*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Associate
Mine arrived Friday and its in perfect condition. No dead pixels and no coil whine, I got my wife to listen for whine as I have tinnitus so everything has coil whine lol.

Found the stand to be quite big back to front so the monitor is a bit closer than I would have liked but it is a big screen.

Associate
It doesn't seem like there are any major issues with this screen so far? A few instances of quite coil whine is all I've read.

Such a big purchase I'll wait a few more months to be sure but if so would rather spend £1000 on this than spend £700 on the PG279Q and play the panel lottery?

Sounds like a good choice to me, I have a PG278Q and this PG348Q and both are excellent, although i will be selling my PG278Q as it's just collecting dust at the moment and it isn't worth keeping a gaming monitor just for a 2nd screen browser experience or something.

This PG348Q is the best monitor i have ever set eyes on and i've had a lot of monitors.

Associate
Right so my panel arrived midweek last week but I didn't get to play with it until the weekend.

The build quality is impressive; the stand, screen and all the styling have a heft to them that is quite reassuring. Fitting the two bolts to secure the column to the stand base was a little fiddly - my thumb slipped into one of the access holes and was slit open on some sharp metal inside... luckily my blood matches the ROG red motif so I just went with it. I was going to attach the screen to a wall bracket that I had from my previous screen setup but the mobility of the Asus stand, and the eye-catching look of it, have made me decide it deserves a place in the current setup.

The curve is a fairly subtle effect but somewhat helps the sense of immersion providing you're seated in the sweet spot. It might not be so great for observers, but being in the hot seat makes for a cracking view.

As for the image, the IPS colours are very strong and once overclocked up to 100Hz, that and the G-Sync make for some very slick gaming. The default colour settings and the brightness/contrast is a little overbearing, will have a play with it until things seem a bit less of an assault on the eyes.

I don't see any dead or stuck pixels, and haven't heard any coil whine yet - but admittedly have only kept an ear/eye for these during general use rather than throwing up test images etc.

The only real downside I can speak of so far beyond the aforementioned bloodthirstiness of it is that on a dark scene the white glow in the corners, particularly the bottom left, is strong enough so as to be distracting. I came to this screen from an LG 34UM95 which is essentially the same panel and that doesn't have anything near the same issue. I'm unsure if this is down to my individual screen or if it is exaggerated by the curved screen and subsequent viewing angles, but can forsee darker games (Alien: Isolation, Elite: Dangerous etc) being a bit let down if I can't find a way to mitigate this.

I'll continue testing and see if any brightness/contrast/RGB values yield better results, but even as is I'd give this a real thumbs-up if I could flex them both right now.

Soldato
Right so my panel arrived midweek last week but I didn't get to play with it until the weekend.

The build quality is impressive; the stand, screen and all the styling have a heft to them that is quite reassuring. Fitting the two bolts to secure the column to the stand base was a little fiddly - my thumb slipped into one of the access holes and was slit open on some sharp metal inside... luckily my blood matches the ROG red motif so I just went with it. I was going to attach the screen to a wall bracket that I had from my previous screen setup but the mobility of the Asus stand, and the eye-catching look of it, have made me decide it deserves a place in the current setup.

The curve is a fairly subtle effect but somewhat helps the sense of immersion providing you're seated in the sweet spot. It might not be so great for observers, but being in the hot seat makes for a cracking view.

As for the image, the IPS colours are very strong and once overclocked up to 100Hz, that and the G-Sync make for some very slick gaming. The default colour settings and the brightness/contrast is a little overbearing, will have a play with it until things seem a bit less of an assault on the eyes.

I don't see any dead or stuck pixels, and haven't heard any coil whine yet - but admittedly have only kept an ear/eye for these during general use rather than throwing up test images etc.

The only real downside I can speak of so far beyond the aforementioned bloodthirstiness of it is that on a dark scene the white glow in the corners, particularly the bottom left, is strong enough so as to be distracting. I came to this screen from an LG 34UM95 which is essentially the same panel and that doesn't have anything near the same issue. I'm unsure if this is down to my individual screen or if it is exaggerated by the curved screen and subsequent viewing angles, but can forsee darker games (Alien: Isolation, Elite: Dangerous etc) being a bit let down if I can't find a way to mitigate this.

I'll continue testing and see if any brightness/contrast/RGB values yield better results, but even as is I'd give this a real thumbs-up if I could flex them both right now.

Nice stuff. Mine is going back tomorrow sadly :( While the coil whine is not bad per say, its one of those things doing my nut in abit for normal tasks.

All of my curved panels (not that I have had many) but 3 LG-34UC97-S's (same panel as the one used in our ASUS and the X34) had some bleed and so does the ASUS I have now. All varying amounts but I think a little bit of bleed with these is pretty common and the few samples that do not have any are as rare as unicorns.

Soldato
........ Finally got it

Just starting to set it up

Any tips ?

I have set refresh rate to 100Hz on monitor
rebooted and then set refresh rate in Nvidia control panel to 100Hz

Sorry to sound tarded but what settings in
Manage 3D settings should I adjust ?
Monitor Technology is set to Gsync

Vertical sync = ?
Do I need to enable or disable this ?
I then set in the ingame setting to match this ?

thanks for any help

Last edited:
Soldato
........ Finally got it

Just starting to set it up

Any tips ?

I have set refresh rate to 100Hz on monitor
rebooted and then set refresh rate in Nvidia control panel to 100Hz

Sorry to sound tarded but what settings in
Manage 3D settings should I adjust ?
Monitor Technology is set to Gsync

Vertical sync = ?
Do I need to enable or disable this ?
I then set in the ingame setting to match this ?

thanks for any help

Leave Vsync at default settings in NCP, set Vsync to off in game.

Soldato
Hmmmm , methinks there may be something amiss

For some weird reason , my screen has went into standby (power LED goes to amber) for a second and then comes back on

It has done it several times over last hour, last time it went into power saving and then I had to power cycle it to get it to display anything

I think this unit may be faulty ?

Anyone got any ideas ?

Soldato
Hmmmm , methinks there may be something amiss

For some weird reason , my screen has went into standby (power LED goes to amber) for a second and then comes back on

It has done it several times over last hour, last time it went into power saving and then I had to power cycle it to get it to display anything

I think this unit may be faulty ?

Anyone got any ideas ?

If it's got the same issue as it's smaller brothers sounds like you need a new power pack / brick unfortunately.

Soldato
Thanks I will see what the supplier can do for me

@Fellow PG348Q owners , could I be so bold as to ask what settings you are using on your screen? (brightness , contrast and anything relevant I should adjust)

Soldato
Thanks I will see what the supplier can do for me

@Fellow PG348Q owners , could I be so bold as to ask what settings you are using on your screen? (brightness , contrast and anything relevant I should adjust)

Np.

In regards to brightness I use 60, contrast 50, color temp - manual and 100 on r, g and b. Overdrive settings normal. Having said that just stumbled upon that setting writing this post. Hah

Soldato
New DP cable sorted out the issue with standby

Thoughts on monitor so far , its pretty damn big and fills you field of view very well

Still not sure exactly what to play with in Nvidia control panel

Soldato
Quick Q, sorry if been mentioned, but when are these likely to be in stock, and readily available, anywhere?

Mine with coil whine was sent back yday. Was informed most places can expect the next batch towards the end of this month apparently which is when I can expect my replacement, sad times being back on a tiny screen again :(

Soldato
Mine with coil whine was sent back yday. Was informed most places can expect the next batch towards the end of this month apparently which is when I can expect my replacement, sad times being back on a tiny screen again :(

Coil whine (like some of the Acer users reporting?) That's **** to hear :(

I thought this Asus monitor might be better made. Not sure I can bear the hassle of playing panel lottery. Why is buying a monitor so hard these days, it's very depressing.

Can I just ask, assuming you got it from here (ocuk) are you returning it as 'faulty' and do ocuk actually agree with that!? Or are you returning at your own expense under DSR and getting a refund?

Soldato
Yeah I'm a bit unclear if coil whine is considered an actual fault or not. Acer seemed to make excuses about it on the X34 (and Asus will likely do the same) with the official bottom line being that it can't be fixed, so that does that mean they don't consider it a 'fault' in the true sense? I'm not sure what OCUK's position is on this either exactly.

Soldato
Did not get it from here admittedly. In honesty the coil whine was not awful per say, but looking at various other forums it appears not many users have the coil whine (or can't hear it) Figured with a £1000 panel or with any panel really would try again. Backlight bleed and that I can live with and did on panel prior.

But a constant whine is annoying as it happens typically in documents and when browising sites which is when the pc is running silent as its watercooled so the noise is easily heard. Typically happens when the screen is black and white so these are the common occasions when it's an issue. Games and what not when the whine would be washed out anyways it's not at all apparent

Did tell the retailer that it's not bad per say but they were willing to take a look and payed for the postage. Although the whine was minor it will do my nut in knowing I had the chance to get another panel which may not have had whine so don't mind not having it for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom