*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
I'm thinking (perhaps with bias) that as AJ wasn't KO'd then he did a better job. I know it's not that simple though.

But Fury was falling about the ring like nobody's business. I still don't know how that wasn't called off, and no idea how he didn't crumble. Have to give him a lot of credit for that punch resistance.

The second AJ fight was a much better performance. I think the reason why the ref didn’t wave it off is because this is the day they save you for.

Fury wasn’t down but he was as good as. If it was the other way around, would the ref have given Usyk the same chance though, being the smaller man.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd rather see Usyk retire to fully complete the job he set out to do. He really has been an absolute pleasure to watch since the Olympics, in a weird way I feel a bit sad that it's pretty much done the journey ends here even.

Like has been said, he could go on forever fighting the "next challenger" but why bother? He is 37 I think so time is now his only enemy and why start risking the absolute pristine legacy he already has.

Plus, it will be one last win over team Fury to just walk away after all the BS they tried with team Usyk over making this fight for the last 2 year.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is not a chance that a fighter can be forced to fight if they choose to retire. The rematch clause will prevent Usyk (in this case) from refusing to fight Fury and fighting somebody else but if Usyk retires no clause can force him to fight Fury.

But he can be taken to court for breach of contract no?

I don't know if its mandatory but whoever lost last night would have been very annoyed if the winner decides to retire having agreed in the contract to a rematch.

Last edited:
Don
But he can be taken to court for breach of contract no?
I doubt it. I don't believe, because it can't be enforced, that the rematch clause is as cut and dry as <winner> has to rematch <loser> if <loser> demands. Even a clause that forces the winner to pay x in the event he doesn't take the rematch seems doubtful as there's any number of legitimate reasons why a fighter cannot take a fight. Imagine one of the fighters picked up a serious injury preventing them from fighting - you can't then force them to fight and or penalise them if they don't.

We've seen examples of fighters trying to ignore rematch clauses and being taken to court and end result has been an injunction preventing them from taking another fight until they honour the rematch, which obviously wouldn't apply in the event a fighter retires.

Caporegime
A thought that popped into my head.

Given that Fury was essentially KO'd, did AJ do a better job against Usyk? You have to say yes, surely?
well no cause fury was up by 3 or 4 rounds then as usual usyk stepped on the gas. AJ was basically losing in both fights regardless. so fury can beat him just later on he either switched off tired or just usyk stepped it up too much for him. i would be surprised if in the 2nd fight fury beats him as at one point he was comfortably winning and controlling usyk.

Soldato
well no cause fury was up by 3 or 4 rounds then as usual usyk stepped on the gas. AJ was basically losing in both fights regardless. so fury can beat him just later on he either switched off tired or just usyk stepped it up too much for him. i would be surprised if in the 2nd fight fury beats him as at one point he was comfortably winning and controlling usyk.
AJ lost on points. Fury got KO'd but the ref didn't give it and then the bell rang. Even the count was slow, apparently.

But yes different tactics might work next time although I'd expect Usyk to adapt again, knowing that the game plan would be different. Not to mention if Fury was to push forward more he would be more open to getting hit, and we've seen what happens when he gets hit clean. This is kinda my point, whilst AJ did look troubled at times, he wasn't all but KO'd, bouncing from one side of the ring to another.

Also, was Fury really up 3-4 rounds? Most people had it at 4-4?

Last edited:
Caporegime
AJ lost on points. Fury got KO'd but the ref didn't give it and then the bell rang. Even the count was slow, apparently.

But yes different tactics might work next time although I'd expect Usyk to adapt again, knowing that the game plan would be different. Not to mention if Fury was to push forward more he would be more open to getting hit, and we've seen what happens when he gets hit clean. This is kinda my point, whilst AJ did look troubled at times, he wasn't all but KO'd, bouncing from one side of the ring to another.

Also, was Fury really up 3-4 rounds? Most people had it at 4-4?
he was up 3 - 4 rounds earlier but as most know usyk gets on the gas from round 6 normally. big heavy weights are slowing down then. thats when he beats a lot of people as he speeds up the work rate. AJ lost by more points. even though fury should have been stopped when he got battered. think fury can beat him but dunno now. like AJ once you get beat by him its always going to be uphill.

Soldato
The world in which Fury exists nothing less than him winning the rematch is possible.

For the last 10 years he's been on at us how he is the best of he's generation... Well unless he beats Usyk in the rematch he's just another dosser like all the others he's labelled as such.

I'd love Usyk to say Fury was a "big dosser" in an interview.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just love how much he was trying to convince the public that a little middleweight couldn't do anything to a proper heavyweight yet he was pretty much sparked out by said middleweight.

Very intrigued to see what his next steps will be. I think Usyk beats him again but he can't bang the drum about being the best ever now and I think people are waking up to him taking easy fights so will he have the desire to get up for a tricky top 5-10 challenger?

Soldato
The world in which Fury exists nothing less than him winning the rematch is possible.

For the last 10 years he's been on at us how he is the best of he's generation... Well unless he beats Usyk in the rematch he's just another dosser like all the others he's labelled as such.

I'd love Usyk to say Fury was a "big dosser" in an interview.

I believe he has a public persona that seems to fool quite a few, the chances of him actually believing all his rivals are dossers is next to nil

Soldato
I just love how much he was trying to convince the public that a little middleweight couldn't do anything to a proper heavyweight yet he was pretty much sparked out by said middleweight.

Very intrigued to see what his next steps will be. I think Usyk beats him again but he can't bang the drum about being the best ever now and I think people are waking up to him taking easy fights so will he have the desire to get up for a tricky top 5-10 challenger?

I believe he has a public persona that seems to fool quite a few, the chances of him actually believing all his rivals are dossers is next to nil
To me he will always be the Ch5 pub brawler who punched himself :D

Back
Top Bottom