***The Official Asus Eee PC Thread***

Soldato
mother of all long posts :eek:

Very nice little guide that - cheers. Managed to free up 1.58GB on my C: drive now :)

Should be under utilities on Asus website, Winflash should bring up lots in Google....but I think You might want Asus update

The Best place for anything eeepc are the eeepc forums
http://forum.eeeuser.com/

I managed to find and install Winflash but now I get the following message when I try and run it...

"Fail to open ACPI ATK0100 kernal mode driver. Please install the driver first."

I will take a look and see if I can find anything on the eeeuser form - cheers ;)

Soldato
Just to add to that guide, if You have used hibernation there will be a hidden file in the root of C: called hiberfil.sys or similar, delete it and set power management to use S3 standby only

( I have never found turning off hibernation to delete it Your experience may be different)

Soldato
Also I have a problem with my eee, the battery is rapidly loosing its capacity, it will only charge up to 69% of its origional capacity and its getting worse, only had the laptop 2 weeks.
How can the battery degrade so fast?

I had a problem with my EeePC 900 battery only lasting half an hour or so. Found out on the Asus website that there is a known problem with battery life on some models but a BIOS update is out to fix the problem.

I flashed the BIOS today at work and I plan on using it tonight on battery power to see if there is any improvement - I will report back later.

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Bought a 1000 (40GB SSD, 10", 1GB RAM) off a friend at work yesterday (only a few months old) and love it. It came with Linux but have put Windows XP on it. I've put most the apps and bits on that I have on my desktop and it runs great. Reducing all unnecessary services means it only has 19 processes running after boot into desktop :D

Updated to latest bios just now, although the battery seems v.good so far any way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

Bought a 1000 (40GB SSD, 10", 1GB RAM) off a friend at work yesterday (only a few months old) and love it. It came with Linux but have put Windows XP on it. I've put most the apps and bits on that I have on my desktop and it runs great. Reducing all unnecessary services means it only has 19 processes running after boot into desktop :D

Updated to latest bios just now, although the battery seems v.good so far any way.

What battery life are you getting?

Soldato
I'm after a replacement for my XPS1530 as I'm giving it away.

So far I'm torn between the Sammy NC10 and an PC901. I'd rather have an SSD and 9" screen over a hard disk and a 10" screen. I'm really not sure what to go for though as I only require the device for Irc and web browsing use for the most part.

How easy and costly is it to upgrade the ram on these buggers? Does anyone have any good 901 dissection guides/sites?

Associate
well I'm a noob to the eeepc (but not to laptops) I've just got hold of a second hand Linux 900 with 16gb ssd ,1gb ram and 8gb sdhc, but I've already ordered a Runcore 32gb SSD to replace that with and 2gb ram to replace the 1gb stick..
I suspect its obvious from that that that I'm going to install XP....

My only question at the moment is wheres the cheapest place for the extended life batterys ????..

also any other 900 tips welcome..

thanks

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

@munch900

I think you'll have trouble with your new SSD (did you get an SLC one anyway?) - you'll be the first if you even manage to get the 900 to boot with a larger SSD.

Associate
Why is their some issues with the 900 and these runcore drives ?

I've not heard 1 bad review on them so if you know any different please do share ? :)

Also their MLC cards but rather fast ones at that.

@munch900

I think you'll have trouble with your new SSD (did you get an SLC one anyway?) - you'll be the first if you even manage to get the 900 to boot with a larger SSD.

Soldato
I've just got a 701 4G with 1gb of ram, running Windows XP.

Is it worth me upgrading from 1gb to 2gb? I'll mostly be surfing and emailing, and only occasionally have more than 2 applications open at once, but if an extra gig will make it any faster at all, it'll be worth it, even though it's currently pretty nippy anyway.

It's probably been answered before, but I've searched this thread and can't find a definitive answer!

Soldato
I didnt see the point with 2GB, so put the 2GB stick in the wifes poor laptop that had 1GB and Vista :)

I dont think XP really needs anymore than 1GB for basic surfing and stuff, check the memory usage in Task Manager it probably isnt over 256MB used on a bog standard install and much less if Nlite'd

Back
Top Bottom