*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Soldato
It did indeed get rid of it when I dropped to 80 Hz, I say did as the panel is gone. I would have been fine with switching normally as it switched fairly quickly. But a secondary issue of this is my HDMI on the GPU is also connected to my AV receiver for surround sound. For this to work it creates a secondary Phantom monitor.

Issue with this is each time I flipped the refresh rate on the panel, it made the AV receiver the master monitor and moved all my, icons and what not to the phantom screen, basically a non-existent location until I restarted my machine.

Soldato
Hmm, not good to hear. I've just built a new water cooled rig and maximum silence was and is top of my list. Coil wine would drive me mad and there's no way I'd put up with that.

Soldato
Yeah was doing my head in, part from the noise, part knowing its thier. Having said that seeing loads of other users feedback on various forums suggest I was in the minoirty with the issue which I why don't mind taking a chance of getting a new panel. We shall see I guess.

Associate
It did indeed get rid of it when I dropped to 80 Hz, I say did as the panel is gone. I would have been fine with switching normally as it switched fairly quickly. But a secondary issue of this is my HDMI on the GPU is also connected to my AV receiver for surround sound. For this to work it creates a secondary Phantom monitor.

Issue with this is each time I flipped the refresh rate on the panel, it made the AV receiver the master monitor and moved all my, icons and what not to the phantom screen, basically a non-existent location until I restarted my machine.

Why would you be switching. Just set monitor to 100Hz, desktop resolution to 80Hz and in games select 3440x1440 100Hz. It never re-arranges desktop icons and never needs changing again. Anyway, hope your replacement is spot on

Soldato
Why would you be switching. Just set monitor to 100Hz, desktop resolution to 80Hz and in games select 3440x1440 100Hz. It never re-arranges desktop icons and never needs changing again. Anyway, hope your replacement is spot on

Every time I set desktop resolution to anything other then the rate the moniter was running at I got an out of range error upon launching a game so just stuck to keeping both matched. Indeed hope so to.

Associate
Oh thats strange. x34 don't seem to do that and I owned a few. It's a pitty you returned it I would really like to investigate what was causing that error.

Soldato
I expect I will be able to recreate the problem as its most likely to do with the Phantom moniter / HDMI output if past issues are to go by rather then the monitor itself. Will see when I get the panel back.

Soldato
I've ruled this out for now, after much deliberation. It'll take more than a single 980ti to drive this res at the frames I want (70+) and SLI support is dying out. I'll wait to see how the new top end cards shape up, but in the meantime it's looking quite positive from a quality point of view as I haven't read much negative in this thread.

Soldato
I've ruled this out for now, after much deliberation. It'll take more than a single 980ti to drive this res at the frames I want (70+) and SLI support is dying out. I'll wait to see how the new top end cards shape up, but in the meantime it's looking quite positive from a quality point of view as I haven't read much negative in this thread.

1 980ti is enough to run this res fine, you'll just have to tweak some settings if your wanting over 70 fps constantly depending on the game.

I.e Division everything on ultra I get between 50 and 60 fps, tweaking settings it's now running between 85 and 100 and in game it doesn't look that much different from everything being on ultra.

Associate
Just had my screen today and I am blown away by the quality of the display in games, with Rise of Tomb Raider looking even better to Witcher 3 looking amazing with sun light effects. The screen is huge........and the pictures I saw on-line before hand do not do it justice.

But I have one issue:

HGAlVgL.jpg

(This picture was taken when using steam, but also appeared in youtube videos)

This was taken when my monitor was set to 100Hz and you see some odd vertical lines, but if I reduce the screen to 95Hz then its ok. I have lowered the anti-aliasing in Dirt Rally as a test so that the fps would increase to 100, but I did not see the same issue as I did in that picture. While playing Rise of Tomb Raider and Witcher 3, I could not replicate the same problem as seen in the picture.. I have also noticed those vertical lines on some youtube videos as well.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Man of Honour
what graphics card are you using? i found it quite fussy with different graphics cards

NVIDIA GTX750 - worked fine at all refresh rates up to 100Hz with no flickering, artefacts or coil whine. it dropped frames though periodically even at 60Hz. Asus recommend a 980 or above for this screen.

AMD Radeon R9 290 series - you could select any refresh rate up to 100Hz but setting it at anything above 60Hz led to periodic flickering.

NVIDIA GTX 980 - worked fine at all refresh rates with no flickering, artefacts, noice or frame dropping

full review now completed and online here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg348q.htm

Associate
I have the same problem when i set the monitor to 100hz. Also the top of the screen flickers a bit in games when gsync is activated, both at 95 and 100hz. 90 hz is fine and the refresh rate i use when gaming.

Everything else is fine. I posted some pictures with my problem at overclock.net but it's basically the same as yours.

Just had my screen today and I am blown away by the quality of the display in games, with Rise of Tomb Raider looking even better to Witcher 3 looking amazing with sun light effects. The screen is huge........and the pictures I saw on-line before hand do not do it justice.

But I have one issue:

HGAlVgL.jpg

(This picture was taken when using steam, but also appeared in youtube videos)

This was taken when my monitor was set to 100Hz and you see some odd vertical lines, but if I reduce the screen to 95Hz then its ok. I have lowered the anti-aliasing in Dirt Rally as a test so that the fps would increase to 100, but I did not see the same issue as I did in that picture. While playing Rise of Tomb Raider and Witcher 3, I could not replicate the same problem as seen in the picture.. I have also noticed those vertical lines on some youtube videos as well.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Associate
Any one had any updates yet on when the next batch is due to arrive? Hope this screen is worth it and I get a good one without issues...

Soldato
Received my second panel. A little bit of bleed otherwise no major issues. I expect you will be hard pressed to find a sample with no bleed at all. For some reason have a tiny bit of coil whine on a specific rainforest site that is not audiable at all on any other site. May be I am just more sensitive to noise for whatever reason.

While I love this panel, can't wait for the day oled ones come out. Will be a while I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom