***The Official Dying Light 2 thread***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh didn't know that, normally there's an nvidia logo on one of the intro screens when nvidia plays a part in a game's optimisation. This uses DXR for RT so as far as RT goes, if any card can do RT, then it will look exactly the same regardless of being nvidia/AMD etc.

The only poorly implemented AMD thing seems to be AMD FSR as it's blurry. But then again AMD doesn't do RT stuff in current cards so it's not really worthwhile thing to enable anyway.

Associate
Im getting a lot of frame stutters, starting to do my nut in, every where i go i get frame skips and stutters. Using my 3080 at 1440p with DF recommended settings so should be gettting around 70-80 fps. I do have it vsync to 60 fps because im playing on my none VRR oled

Caporegime
Still not had any issues with perf. so far.

It could be a case of the devs putting less effort into regular screen scape/mapped out GI effects in order to hype RT up even more I guess but I think it's more to do with the art style. Look at Cyberlunk for example, the standard maps in that game are so well done that you can have a great time with RTX off but when you turn them on you will notice the little RTX bonuses throughout. It's not as big difference though just because normal lighting/shadows etc are done so well in that game, but it does have a very different art style too.

This but then again, many did and still do argue that metro exodus (non enhanced version) has some of the best shadowing, lighting etc. yet it still pales in comparison to the enhanced version. There is only so much that can be done by rasterization methods and what we have seen with RT is still just the tip of the iceberg.

@mrk It is signed as a Nvidia title.

Also a comment on the RT performance on the different vendors.

Don't disagree on some of those points, however, I always find it amusing when people say "optimise RT for RDNA 2", "optimise for consoles", what that really means is limiting/reducing the RT effects or/and things like resolution of reflections and other things like only having RT reflections apply to certain surfaces and not a variety of things i.e. like in fc 6, only some metal surfaces and only puddles have RT reflections. We have also seen even in AMD sponsored titles like RE village, riftbreaker etc., amd still get hit harder which brings the perf. below ampere. Doom eternal only has RT reflections iirc? Although it is a good example for RT reflections. Spiderman, ratchet and clank are very good for RT but again, they have made many compromises on RT (and the game overall such as adaptive resolution/checkerboarding etc.) make it possible.

Time will tell but I'll be amazed if rdna 2 ever gets anywhere close to ampere in RT perf., given consoles are using RT where possible, I would like to think they would have been able to get more from RT by now, then of course, by the time when/if that happens, the next lot of cards will be out, which will likely make current cards look crap in comparison (iirc, nvidia are already working on a way which supposedly improves RT by 20%)

I defo agree on the part about nvidia acting like they own RT but then again, if they weren't pushing RT as far as it has been in titles like metro, cp 2077 etc., we would be getting lesser RT experience/games.

Metro is definitely the best case scenario we have seen for RDNA 2 RT perf. so far but even then it falls incredibly short of what ampere offers.

Last edited:
Soldato
It could be a case of the devs putting less effort into regular screen scape/mapped out GI effects in order to hype RT up even more I guess but I think it's more to do with the art style. Look at Cyberlunk for example, the standard maps in that game are so well done that you can have a great time with RTX off but when you turn them on you will notice the little RTX bonuses throughout. It's not as big difference though just because normal lighting/shadows etc are done so well in that game, but it does have a very different art style too.
Agree with all this bud, a prime example is our CP2077 screenshots, sure, RT adds more to the graphics, but the experience without is just as good, where as what I'm seeing from DL2 is that the opposite really, where Ray tracing has been a something that's formed the core look of the game, so without it, it's extremely bland.

Caporegime
Still not had any issues with perf. so far.

This but then again, many did and still do argue that metro exodus (non enhanced version) has some of the best shadowing, lighting etc. yet it still pales in comparison to the enhanced version. There is only so much that can be done by rasterization methods and what we have seen with RT is still just the tip of the iceberg.

Don't disagree on some of those points, however, I always find it amusing when people say "optimise RT for RDNA 2", "optimise for consoles", what that really means is limiting/reducing the RT effects or/and things like resolution of reflections and other things like only having RT reflections apply to certain surfaces and not a variety of things i.e. like in fc 6, only some metal surfaces and only puddles have RT reflections. We have also seen even in AMD sponsored titles like RE village, riftbreaker etc., amd still get hit harder which brings the perf. below ampere. Doom eternal only has RT reflections iirc? Although it is a good example for RT reflections. Spiderman, ratchet and clank are very good for RT but again, they have made many compromises on RT (and the game overall such as adaptive resolution/checkerboarding etc.) make it possible.

Time will tell but I'll be amazed if rdna 2 ever gets anywhere close to ampere in RT perf., given consoles are using RT where possible, I would like to think they would have been able to get more from RT by now, then of course, by the time when/if that happens, the next lot of cards will be out, which will likely make current cards look crap in comparison (iirc, nvidia are already working on a way which supposedly improves RT by 20%)

I defo agree on the part about nvidia acting like they own RT but then again, if they weren't pushing RT as far as it has been in titles like metro, cp 2077 etc., we would be getting lesser RT experience/games.

Metro is definitely the best case scenario we have seen for RDNA 2 RT perf. so far but even then it falls incredibly short of what ampere offers.
Stop being reasonable it does not suit you. Yeah don’t completely disagree with you there. Feels uncomfortable saying that. :p

I think that dev summed it up perfectly tbf, you pretty much just reiterated what he said, bar the quality part.
I think it will get better over time, which should allow for better quality, but 2nd gen will always be faster than 1st gen, but the problem is (as he pointed out) that it’s not just that difference what is causing the drastic differences, as shown in the examples provided.

Everyone spoke very highly of ratchet rt etc, and surely it will get better in time as more games come out and devs get used to the newer hardware.

Back on topic, now settling down into a proper session of this without worrying about settings, pixel peeping or recording videos. I’ve discovered a few annoying gripes, some perhaps already mentioned.

1. I’ve disabled everything in HUD and there are still lots of horrible icons on screen for pick ups, etc. It really ruins the immersion.
  2. You have to trigger the sense to be able to interact with some objects. I’d rather not use that feature at all as it ruins immersion in the world.
  3. Every time you use sense it makes an annoying noise. Didn’t mind with the TV speakers but it’s really annoying with the H3Pro headset on.
That’s all I have for now, but sure I’ll find more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Ah should have been more clear, I mean as in AMD cards just don't do RT at any reasonable level compared to nVidia cards especially when you factor in DLSS.

Depends on what you deem reasonable. Its their first try at it, nvidia are already on their second iteration. DLSS however does mean you can get best of both worlds which I think is the better point to make.

Caporegime
Any news on what its for ? Cannot find anything about it but my game has updated, didnt fix my stutter issues tho. Moving to DLSS balanced has but my gpu usage is now at around 55%
Could not find anything either myself, not even in their Twitter feed when I looked earlier. I will assume this is the day one patch, except it’s day 3.

Game plays great for me, but using the DX11 code path here as the FPS are higher.

Associate
Could not find anything either myself, not even in their Twitter feed when I looked earlier. I will assume this is the day one patch, except it’s day 3.

Game plays great for me, but using the DX11 code path here as the FPS are higher.

I assume no RT tho ?

Im running my 3080 with DFs recommended settings, my gpu running at about 60% utilisation as im vsync to 60 fps but getting stutter which is ashame but ive just popped DLSS to balance and the 10 mins i tried seemed ok but Boxing is on now so will get back to the game tomorrow lol

Caporegime
I assume no RT tho ?

Im running my 3080 with DFs recommended settings, my gpu running at about 60% utilisation as im vsync to 60 fps but getting stutter which is ashame but ive just popped DLSS to balance and the 10 mins i tried seemed ok but Boxing is on now so will get back to the game tomorrow lol
Yeah no rt. try turning vsync off maybe?

About to watch the boxing myself, if the live stream I found keeps working that is. Come on Williams.

Associate
Yeah no rt. try turning vsync off maybe?

About to watch the boxing myself, if the live stream I found keeps working that is. Come on Williams.

I need Vsync on as im using my Oled TV with no VRR and just becomes a screen tearing frenzy. Busy playing GOW too and that is mostly smooth as silk albeit no RT but at 4K

Yea hopefully its a cracking fight want Williams to win only because i dont like euwank but think euwank maybe too much for him

Did your GPU die when you 1st met Hakon ?

Caporegime
I need Vsync on as im using my Oled TV with no VRR and just becomes a screen tearing frenzy. Busy playing GOW too and that is mostly smooth as silk albeit no RT but at 4K

Yea hopefully its a cracking fight want Williams to win only because i dont like euwank but think euwank maybe too much for him

Ah yeah that makes sense then.

No FPS we’re normal when I met Hakon, no drops etc. not progressed any further than him waiting for you on the roof.

Agree with you on the boxing sadly. If Grooves couldn’t finish him Williams won’t.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

His FPS would not have dropped as he does not use RT. When I turned RT off it worked no problem also, which suggests to me it is RT related as it happened to both of us when using RT.

Back
Top Bottom