The official Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP Thread

Associate
The 2407WFP A04 and 2407WFP-HC A00 share the same S-PVA from Samsung (as in SM-245T) but the only difference was that the "HC" model had 6 CCFL-U-type back lights giving it a superior / higher colour gamut 92% as apose to 4 used on the 2407WFP A04 this then produced in some cases a ghosting problem, although I personally cannot see any ghosting with my "HC" and i'm very happy with it.

Now the new 2408WFP looks like it's using the same S-PVA panel but will feature a 7 CCFL U-type giving 110% colour gamut so will this then produce an even more severe ghosting problem??

Also I see there some comments the brightness / contrast being to high on the new 3008WFP which has been delayed due to a "quality" issues , is this also due to the fact it's colour contrast is so high?

Further more looking at the panel part database Samsung sho 24" S-PVA panels with a maximum of 92% colour gamut with the new LED Backlit model featuring up to 111% colour gamut;

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_parts.htm

I note also at the bottom of Dell specification page there is a note on the colour gamut;

2408WFP Color Gamut (Typical) is based on CIE1976 (110%) and CIE1931 (102%)

The point i'm really getting to is the new higher colour gamut/contrast ratios likely to cause other problems ??

Man of Honour
The 2407WFP original version actually used a slightly different panel to the HC edition, that being the LTM240M2 as compared with the LTM240CS01. It was identified as an issue with the RTC control which was responsible for the ghosting issues on the HC, it shouldn't be related to the type of CCFL's used since they provide backlighting and are independant of RTC control at a panel level. The 2408WFP looks like it will use a new Samsung module, but unsure of the new part number at this stage.

Associate
Looks promising.

The guy said COD4 was a bit sluggish. Unfortunately I can't see what spec his PC is, so hopefully it's just a case of the PC struggling to push out 1920*1200 on what looks like very high settings rather than response time of the monitor.

I want this monitor :)

I think he has now posted his specs, and commented that it does seem to be an issue with his pc hardware not being up to the job. I know this is only one review, but this monitor does look rather promising.

Associate
Hopefully it will live up to the standards we expect from a Dell monitor these days. I'm after a bigger monitor for when I go to uni next (academic) year as I want to use it as a TV/display for my 360, so the ports it has are ideal. Bought my 2007WFP shortly after launch and it's been brilliant, so I'll put my faith in Dell yet again. :p

Soldato
tedbird n00bie, 18 Days

I tested ghosting with the exact settings that Bwaze suggested. I can't see any ghosting when I drag items around the screen. The monitor was fully warmed up (over an hour).

Now some bad news - after warming up the monitor, I'm seeing a bit of backlight bleeding coming from all 4 corners. I'll post some pictures later.

A couple of other notes - you can't use hdmi for PIP with DVI. You can only use component, composite and s-video. I got a pretty good picture when using a high def feed from my cable box. Standard def had a lot of artifacts when I set the mode to aspect. 1:1 looked great using both hd and sd sources, but the sd picture is so damn small when you don't scale.

I'll try to post some more later tonight.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276368&page=2

No ghosting :):):):):):)

Associate
Now some bad news - after warming up the monitor, I'm seeing a bit of backlight bleeding coming from all 4 corners. I'll post some pictures later.

That's... disappointing.:(

Even more so considering the high price tag.

Ikki

Soldato
Ive found backlight bleeding tends to fade away after a week or so constant use... well it sorta relaxes a tad if anything.

It is a bit disapointing but then again are there any highend screens that dont have any backlight bleed at all ?

Main thing is theres no ghosting witnessed ! and I belive hes done the correct test that trigger off that ghosting youtube video cos the same guy who posted that video asked him to run the same test ;)

Soldato
oooh then in that case if the backlight stays its gonna hurt :(

Ive only had samsung 22" and 24" and both faded overtime but yeah little bits in the corner did stay sadly.

Shame they cant make it 100% clear.

Associate
Just read through that review from Tedbird on Hardforum and unless i'm missing something he's not catergorically stating there is or isn't a ghosting problem on the 2408WFP ???

Also are we presuming "COD4" he talking about is the Dell part number for the 2408WFP?? the HC was a DR474

Soldato
Its not a 100% confirmation theres no ghosting but its looking good.

The same guy who posted the youtube 2407 ghosting video asked the 2408 hc owner to run the same test and to see if it came up and well he says theres no such issue.

We wont really know till tftcentral or more people get it, actually has anyone checked dell forums especially that massive 2407 ghosting thread one ?

Back
Top Bottom