• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i7 Overclocking Thread***

Soldato
Over 6hrs small ffts will do for now. Time to tweak the settings and get the voltages down. I'll use 10min LinX from here on. Gets seriously toasty, shows instability very quickly.

Untitled-2.jpg

Associate
How are you getting the 21 multiplier to work on asus p6t . Keep tryin and it doesnt show up?

You need to enable SpeedStep in the BIOS, look at my overclocking post on first page and i explain it all...

Has anyone got 4.2GHz totally stable with HT on? Mine wont go higher than 4.15 with HT... so near..

@ fornowagain: why is your screen res SO low with a setup like that? or did you just lower it for that screenshot?

Last edited:

HHM

HHM

Associate
RAM Timings 7-7-7-18 @ 1200MHz (next step up is 1600MHz and i7's dont support above 1333MHz operation with 12GB... but it is possible to do, i'm working on it)

MR.B. !!!

Could you say a little more about this ? I am very interested in at least 12GB for videoworks
at the same time high ram-speed does help rendering-performance etc etc very much, I was
always very interested in this, but I know that more ram does always mean less speed, so its
about a good compromise, and about if a decent overclock + solid performance is still possible

thanks for mention (and I better mention that I go for a Gigabyte MB in case that matters)

Last edited:
Associate
MR.B. !!!

Could you say a little more about this ? I am very interested in at least 12GB for videoworks
at the same time high ram-speed does help rendering-performance etc etc very much, I was
always very interested in this, but I know that more ram does always mean less speed, so its
about a good compromise, and about if a decent overclock + solid performance is still possible

thanks for mention (and I better mention that I go for a Gigabyte MB in case that matters)

Well all of the motherboard manufacturers stated that they fully support 12GB (or more) operation up to DDR3-1333, but after that, the IMC (intel memory controller, which is now within the i7, not on the motherboard) is being pushed beyond its official rating from Intel. But you can go higher than 1333MHz if you tweak BIOS settings enough, i've seen people get over 1500MHz with 12GB.

To be honest though it does not really matter now, being as i7's now have Tripple Channel memory the bandwidth is more than enough, the onboard memory controller also inproves memory performance even more. I do video editing too, and the performance increase is massive with things like encoding, nearly twice as fast as my Q9450 @ 3.8GHz with some things.

Soldato
@ fornowagain: why is your screen res SO low with a setup like that? or did you just lower it for that screenshot?

Its on an old 15" monitor at the moment. I've yet to strip out my QX9650 system, that has a 24".

BTW, did you catch my comments about your temps under reading? Just curious about the turbo function throttling back, seems it activates around 87C or so.

Last edited:
Associate
BTW, did you catch my comments about your temps under reading? Just curious about the turbo function throttling back, seems it activates around 87C or so.

Updated to the 2.90 RealTemp you linked, my temps are the same, well slightly better after placing my radiator in a better position. Get 73/74c under load.
But before i connected all three fans on my rad the turbo fuction throttled back at around 80c for me.

@ HHM: now got my 12GB at 1582MHz with 8-8-8-24 timings on 1.54v.
But because of my overclock it has more bandwidth than 1.87GHz memory...

mem.jpg

Also included 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel in there... as you can see it's right behind all the Tripple Channel stuff! the Tripple Channel memory provides more than enough bandwith for i7 so i wouldnt worry about memory holding you back with these chips.

Last edited:
Soldato
Updated to the 2.90 RealTemp you linked, my temps are the same, well slightly better after placing my radiator in a better position. Get 73/74c under load.
But before i connected all three fans on my rad the turbo fuction throttled back at around 80c for me.

If you look at your earlier screen shots you'll see they add up to 95C. All realtemp does is subtract the delta to a presumed Tjmax. The Tjmax for the 920 is 100C, so the delta + distance to Tjmax should be 100 not 95. So the temps you had before were under reading by 5C.

There some interesting information by the author of Realtemp, Unclewebb on the 85-87C turbo throttle here > http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205779&page=39 I'm wondering if its actually due to an imposed TDP thermal limit on Asus boards. Something that may limit the overclock when active.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah i see what you mean, but my TJ max is already set to 100c with version 2.90 so my readings of 73/74c were accurate.

I know other boards also throttle with the turbo fuction when they get too hot, remember reading it in a X58 motherboard review roundup... cant remember the site though.

Soldato
Oh yeah they are accurate, but now you're at 74C you're a good 6C lower than you were before, which is good for just moving it.

I mention the turbo throttle because on my Gigabyte it doesn't throttle, in fact it just bsod at 100C. I have all the TM functions disabled, maybe you're up against some TDP limit on the P6T if you can't disable the function. I don't know the Asus board that well, the way mine handles the TM function also depends on which bios I use, its disables with Turbo on beta 4 onwards.

Soldato
Quick question. I'm getting an i7 965 and 12GB Memory. Would it be possible to get the CPU to 4ghz on the Akasa AK967 cooler at a low fan speed and get this memory (Corsair 6gb DDR3 XMS PC3-10666C9) down to 7-7-7-20?
These chips pump out a LOT of heat. 4GHz on a low speed air cooler? I'm sure some might get away with it, depends a lot on the voltages needed. I've seen a few golden low voltage chips, personally mine would never be stable on air at 4Ghz. At least get one with a backplate and some decent fans.

12Gb adds a lot more stress on the IMC, usually more VTT voltage, so more heat as well. The 965 is pretty much a waste of money, but might help you get nearer 12Gb 4Ghz with the extra multipliers to maintain lower BCLK/uncore/QPI. You'd be better off buying a 920/940 and decent watercooling imho.

Last edited:
Associate
These chips pump out a LOT of heat. 4GHz on a low speed air cooler? I'm sure some might get away with it, depends a lot on the voltages needed. I've seen a few golden low voltage chips, personally mine would never be stable on air at 4Ghz. At least get one with a backplate and some decent fans.

12Gb adds a lot more stress on the IMC, usually more VTT voltage, so more heat as well. The 965 is pretty much a waste of money, but might help you get nearer 12Gb 4Ghz with the extra multipliers to maintain lower BCLK/uncore/QPI. You'd be better off buying a 920/940 and decent watercooling imho.

Watercooling is out of the question for me. I have a Resorator 1 v2 back in it's box because the original CPU blocks leaked on me twice and I can't risk downtime on my studio PC. Although I was given the new 'all metal' CPU block, extra pipe and coolant...really should put it on ebay!

Soldato
Watercooling is out of the question for me. I have a Resorator 1 v2 back in it's box because the original CPU blocks leaked on me twice and I can't risk downtime on my studio PC. Although I was given the new 'all metal' CPU block, extra pipe and coolant...really should put it on ebay!

Its a shame to be put off by bad products. I use an external radbox, so only a cpu block in the PC. The better more modern blocks are precision CNC machined, very fine tolerances and extremely reliable. Leaks are not that much of a concern, especially if you consider the loop design carefully. If you're really set on low speed air cooling just be prepared to lower you sights. Unless you get lucky with a low voltage chip, I have seen a couple that could get to 4Ghz with around 1.2v. Even then with all 8 HT threads going 100% its kicking out quite a lot.

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question. I'm getting an i7 965 and 12GB Memory. Would it be possible to get the CPU to 4ghz on the Akasa AK967 cooler at a low fan speed and get this memory (Corsair 6gb DDR3 XMS PC3-10666C9) down to 7-7-7-20?

Why buy 1333MHz Corsair memory when you can get 1600MHz for the same price? ;) Thats really poor timings aswell considering the speed and price of that Corsair.
I have 12GB of the G.Skill and can get it running at 7-6-6-20 at around 1333MHz. But with Intel chips the MHz matters a LOT more than the timings. Timings have very little effect. But a MHz bump makes a big difference even if the timings are lower.
For instance my memory at 1582MHz with 8-8-8-24 has way more bandwidth than at 1200MHz with 6-6-6-18.

I'd really recommend just getting a 920 and good water cooling. Save so much money...

Last edited:
Associate
I have a weird thing going on with mine...

It primes just fine, and runs great all evening. I then switched it off about midnight, went to work and then when I come home and switch on, I get overclocking failed, and I have to reset it back to stock..

Any ideas?

I'm looking for optimal BIOS settings for a 3.8Ghz overclock if anyone has them?

Ta!

Associate
Why buy 1333MHz Corsair memory when you can get 1600MHz for the same price? ;) Thats really poor timings aswell considering the speed and price of that Corsair.
I have 12GB of the G.Skill and can get it running at 7-6-6-20 at around 1333MHz. But with Intel chips the MHz matters a LOT more than the timings. Timings have very little effect. But a MHz bump makes a big difference even if the timings are lower.
For instance my memory at 1582MHz with 8-8-8-24 has way more bandwidth than at 1200MHz with 6-6-6-18.

I'd really recommend just getting a 920 and good water cooling. Save so much money...

Really? From reading some reviews on the i7 system I understood that there is little performance difference in what speed memory you get because of how high the triple channel bandwidth is. :confused:

Associate
Really? From reading some reviews on the i7 system I understood that there is little performance difference in what speed memory you get because of how high the triple channel bandwidth is. :confused:

Well yeah thats true because the tripple channel provides more than enough bandwidth... the only place your'd really see a difference is with benchmarking. But being as 1600MHz G.Skill is the same price anyway as the 1333MHz Corsair you may aswell just get it! Plus it will almost certainly do lower timings if you did run it at 1333MHz.
In the image higher up on this page you can see the bandwidth difference with 1333 and 1600.

Associate
I have a weird thing going on with mine...

It primes just fine, and runs great all evening. I then switched it off about midnight, went to work and then when I come home and switch on, I get overclocking failed, and I have to reset it back to stock..

Any ideas?

I'm looking for optimal BIOS settings for a 3.8Ghz overclock if anyone has them?

Ta!
What happens if you go back into the BIOS and re-save the settings? does it work then?

Try:
CPU: 1.42v
QPI/Dram Voltage: 1.35
LoadLine Calibration: Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCI-E Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU TM Fuction: Disabled

Then if thats stable, work your way down on the CPU voltage and each time run Prime95 for atleast a hour.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Well yeah thats true because the tripple channel provides more than enough bandwidth... the only place your'd really see a difference is with benchmarking. But being as 1600MHz G.Skill is the same price anyway as the 1333MHz Corsair you may aswell just get it! Plus it will almost certainly do lower timings if you did run it at 1333MHz.
In the image higher up on this page you can see the bandwidth difference with 1333 and 1600.

Alternatively, get the 1333MHz G.Skill and save yourself £40.

Back
Top Bottom