***The Official Asus Eee PC Thread***

Soldato
I picked up a 1000H yesterday and have been loving it ever since. I actually intended to purchase the 901, but when I tested them both side by side it was clear that the 1000H would be better for me.

The 901's size makes it trully portable, but the keyboard was just too small for my hands. The 1000's keyboard is much more suited to adult/European hands.

The 901's primary 4GB SSD hdd is quicker than the traditional 80GB drive in the 1000H, but it is not significantly quick enough to offset the puny capacity (4+8GB or 4+16GB). The secondary SSD in the 901 is supposedly very slow. Booting XP side by side I counted 6 seconds difference in favour of the 901.

The extra one-and-a-bit inches of screen on the 1000H will only make a difference to people who have poorer vision. The resolutions are the same and both screens produced almost identical quality to my eyes.

Battery life is great on both but the 901 will edge it by 10% or so due to the smaller screen and SSD hdd.

The pricing favours the 901 by around £50, but for the extra money you get a usable sized keyboard, decent hard disk capacity, and the bigger screen. I think the 1000H is worth it.

What surprises me most is that my netbook can actually play 720p video encoded at 2-3Mbits without stutter. I know I could have bougt a more powerful (and much larger) core2duo notebook for the same price, but this does exactly what I need. I can surf the net, read my mail and watch video when travelling.

Soldato
There's a custom version called Ubuntu eee (http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/) it comes with all the hardware working straight after installation and use the netbook remix interface which is very nice indeed, definitely reccommend that all eee users give it a try.

Have you got it up and running? I want to make sure it'll work ok before I give it a try, as I'm on holiday at the moment and won't be able to reset it to XP if it doesn't for a couple of weeks!

Soldato
I finally got the 8800mAh battery for my 901 from on the bay shipped from HK

394654554_vMxR7-L.jpg

394654559_FkUW4-L.jpg

Feels quite the same as the standard battery to hold next to eachother, but does add a slight bit more weight to the overall 901 once it is inserted. I still call it light though!

394654567_MNzjh-L.jpg

Standard 6600mAh 901 battery

394654570_kEe7Y-L.jpg

8800mAh 901 battery

Quite surprising there is hardly any difference by how it sticks out at the back, no where near as bad as I was expecting.

394881391_RvGkA-X2.png

Heres the good stuff after a full charge. This was with wifi on and backlight half way up and on auto power saving. The expected time dropped slightly to 8hrs 55mins and stayed steady when I started doing some casual browsing.

Quite pleased and impressed!

Last edited:
Associate
I got used to the keyboard after about half an hour; found it really easy! I find that the screen is too small to word process on for more than half an hour or so, it's a little cluttered. Great for browsing the web though :)

Let me know how putting Ubuntu on it goes. Last I heard there were a few issues with the wireless drivers, which is why I haven't done it yet; if these issues have been fixed then I'm in there!

Ubuntu went fine! I recommend Ubuntu Intrepid, Install the beta on it. Intrepid is best as it has a much newer kernel with many EEE PC drivers and fixes. Wireless works great.

Use this to install Ubuntu - http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
(First download the intrepid iso and then feed it the iso as it defaults to hardy)

Also I have a problem with my eee, the battery is rapidly loosing its capacity, it will only charge up to 69% of its origional capacity and its getting worse, only had the laptop 2 weeks.
How can the battery degrade so fast?

Soldato
Also I have a problem with my eee, the battery is rapidly loosing its capacity, it will only charge up to 69% of its origional capacity and its getting worse, only had the laptop 2 weeks.
How can the battery degrade so fast?

What model Eee PC do you have?

If its an offical Asus battery i'm sure you could prob get the battery replaced

Soldato
Mum got a free eee701 from the school she teaches at(as did all the other teachers and pupils.. this is a run of the mill comprehensive school.. wtf) and it would seem that they were all riddled with problems, with the school IT department recalling everyones, and all these weeks later they still havnt had them back.
The only problem I ran into on my mums was it wouldnt allow me to enter the pw for wpa, it was asking for the passkey&number that it would for WEP.
No doubt half the kids parents' would have gone and sold the eees for drugs or soemthing anyway.

Soldato
Hi guys.

Can someone help me out with a couple of things? I'd like some info about the Asus Eee 901 20gb Linux, before it arrives :)

1. Is it still possible to wipe Linux and install XP? If so, would you reccomend a complete format, or perhaps dual booting with XP as the preferred OS? I'm guessing given the performance and storage restrictions, it'd be best just to wipe. I've nLited my XP install so it should be nice and zoomy.

2. Has anyone used the 901 for either Word Processing, Excel or Publiser? (Publisher isn't hugely important, but Excel and Word are a must)? How do you find it? A regular laptop isn't really an option as they're too large for what i'm after.

3. Can someone do me a really stupid favour and take a picture of your hands on the keyboard? :) i just want an idea of what sort of size i'm lookign at ;)

Many thanks ;)

Soldato
Hi guys.

Can someone help me out with a couple of things? I'd like some info about the Asus Eee 901 20gb Linux, before it arrives :)

1. Is it still possible to wipe Linux and install XP? If so, would you reccomend a complete format, or perhaps dual booting with XP as the preferred OS? I'm guessing given the performance and storage restrictions, it'd be best just to wipe. I've nLited my XP install so it should be nice and zoomy.

2. Has anyone used the 901 for either Word Processing, Excel or Publiser? (Publisher isn't hugely important, but Excel and Word are a must)? How do you find it? A regular laptop isn't really an option as they're too large for what i'm after.

3. Can someone do me a really stupid favour and take a picture of your hands on the keyboard? :) i just want an idea of what sort of size i'm lookign at ;)

Many thanks ;)

Think you need to have one OS or the other......even a nLite'd XP can seriously eat into the 4GB Primary SSD (by the time other apps etc. have chucked odds and sods into Windows folder and so on......)

I have Office 2007 on my 20GB 901......installed to D drive, natch, and seems fine to me......Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and even Access seem fine. Publisher is installed, but rarely use it on my desktop either :rolleyes:

Soldato
I've looked through the thread but couldn't find anything on whether the resolution can be increased on the 1000 model beyond 1024x600 without having to scroll around the screen. I did have a search around but couldn't find very much information.

Would also be interested in some print screens with applications running to give an idea of how much can actually be fit on the screen, if anyone doesn't mind? Perhaps Firefox, Word 2007, Dreamweaver... :)

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Time to sort out my EEE

Riteo,

1 - Got my 900 eeepc when they first came out with XP installed, but the left mouse button intermittantly doesnt work (well, it doesnt work work more often than it does!) is this a known fault, and any idea what I need to do to get it sorted

2 - whats the most amount of RAM I can install

3 - whats the biggest capacity battery I can get, as I only get about 30 minutes when using it with the wireless on !

4 - are there any other upgrades people would consider?

Associate
If your only getting 30mins with wireless turned on then i'd contact Asus as your battery is really bad and get a new one or ask for a refund.

Mine will last about 90mins with wifi on and streaming radio with full brightness and volume on max. Mind you that was a while back I'll do a proper test tonight to see if its got any worse.

I normally use my 10400 battery that I got from the bay it was around £37 delivered and it lasts for about 5 hours.

You can get 2gb of ram in them, as for other upgrades ! maybe a 16GB SDHC card or bigger if you need it ?

Soldato
I've looked through the thread but couldn't find anything on whether the resolution can be increased on the 1000 model beyond 1024x600 without having to scroll around the screen. I did have a search around but couldn't find very much information.

Would also be interested in some print screens with applications running to give an idea of how much can actually be fit on the screen, if anyone doesn't mind? Perhaps Firefox, Word 2007, Dreamweaver... :)

Thanks in advance :)

Resolution is 1024x600 max. actual - meaning with 1024x768 you will need to scroll the screen

Soldato
Sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the thread.

I have an Asus EeePC netbook and the screen resolution is 1024x600. I have a fully licensed version of XP Pro, but due to the small HDD size (3.5GB) I'm using a cut down version - Windows XP lite, if you will!

Anyway, everytime I reboot the thing the resolution resets back to 800x600 and I have to manually change it back to 1024x600 in the display settings.... any idea how I can fix this???

Soldato
Sorry if this has already been answered earlier in the thread.

I have an Asus EeePC netbook and the screen resolution is 1024x600. I have a fully licensed version of XP Pro, but due to the small HDD size (3.5GB) I'm using a cut down version - Windows XP lite, if you will!

Anyway, everytime I reboot the thing the resolution resets back to 800x600 and I have to manually change it back to 1024x600 in the display settings.... any idea how I can fix this???

try a new GFX driver, Waste of time chopping XP down with nLite except for the obvious almost everything else you prune looses some unexpected functionality

Slipstreem hotfixes and integrate drivers etc and XP and office should be well under 3gig, if you need other crap put it on the other ssd or a SDHC

Soldato
Problem was that when I put the full copy of XP on then it wouldn't let me download and install service pack 3 as there wasn't enough space to unpack it - that was with page file disabled too!!!

Soldato
Problem was that when I put the full copy of XP on then it wouldn't let me download and install service pack 3 as there wasn't enough space to unpack it - that was with page file disabled too!!!

Oh dear...do You not realize You should not run a page file with SSD's

Do a bit of reading on Slipstreeming and start again ;)

Something is very wrong there You should have had loads of space !

Soldato
Great info out there (Google is your friend !) on slimming down your C drive.....nLite is a great start point for slipstreaming in SP3 and other bits and bobs.....but I also don't like to actually remove much from the install

See this below - credit to Jasked on Eeeuser forums :

This question seems to get asked again and again, so here is a thorough list of actions you can take to clean up your C: drive.

Let me know if there are any mistakes, oversights or anything that could be added. I attempted to only list procedures that produce substantial gains in free space.

If you’re using a 901 that came with XP some of these will have already been done for you.

*As an alternative to deleting any of these folders you can move them to another location and create a junction point to them instead. Read "A few other tips" below for an explanation of how to do this. This would be particularly useful in case of the C:\windows\installer folder.

1. Go to add/remove programs in the control panel and remove anything you don’t want. Also click on add/remove windows components and remove anything you don’t want.

2. Turn off the paging file. Right click on my computer in the start menu, click properties, click the advanced tab, click settings under performance, click the advanced tab, click change under virtual memory, click no paging file and click set.

3. Turn off system restore. Right click on my computer in the start menu, click properties and click the system restore tab.

4. Turn off hibernation (if it's not already off). Control panel->Power Options->hibernate tab

5. Delete anything in your profile temp directory (note that it's a hidden folder) and your windows temp directory. If you get an error deleting certain files just skip them.
C:\Documents and Settings\[profile name]\Local Settings\Temp
C:\WINDOWS\Temp

6. Delete anything in the ServicePackFiles folder. These will only exist if you installed a service pack after installing windows. This will prevent you from uninstalling the service pack.
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles

7. Run CCleaner. This is a free utility that will help clean up various temp/log/cache files, but not anything previously mentioned in this post. In CCleaner under advanced you can set it to remove any hotfix uninstallers, which I recommend.
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds … ading-slim

8. You should probably have enough space now, but if you would like more then I suggest cleaning out the dll cache folder.
Type the following at a command line window:
“sfc /purgecache”
If you’re not sure how to open a command line window--start menu->run->type “cmd” and click ok
If you want to understand what clearing the dll cache actually does then read the following first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_file_protection
~150 MB
Note: rjstep3 has suggested moving the dllcache folder and changing a registry setting so that Windows knows where to find it. If this solution appeals to you more, you can find his instructions here: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=40305

9. Delete all files used for windows updates. I suggest running Microsoft update first to make sure everything is updated (http://update.microsoft.com). After deleting these folders, if you run Microsoft Update manually it will re-download any deleted files needed to perform the updates (so this is safe).
-In the control panel under automatic updates turn off automatic updates.
-Stop the automatic update service—right click on my computer in the start menu and click manage, click services and application, click services, on the right pane right click on automatic updates and click stop.
-Delete the following two folders including all contents:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

10. This is only recommended as a last resort. Delete all files in Windows’s driver cache folder. If you delete it you'll have to provide the driver for anything new (there will be no "windows drivers" to search through).
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386
~80 MB

11. Again, only recommended as a last resort. Uninstaller files can take up a lot of space—613MB on my 901 as I type this. You can completely delete the folder containing the uninstaller information, but you will obviously not be able to automatically uninstall anything after doing this. However, one trick to automatically uninstalling a program after removing the uninstall data is to just install it again over top and then uninstall it.
To remove the uninstaller info delete all files in the following folder:
C:\Windows\Installer
Alternatively, there is a Microsoft program that will allow you to selectively remove uninstallers. Unfortunately it doesn’t show you how much space each uninstaller takes up, but you can go to the installer directory, sort it by size, right click on the largest files and click properties, and by examining the properties tab you can usually figure out what the uninstaller is for (maybe there’s an easier way of doing that that I’m not aware of).
Here is the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, which will delete the uninstaller files for a specific uninstall:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … -us;290301
~500 MB

A few other tips:

Instead of deleting any of these folders you could move them to your D: drive and use create a junction point that points to the new location.
For example, if you wanted to move the C:\windows\installer directory to D:\installer you would just need to do this:
-First you need a utility that will create junction points. I'll use Sysinternals "Junction" for this example, which you can get here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi … 96768.aspx
Unzip it and drop the junction.exe file into your C:\windows folder (if you're getting "not recognized as an internal or external command" errors when you try to run junction.exe then make sure you've put junction.exe into this folder).
-Copy the C:\windows\installer folder to D:\Installer
-Rename C:\windows\installer to c:\windows\installer-old
-At a command line type "junction c:\windows\installer d:\installer"
-Now double check that going into c:\windows\installer shows all your installer files
-If it looks good then you can delete the c:\windows\installer-old folder
*Note that if you want to delete the junction you have to use the junction command (junction -d c:\windows\installer). If you delete C:\windows\installer without removing the junction first you'll delete all the contents.

If you're using Internet Explorer you should set the disk cache to something reasonable like 50 megs, as the default is very large. Tools->Internet Options->Browsing History Settings

If your My Documents folder is expected to get large, or already is, you may want to move your My Documents folder to the D: drive. If so, here’s how.
Right click on My Documents in the start menu, click properties, click on Find Target to find your new folder location and then click Move.

If you want to move any of your other special folders such as the desktop folder to another drive you can do this easily using tweakui, which is a free utility from Microsoft.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ … ySetup.exe
In TweakUI it's under My Computer->Special Fodlers

There’s a program called SpaceMonger which graphically shows how much space different files and folders are taking up. It’s probably not very useful for a fresh install, but could be useful later on. It’s free to use for 30 days.
http://www.sixty-five.cc/download/

Persoally, I found that really useful info - select and use the bits you want ;)

Soldato
Oh dear...do You not realize You should not run a page file with SSD's

Do a bit of reading on Slipstreeming and start again ;)

Something is very wrong there You should have had loads of space !

Yes I do realise that it's best not to run a page file with an SSD. That's why I have it disabled!

I'm quite happy with my setup and don't want to go through installing fresh all over again, but thanks for the tip anyway.

I managed to fix the display problem by reinstalling the asus gfx driver from the website. While I was there though I found a fix for another problem with short battery life which I am getting - requires me to flash bios using WinFlash. I have managed to download the newer BIOS but I can't find WinFlash anywhere... it's not on the website and it's not on the resource CD which came with the system!!!

Any ideas where I can find it? (and yes I have googled it)

Soldato
Yes I do realise that it's best not to run a page file with an SSD. That's why I have it disabled!

I'm quite happy with my setup and don't want to go through installing fresh all over again, but thanks for the tip anyway.

I managed to fix the display problem by reinstalling the asus gfx driver from the website. While I was there though I found a fix for another problem with short battery life which I am getting - requires me to flash bios using WinFlash. I have managed to download the newer BIOS but I can't find WinFlash anywhere... it's not on the website and it's not on the resource CD which came with the system!!!

Any ideas where I can find it? (and yes I have googled it)

Should be under utilities on Asus website, Winflash should bring up lots in Google....but I think You might want Asus update

The Best place for anything eeepc are the eeepc forums
http://forum.eeeuser.com/

Back
Top Bottom