*** The Official AirPods {all gens} (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) thread ***

Are they that much better?
Yes. I had to upgrade as my gen 1 pair went through the wash. My experience:

- Noise cancellation is way better
- Sound quality I think is slightly better overall doing a side by side with my wife’s pair of gen 1.
- The microphones are better for calls in terms of reducing background noise.
- Being able to adjust volume using the touch panels on them I find helpful when out and about.

I currently have the Powerbeats Pro. Used 99% for weight training in the gym. I solely listen to techno, house and other electronic music via Apple Podcast / BBC Sounds. Perfectly happy with them barring: the occasional left/right disconnect which requires several resets and also the lack of ANC.

I've tried the Beats Fit Pro and find they don't have the same energy and bass signature despite trying to force myself on them regardless as an upgrade. Are the Airpods even more anemonic and balanced than the Beats Fit Pro? I tried the Sony XF4 and they werent as impressive as I had hoped - plus lacked the Apple intergration I took for granted. XF5 appears to be on the horizon also.

Bonus question: I've always found the max volume just a notch too low. I've done plenty of reading on the matter and am painfully aware of the EU ear protection laws which Apple enforce. Is there any known workarounds to boost volume a little? In my old Sansa Clip and wired Sennheiser IE80 setup I could disabled the EU volume limiter and also used to use MP3Gain to adjust gain on the MP3 files.

Last edited:
it’s a market place so you are not buying from OnBuy, you are buying from some random seller.

Are you sure they are not old stock gen 1’s for that price?

Fair enough, that said, I’d be surprised if there was £50 margin in them for the likes of Amazon, John Lewis etc buying wholesale so I’d be dubious.

If they are legit, they are probably a grey import or something with no tax paid.

Having issues trying to charge my AirPods case wirelessly.

Tried a few different pads, MagSafe chargers and watch pucks. Nothing.

Im assuming the case is snookered as they only came out in September.

I've been using AirPods Gen 3 for about six months now and I love them to pieces. They don't fall out when running as I was expecting them to.

But I am getting really annoyed on my walks when I can hear traffic sounds drowning out my music (and the fantastic Time to Walk episodes on Apple Fitness+) and I'm very tempted to snag some AirPods Pro 2. I have never experienced noise cancellation on audio devices before, so I don't quite know what to expect there.

But I have seen on the macrumours.com site that Apple have got a new version in the works (seen in the code for iOS 16.4). Is it worth waiting to see what is revealed or will it just be a minor thing like the case change from Lightning to USB-C. I am not particularly bothered about that as I will probably use my Apple Watch charger to charge them up instead.

Last edited:
Pro 2s have not long been out, I'd be amazed if there is a new version anytime soon.

I eventually caved and bought some Pro 2s (upgrading from 1s) when out in Singapore, as they're a tad cheaper.

There is a difference. Engine roar was much more muted on take off, and while cruising too. Battery is better too, and I think the sound is a bit better, but not night and day for me.

So they are ordered and come with 6 months Apple Music. I already activated a similar Apple Music offer 6 months ago when I bought AirPods 3. That period ends next week. Does anyone know if I cancel the music trial before it rebills, will I get another 6 months free when I connect the AirPods Pro 2?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom