this could simply be down to the fact the signal was more reliable. But to put in perspective, even the lowest download on the V2 was still 300mpbs. The highest on V2 was 575, highest on V1 was 860mbps! One thing where the V2 did sometimes shine though was the upload speed. At times the upload speed would be 90-110mbps on the V2 where as the V1 could only manage 75-85mbps. The V1 was a constant upload speed though with no dips, whereas the V2 dropped as low as 60 sometimes. All I can think of here is the V2 is better at handling uploads compared to the V1, so when it has a strong, constant signal, it will achieve a higher upload speed. Either way 60 being the lowest recorded upload speed, it still incredibly quick and more than enough!
Overall, either router would probably work fine for most people, although this depends on your signal and how close you are to the mast. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am very lucky, that although I don’t have clear line of sight to the mast and there are a couple of houses in the way, it’s almost irrelevant as I am approx. 50m away from it. For me, the extra 20mbps that I sometimes get on upload with the V2, is negligible in comparison to the constant reliable signal that the V1 gets, and the extra download speeds it regularly achieves over the V2 are more useful. There have been a number of posts backing up my findings on the V2 that the signal is all over the place and not reliable and drops out, and for that reason, I am sticking with the trusty V1 for my new 24-month contract.
I hope you find my post useful!
1 Like

fashric

fashric
Regular

Options

Friday - last edited Friday
My experience with changing the APN is exactly the same...
firefox_jvkJ31UXmC.png
Tests done 2 minutes apart, just using different APN! Absolutely disgusting from Three, I too will be getting in contact with Ofcom and the ASA (with whom I have had very good experiences with in the past). Three cannot be allowed to simply get away with this dishonesty and false advertising. This all done using the same equipment, so the ONLY explanation is that they are indeed using speed throttling on certain customers/sims/numbers despite specifically stating no speed limits. Scumbags.
1 Like

_duncan_

_duncan_
Fledgling

Options

Sunday
I'm having the same issues reported here, as well as a few others that don't seem to be mentioned anywhere but feel very related, and (almost all) started at the end of January.
1. Speeds are being capped at 120Mbps down and 60Mbps up. Similar to other commenters, I'm about 50m from the local mast and used to get substantially better speeds. The router hasn't changed, moved, had settings changed, or anything other than where noted.
Here's the download speeds shown from a daily speedtest from my monitoring over the past 6 months:
_duncan__1-1708887765870.png

And upload speeds:
_duncan__0-1708887740015.png

You can see a substantial drop-off at the end of Jan.
2. I got a new router from Three around the end of November (switched from a Huawei one to a Zyxel one), and connection speeds did drop a bit then from consistently around 900Mbps to nearer 6-700Mbps. On the graph above, that's what the vertical blue line indicates. It's running the latest firmware but I wonder if there is maybe some issue there that should be investigated.
3. Pings are failing. I used to be able to ping things like google.com and bbc.co.uk, but now pings just time out.
4. There's an IPv6 address now. My internal network is still all IPv4 so I'm not fully using it, but I've tried switching the router to IPv4 only, IPv6 only, etc, and not seen speed improvements.
5. Inbound connections are failing. I'm guessing CGNAT is in place now as mentioned by a few other posters on the forum, which makes sense with IPv6 there but is causing some minor problems for me.
6. VPN connections seem to have even more restricted upload speeds. I'm not 100% sure what I'm seeing, but it seems my work's VPN is being capped at 30Mbps uploads, and connections to Windscribe appear to be capped at about 10Kbps(!) upload with IKEv2 protocols which makes it almost unusable. If I try it using wireguard or Windscribe's "Stealth" profile the speeds increase to nearer 60Mbps.
I've tried contacting customer support about it but not got anywhere other than a suggestion to get a new sim card, which I've not had a chance to try yet. I did also try the APN thing but it refused to route traffic unless it was set to 3internet with IPv6 enabled.

Soldato
Interesting read thank you! I too have some perculiar issues with Smarty (Three UK) around VPN usage. I use "mob.asm.net" for Smarty, but I will try "three.co.uk" when I can and see if there is any difference. I am not seeing a problem with speeds using the APN from Smarty, however I do have as mentioned the VPN issue.

Here are my results.

Mobile Phone (VPN Disabled):
Mobile-VPN-Disabled.jpg

Mobile Phone (VPN Enabled*):
Mobile-VPN-Enabled.jpg

*Sorry was using an obfuscated server by mistake so download speeds took a big hit but normally would be fine - just have to take my word lol.

Desktop PC (VPN Disabled):
PC-VPN-Disabled.jpg

Desktop PC (VPN Enabled):
PC-VPN-Enabled.jpg

Why is the upload speed so badly restricted when using a VPN on Smarty / Three network?

Here I am on my work laptop now, using a different VPN provider, doing a single .msi file upload. Same result as home devices. Upload speed is being throttled.

Work-VPN.jpg

File-Upload.jpg

:mad:

Associate
Googling "three 5g broadband VPN issues" shows quite a few threads. Top suggestion so far is to check and disable ipv6.

Will check mine later and see if it improves.

Edit
@Journey what VPN do yo use?

My work vpn is global protect and its very slow. Not sure if its specific to certain vpn providers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you think a business sim could be causing a difference? Which APN is the default, three.co.uk?

Yes Three.co.uk and no idea about the contract making a difference to be honest. I've been using Watchguard SSL (terrible regardless of provider), Watchguard IKEv2, much better, and I also have access to something called Privado and that seems to work just fine.

Associate
Tried disabling ipv6 and changing APN to three.co.uk
Still the same. I cannot even do speedtest in my work laptop / VPN. They must have some weird setting that prevents it.
ThinkBroadband speed test works and I can only get 20mbps down 1mbps up.
Without VPN it can get to 200mbps down 20mbps up

Soldato
Well scratch that, three.co.uk APN is better (but only on my phone) but oddly tried from my home PC and the upload is still broken (no difference between mob.asm.net or three.co.uk). How can one device be different to another using the same 5G gateway and VPN provider. Quite frustrating this! So here is from my home PC with VPN active using three.co.uk APN:

VPN.jpg

And here is my work laptop using a different VPN provider:
Work-VPN.jpg

Thankfully I'm with Smarty so it is a rolling 1 month contract, easy to leave. Might try another provider. :(

Back
Top Bottom