***The Official Dying Light 2 thread***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea but mine absolutely tanked i had to exit and load back in https://youtu.be/bY6QNrgRFRo was yours like this ?
Yep. Pretty much. I had to exit like you, at which point I turned RT off and the problem was solved. As soon as the cut scene was over I turned RT back on and have been playing for many hour’s since not issue. Could be just a bug related to RT being on. But who knows for sure. I am just glad it was a one off :)

Soldato
So the question on my mind is "is this game worth £55?" and I'm struggling to find anyone raving about it. There's a lot of "it's pretty good" comments, but to pay top dollar... Well it has to be bloody special. Can't remember if I've ever paid that much for a game!

Associate
So the question on my mind is "is this game worth £55?" and I'm struggling to find anyone raving about it. There's a lot of "it's pretty good" comments, but to pay top dollar... Well it has to be bloody special. Can't remember if I've ever paid that much for a game!

Cost me £25.99 loved the 1st one and im only 4 hours into this one and it seem just as good if not better so im happy

Soldato
Just bought it myself, I was a bit on edge but I did enjoy the first one and they supported it for a long time after release so i don't feel too bad about it.

Soldato
People who say RT is not noticeable need LASIK.

Even utterly mundane scenes like this one looks much more realistic with RTGI

RT OFF:

dyinglight2stayhumans4ck4d.png

RT ON.

dyinglight2stayhumans4kjt9.png

Soldato
Sorry but my game doe not look like your screenshot with RT off. Is that maxed settings without RT?

Yes, only fog is on medium and motion blur is disabled. Find this location and make a screenshot, because I doubt it would look any different on your end. Of course you would also have to match time of day - 11:29

Soldato
Yes, only fog is on medium and motion blur is disabled. Find this location and make a screenshot, because I doubt it would look any different on your end. Of course you would also have to match time of day - 11:29

It's a big map. I have been playing for 10 hours maxed setting without RT and not once have I seen my graphics looking this bad.
Even your RT screenshot looks quite bad vs what the other guys have posted so far.

It might be that area I haven't been yet but I am sure I would notice this amount of low quality.

Caporegime
People who say RT is not noticeable need LASIK.

Even utterly mundane scenes like this one looks much more realistic with RTGI

RT OFF:

dyinglight2stayhumans4ck4d.png

RT ON.

dyinglight2stayhumans4kjt9.png
Let's be honest, they both look bad. The devs put no effort into non RT. RT is nothing special in this game, it's just without it looks bad. I guess that's one way to try and promote the feature. The graphics in the game are just very ordinary, the textures are bad too, and no HDR.
I am not long in and as yet not feeling the love and so far the first game seems better as far as gameplay is concerned.
About 10 hours in and it's no better than dying light 1.
Yes, it's no better than Dying Light one and perhaps even a little worse in some aspects. I'm gonna continue playing in the hope its get better, but I can see it becoming repetitive already.

Here's that video I mentioned Shankly. Game definitely feels more fluid at higher FPS IMO.

Soldato
Okay my thoughts having plays circa 6 hours or so.

1) Ray tracing. I effectively described ray tracing to my wife as a really GPU demanding effect that if it works properly, it’s hard to notice. RT is aimed at creating a realistic effect, recreating a basic form of the physics of light. This suggest to me that the better it works, the less noticeable it should be, as our minds see this as normal rather than stylised/exaggerated. I think this is where the tech should be heading. The difference between this and CP2077 is the lack of neon signs plastered around the world to really showcase the effect. But it works well and looks great.

2) overall graphics, not to triple AAA standards but then do we expect that from Techland? They’re not a AAA developer as far as I’m concerned, and I think classing every developer who’s made a hit game (CDPR, Techland etc) as a AAA developer straight away sets unfair expectations. They don’t have a huge publisher backing them as far as I’m aware, nor the money pool like Gearbox, Valve, Activision etc..

3) the gameplay: fantastic. If you liked DY1 I can’t see how you could possibly dislike DY2. One of the very very very few games where I actively put off the main quest because I’m enjoying doing the side quests. I typically find open works games monotonous and laborious but this one keeps the side quests enjoyable and quick. Whoever raged about the side quest about finding the guys fish; the joke here is, you don’t. You just talk to him, he tells a long story, quest complete.

4) the price: a lot of people scored this cheaper via pre-order (and did right to do so), I managed to pick it up via Kinguin for £33. At £55, any game is overpriced to me, but I don’t think Valve etc are truly expecting your average Joe to pay that from them. However, cost of development of games is much higher than 10 years ago, inflation etc - I do think people need to accept the rising prices of release date games. Further to this, I think smaller developers like Techland need the support more. They’re not going to sell the sheer amount of units that GTA5 or even an unsuccessful CoD release do, and thus they’ll be relying on less units at a higher price.

5) expectations: players and expectations have gone wild lately. Here we have something against the grain of your standard gaming experience (free running, 4p coop, zombie fighting, story heavy, tech pushing) and when it does finally come out, reviewers and gamers are quick to compare it merely to other AAA games rather than on its own merits.

I actually bought this game to play through with my son and I’m having a great time playing it, surpassing my expectations.

Soldato
Okay my thoughts having plays circa 6 hours or so.

1) Ray tracing. I effectively described ray tracing to my wife as a really GPU demanding effect that if it works properly, it’s hard to notice. RT is aimed at creating a realistic effect, recreating a basic form of the physics of light. This suggest to me that the better it works, the less noticeable it should be, as our minds see this as normal rather than stylised/exaggerated. I think this is where the tech should be heading. The difference between this and CP2077 is the lack of neon signs plastered around the world to really showcase the effect. But it works well and looks great.

2) overall graphics, not to triple AAA standards but then do we expect that from Techland? They’re not a AAA developer as far as I’m concerned, and I think classing every developer who’s made a hit game (CDPR, Techland etc) as a AAA developer straight away sets unfair expectations. They don’t have a huge publisher backing them as far as I’m aware, nor the money pool like Gearbox, Valve, Activision etc..

3) the gameplay: fantastic. If you liked DY1 I can’t see how you could possibly dislike DY2. One of the very very very few games where I actively put off the main quest because I’m enjoying doing the side quests. I typically find open works games monotonous and laborious but this one keeps the side quests enjoyable and quick. Whoever raged about the side quest about finding the guys fish; the joke here is, you don’t. You just talk to him, he tells a long story, quest complete.

4) the price: a lot of people scored this cheaper via pre-order (and did right to do so), I managed to pick it up via Kinguin for £33. At £55, any game is overpriced to me, but I don’t think Valve etc are truly expecting your average Joe to pay that from them. However, cost of development of games is much higher than 10 years ago, inflation etc - I do think people need to accept the rising prices of release date games. Further to this, I think smaller developers like Techland need the support more. They’re not going to sell the sheer amount of units that GTA5 or even an unsuccessful CoD release do, and thus they’ll be relying on less units at a higher price.

5) expectations: players and expectations have gone wild lately. Here we have something against the grain of your standard gaming experience (free running, 4p coop, zombie fighting, story heavy, tech pushing) and when it does finally come out, reviewers and gamers are quick to compare it merely to other AAA games rather than on its own merits.

I actually bought this game to play through with my son and I’m having a great time playing it, surpassing my expectations.
I agree with a lot of your post, but if you price a game at £55 you gotta expect you're going to be compared to other games with that price tag. Saying "they don't really expect you to pay full price" is a cop out, and game studios aren't charities that need our donations. I love to support good studios that make great games, but at £55... you're opening yourself up to be compared with the best of the best.

Back
Top Bottom