*** The Official AirPods {all gens} (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) thread ***

Initial impressions is that they're an improvement on the gen 1's, noticeable but not a massive difference. NC seems better though.

I only really got them for the Find My ability on the case as well as my mrs wanting my get 1's.

I need a bit more time with them though.

If I have an iPad, iPhone and MBP is it easy to switch the AirPods Pro Gen 2 between them?

Drives me up the wall that I have to manually disconnect my Sony WH-1000XM3s every time.

You can set it up in the settings so that it auto changes, I’m sure it’s by default but I turned it off.

So if you have the pods in and you’re listening on your iPhone then you start watching something on your iPad it’ll instantly swap over likewise a video/music on the MB

Last edited:
Wanting some new ANC headphones, currently have the Gen1 galaxy buds that don’t have it. Torn between Pro 2s or going over ear and getting the Sony XM4 - can get either for the same price so anyone got advice?

I’d expect over ears to sound better generally and probably better ANC, but at the cost of practicality and size.

Last edited:
You can set it up in the settings so that it auto changes, I’m sure it’s by default but I turned it off.

So if you have the pods in and you’re listening on your iPhone then you start watching something on your iPad it’ll instantly swap over likewise a video/music on the MB

Thanks :) I'll probably turn it off then because if they disconnect during a work conference call it won't be good.

I ordered a pair from Costco earlier.

Wanting some new ANC headphones, currently have the Gen1 galaxy buds that don’t have it. Torn between Pro 2s or going over ear and getting the Sony XM4 - can get either for the same price so anyone got advice?

I’d expect over ears to sound better generally and probably better ANC, but at the cost of practicality and size.
I have a pair of XM2 over ears and I’m going to pick up a pair of AirPods Pro 2.

The over ears will certainly sound better but having lived with mine for years, they have never stopped being big and cumbersome.

Earphones are just so much more convenient and flexible, so much so I think worth the slight degrade in quality. Unless you were A-B testing them you probably wouldn’t even notice.

Once the alternative sounds more than good enough which they do, the drawbacks of the over ear form factor is hard to get past.

The pros didn’t exist when I bought my over ears and I wouldn’t have bought the over ears if they did.

Last edited:
I have a pair of XM2 over ears and I’m going to pick up a pair of AirPods Pro 2.

The over ears will certainly sound better but having lived with mine for years, they have never stopped being big and cumbersome.

Earphones are just so much more convenient and flexible, so much so I think worth the slight degrade in quality. Unless you were A-B testing them you probably wouldn’t even notice.

Once the alternative sounds more than good enough which they do, the drawbacks of the over ear form factor is hard to get past.

The pros didn’t exist when I bought my over ears and I wouldn’t have bought the over ears if they did.
Yeah I’m leaning more into the practicality being a larger benefit than sound stage. Used my other half’s 1st gen Pros and they sound good enough for what I want, so this second gen with supposedly improved everything is probably the smart buy

Just got my Gen 2’s set up-good seal and away we go.

Can definitely notice the increase in the bass and like Chris said, a noticeable improvement with the ANC.

Very very nice indeed.

Had a few more hours with them, outside on a dog walk and now listening to Apple Music on my Mac with some gin.

I think it's fair to say they're a good deal better than the v1's, especially the bass.

Caved and ordered a pair of Pro 2’s Thursday night, turned up this morning so thought I’d give them a go at the gym.

Fit was my main concern, I have weird ears and find it really difficult to get a good fit from ear buds. The best fit I’ve had to date are the original Galaxy Buds, but their sound quality doesn’t cut it. I’ve been using the Beat Fit Pros and even they don’t fit well, I’ve currently got some comply foam tips that I cut down to get to fit and they’re better but not that comfortable. Fit on the APP2’s is strange, they seem to fit secure bit don’t feel like it. For the most part they’re actually ok, better than I expected but after a while they started to get a little loose and needed adjusting to get them to seal properly. With comply tips or similar I think they’ll be as good or better than the Beats, the advantage of Apple stuff is that there’s always loads of 3rd party accessories so I should have more options than the beats.

Sound quality is definitely a step above the beats. I’ve not tried the original AirPods Pro, so I can’t comment on them but definitely tighter bass and a cleaner sound than the beats. Bit of distortion at very high volumes but that’s to be expected I guess.

ANC is comparatively as good as the Beats, maybe a bit better. I think the passive noise blocking from the Beats makes up for slightly weaker ANC. Haven’t tried them outside yet, supposedly the APP2 are better for wind noise. Transparency mode is excellent, better than the Beats, feels very natural.

I’ve always hated (and still do) the look of AirPods. Both the stalks and the fact they’re white. The fact that almost everyone else seems to walk around wit AirPods in these days makes me feel less like a plonker wearing them but I still don’t like them. Stalk controls worked surprisingly well actually, volume controls is a little fiddly but better than no volume control.

50:50 if I’m keeping them, will keep using them over the next few days and make a decision. The smaller case and wireless charging is definitely a plus for me. The only other buds that I think would fit better are the Bose QC II with the rubber winglets similar to my old galaxy buds. But lack of wireless charging puts me off, for me it’s so much more convenient.

Just updated my Airpods Pro 1st gen to second gen, not had much of a try yet. But the ANC is much better, I put them on in a cafe and couldn't quite believe how good they were. Sound appears to be slightly better, but time will tell.

Been playing some more today going in between the Beats Fit Pro and AirPods Pro - the AirPods Pro 2 definitely have a much nicer sound. Also picked up some ridiculously priced ALZA Crystal earths which I think fix my fit issues for me.

what is the warranty for these at Costco? I was planning to get them here…but if it’s 1 year I may as well go to John Lewis. I can’t seem to find any info, but that’s probably me being an idiot. Just on the phone and im on hold after asking that question.

Edit: just been told it’s 2 years - though she didn’t seem confident.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom