*** The Official Apple September 9th 2024 @ 18:00 "It's Glowtime" event thread ***

I honestly feel we have seen a major shift in the last year or maybe longer or so where the desire to upgrade will be driven by the condition of your current devices rather than the new iteration being launched. I have a 14 Pro Max and was really keen to upgrade and really I was looking for something to be introduced that I'd really want so that I would have a good excuse.....By this morning I was quite happy to keep m current phone for another year. I was the same with the ipads earlier in the year too.

I honestly feel we have seen a major shift in the last year or maybe longer or so where the desire to upgrade will be driven by the condition of your current devices rather than the new iteration being launched. I have a 14 Pro Max and was really keen to upgrade and really I was looking for something to be introduced that I'd really want so that I would have a good excuse.....By this morning I was quite happy to keep m current phone for another year. I was the same with the ipads earlier in the year too.
I was on the fence with the m4 ipad vs the 2018 but got one anyway, I probably shouldn't have and this experience has taught me to not jump on the phones and I wont be.

Very disappointed that the SE isn't here, that's what I really want. Back to basics but with all the new modern goodies inside, I don't think it'll happen any time soon sadly.

I've felt this way for years.

I'd also rather buy a second-hand iPhone in pristine condition with 100% battery than pay the asking price for these latest phones. It really is crazy how comfortable people have become with spending so much money on a phone that they use 99% of the time to browse social media and take a few pictures.

The vast majority of the "latest" features are never touched outside of the honeymoon period with a new device.

I'm curious if Apple Intelligence is going to cost a monthly fee at some point? I currently pay for ChatGPT which is around £20 a month and is worth it but if Apple Intelligence is free and works reasonably well that is going to be a big saving.

What are you doing on ChatGPT that it's worth 20 notes monthly? :eek:
Mainly research when it comes to programming and tech stuff. Being able to ask questions and then narrow it down to the exact thing I want is well worth it. I also use it as a Google replacement as well.

Furthermore I also have Github Copilot which is integrated with the Jetbrains IDEs which I also use.

Mainly research when it comes to programming and tech stuff. Being able to ask questions and then narrow it down to the exact thing I want is well worth it. I also use it as a Google replacement as well.

I can't imagine Apple Intelligence being anywhere near as good as ChatGPT for this stuff, but I hope they prove me wrong.

They are focusing on English language countries first. Other languages are next year.
Apparently it’s due to regulatory uncertainties rather than language issues. English is an official language in Ireland and they aren’t getting it either. I suspect what they do get eventually will be cut down in some way.

I was on the fence with the m4 ipad vs the 2018 but got one anyway, I probably shouldn't have and this experience has taught me to not jump on the phones and I wont be.

Very disappointed that the SE isn't here, that's what I really want. Back to basics but with all the new modern goodies inside, I don't think it'll happen any time soon sadly.
IIRC the SE usually gets wheeled out at a different event from the main iPhone one - maybe around Spring? Normally around the same time that a new “exclusive” colour of iPhone is churned out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom