***The Official Dying Light 2 thread***

Caporegime
Might be why then, start of game looked noticeably better with rt too though imo but city areas is a much better showcase given all the objects/buildings, light sources etc.

Little difference in those screenshots, what's the settings? Also, why not use dx 12?

Caporegime
Might be why then, start of game looked noticeably better with rt too though imo but city areas is a much better showcase given all the objects/buildings, light sources etc.

Little difference in those screenshots, what's the settings? Also, why not use dx 12?
Maybe. I'll recheck when I get there to be fair.

I use DX11 as it is currently faster, by around 6-10FPS vs DX12 at 4K. It's an odd one, but if reviewers didn't try running AMD on DX11, then they are showing a worst case scenario.

That was 4K, max settings, but with two settings turned down from high to medium (fog and reflections) and ambient on low instead of high - since there is no medium option.

I mean, there's no difference in quality there at all really, but the feeling that 20+ FPS gives you is huge.

I know you liked the effects dialled up, but i recommend you give it a try and see how it feels at higher FPS - assuming you have a 120HZ or better display. If you are running 60HZ fair enough, no point in that case tbf. :p

Soldato
I'll share a video later, you should try copying my settings. Just run 4K native (it'll look much better than using FSR/DLSS) and tweak the settings. I think there were three settings i lowered from High to medium.

You'll have FPS 70-90 at 4K (with a 6800 XT) and in my side by side comparisons there is almost zero difference between max settings and optimised settings, other than an extra 20+ FPS. Enable Radeon Image Sharpening works wonders too for improving IQ with no perf hit.

I do not understand the hate towards FSR in this title. I have had some more looks at FSR today and noticed some differences in shadows while in some parts FSR looks actually better and others it's mixed.

Take this first example I not sure what is a happening here I playing maxed out no RT with AUTO HDR enabled.

https://imgsli.com/OTQzMjE - Notice the bottom left shadow is darker with Native but as you move up you see more shadow detail with FSR. I just think tbh it might be a game day and night effect but you can see it side by side it no real winner between FSR on or OFF.

https://imgsli.com/OTQzMTg - Hard to spot a difference with out getting all zoomy

https://imgsli.com/OTQzMTk - I actually think FSR in this side by side looks better.

Caporegime
Maybe. I'll recheck when I get there to be fair.

I use DX11 as it is currently faster, by around 6-10FPS vs DX12 at 4K. It's an odd one, but if reviewers didn't try running AMD on DX11, then they are showing a worst case scenario.

That was 4K, max settings, but with two settings turned down from high to medium (fog and reflections) and ambient on low instead of high - since there is no medium option.

I mean, there's no difference in quality there at all really, but the feeling that 20+ FPS gives you is huge.

I know you liked the effects dialled up, but i recommend you give it a try and see how it feels at higher FPS - assuming you have a 120HZ or better display. If you are running 60HZ fair enough, no point in that case tbf. :p

nope-danny-de-vito.gif

:p

My 3440x1440 display is 144hz (the lg e7 is 60hz) so would like to squeeze more fps from it to get the most from it.... I'll reduce the non-RT settings and see how it goes ;) :p

Caporegime
I do not understand the hate towards FSR in this title. I have had some more looks at FSR today and noticed some differences in shadows while in some parts FSR looks actually better and others it's mixed.

Take this first example I not sure what is a happening here I playing maxed out no RT with AUTO HDR enabled.

https://imgsli.com/OTQzMjE - Notice the bottom left shadow is darker with Native but as you move up you see more shadow detail with FSR. I just think tbh it might be a game day and night effect but you can see it side by side it no real winner between FSR on or OFF.

https://imgsli.com/OTQzMTg - Hard to spot a difference with out getting all zoomy

https://imgsli.com/OTQzMTk - I actually think FSR in this side by side looks better.
I'll admit, there's really not much difference in those screenshots. Native is better though, when I pixel peep I can see it is sharper. But yeah, FSR Quality is not bad there to be fair and Ultra Quality would be even better.

What I will say though is, using my settings, native 4K, with Radeon Image Sharpening and a couple of effects dialled down a notch will look and feel better than FSR Quality.
nope-danny-de-vito.gif

:p

My 3440x1440 display is 144hz (the lg e7 is 60hz) so would like to squeeze more fps from it to get the most from it.... I'll reduce the non-RT settings and see how it goes ;) :p
:cry:

I'm glad to see the game gets more colourful as you progress looking at Shanklys screenshots. I've seen enough orange tinge at the start to last me a lifetime.

Soldato
I'll admit, there's really not much difference in those screenshots. Native is better though, when I pixel peep I can see it is sharper. But yeah, FSR Quality is not bad there to be fair and Ultra Quality would be even better.

What I will say though is, using my settings, native 4K, with Radeon Image Sharpening and a couple of effects dialled down a notch will look and feel better than FSR Quality.

I'm glad to see the game gets more colourful as you progress looking at Shanklys screenshots. I've seen enough orange tinge at the start to last me a lifetime.

Just play the game :D:cry:

All this pixel peeping doesn't do anything justice we could sit here all day with pixel peeping your screenshots and find a few reasons to not lower settings.

What is more important standing around getting eaten by a zombie while you pixel peep or smashing their heads in with a pipe at 100fps XD

Caporegime
Just play the game :D:cry:

All this pixel peeping doesn't do anything justice we could sit here all day with pixel peeping your screenshots and find a few reasons to not lower settings.

What is more important standing around getting eaten by a zombie while you pixel peep or smashing their heads in with a pipe at 100fps XD
#pixelpeep

Fair fair. I agree you just won't notice this sort of thing when playing if the game is good.

Still want you to try my settings though when I share the video. :D

Associate
Played a few hours, big fan of the original and this is shaping up nicely as well.

Some peevs though:

*No walk! What is it with games and no walk? All the NPCs are casually wandering around looking great while I leg it about like a lunatic..

*The fisheye effect when running, this kicking in all the bloomin time (as there's no walk ..)

*The immersive hud still leaving way too many icons on the screen

As with the first some self imposed restrictions make it a much better game, not using survivor sense for example. The first one was better when not using the grappling hook.

May come back to it when there's some fixes or mods available.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well I guess native must be terrible then because I honestly can not see any difference between FSR on and off while playing the game. Even in the screen shot I posted its very difficult to see the difference.
Weird. Me and Matt see the difference. For me I only tried FSR performance mode and it was no way near as good as DLSS performance mode, like night and day difference. Could be that FSR works better on Quality I guess :)

As for RT, it does make a difference, surely you guys watched the digital foundry video by now?

Caporegime
Weird. Me and Matt see the difference. For me I only tried FSR performance mode and it was no way near as good as DLSS performance mode, like night and day difference. Could be that FSR works better on Quality I guess :)

As for RT, it does make a difference surely you guys watched the digital foundry video by now?
Did better than that, actually played the game and used it myself. Not that much difference, so far up to the first safe house at least. And as I said to Nexus, none of those scenes really look very good do they lets be honest, on or off. :cry:

Just seen that you can get FSR UQ mode working by editing a config file too @shankly1985. Can confirm it works.

Gonna have to revisit settings and see if using FSR UQ changes the landscape at all. Just did a quick test and FPS shot up to 150 using it, so can probably turn up a few more effects now. Still might go the native route though as it seems like the first area I tested on is significantly more demanding than other areas.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Did better than that, actually played the game and used it myself. Not that much difference, so far up to the first safe house at least. And as I said to Nexus, none of those scenes really look very good do they lets be honest, on or off. :cry:

Just seen that you can get FSR UQ mode working by editing a config file too @shankly1985. Can confirm it works.

Gonna have to revisit settings and see if using FSR UQ changes the landscape at all. Just did a quick test and FPS shot up to 150 using it, so can probably turn up a few more effects now.
Watch the video above. Could be that your settings did not apply properly. Happened to me once already.

Soldato
I can imagine the comments but I for the life of me cannot figure this bl**dy vault kick and I need to do it three times. Managed it once but I really do not get it even though I am trying to following the prompts. It really annoys me when games force me to fight in a particular way.

I will give it a rest then go back foe another attempt.

Soldato

Gonna have to revisit settings and see if using FSR UQ changes the landscape at all. Just did a quick test and FPS shot up to 150 using it, so can probably turn up a few more effects now. Still might go the native route though as it seems like the first area I tested on is significantly more demanding than other areas.

Nice will take a look later. Why Ultra quality isn't in the settings is a little confusing.

Caporegime
Watch the video above. Could be that your settings did not apply properly. Happened to me once already.

Yeah just thinking there Matt, I don't think RT works with dx 11, in fact can you even put on the ray tracing settings with dx 11? The highest quality one will specifically state ray tracing.

Here you go guys, was posted in the other thread by Nexus.

Can you two see the difference? By you two I mean Matt and Shanks :p

I think the most telling thing to do with that video is how long it is compared to his other video comparisons where games have lesser ray tracing i.e. there is a considerable difference with RT turned on DL 2 thus a lot more to show off.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This game looks potato without ray tracing on, like looks like a 12 year old game, even cyberpunk looks better than this, but then ray tracing and bang, best game.
I would not go that far..

Weird how all this goes from one extreme to the other. You obviously see a HUGE difference. Yet Matt plays it down and says there is not much difference.

From what I have seen you are both wrong as the truth is somewhere in between, at least for my eyes anyway :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah just thinking there Matt, I don't think RT works with dx 11, in fact can you even put on the ray tracing settings with dx 11? The highest quality one will specifically state ray tracing.

I think the most telling thing to do with that video is how long it is compared to his other video comparisons where games have lesser ray tracing i.e. there is a considerable difference with RT turned on DL 2 thus a lot more to show off.
I mean he should try it again, it needs to be on DX12 Ultimate and just to be sure restart game manually.

But still, does he not see much difference in that video either? That’s my question which he seems to be dodging :p

Caporegime
I mean he should try it again, it needs to be on DX12 Ultimate and just to be sure restart game manually.

But still, does he not see much difference in that video either? That’s my question which he seems to be dodging :p

It's pretty obvious that people are just siding with the settings their hardware supports at acceptable performance levels. They would have to be blind not to notice the RT difference in some areas.

The game isn't horrific with it turned off but I can see what people mean about it looking very dated in parts without it. The lighting is really quite bad in some scenes with it turned off.

Back
Top Bottom