***The Official Dying Light 2 thread***

Caporegime
RT on does look a big improvement but the standard graphics in those screen shots look terrible for a modern game

Only thing letting it down are the textures imo (those are using dlss balanced too so losing a small bit of clarity/sharpness there). If having more HD/4k like textures meant sacrificing the dense lived in feel to the city i.e. less objects/assets along with variety of materials etc. and/or reducing RT, no thanks :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Question is has anyone compared non-RTX graphics at max to Dying Light 1? I have not got 1 installed but if I remember right the rasters in the first game were very good and the torch actually casts shadows whereas in this game the torch does not cast shadows which I'm assuming is a bug with or without RTX torch setting!

Soldato
Has anyone installed the latest patch 1.005?

Does it look/perform any better?
  • Fixed various game crashing bugs.
  • Added various AI improvements.
  • Fixed missing textures related issues.
  • Addressed audio issues.
  • Fixed a bug where the game fail to load on systems.
  • Addressed disconnecting co-op sessions after a certain amount of time.
  • Added performance improvements for DLSS and Ray Tracing.
  • Addressed network connection issues.
  • [Hotfix Released on PC] Addressed co-op mode disconnection issues.
  • Fixed problems with redeeming awards, codes, and other in-game content, including Twitch Drops.
  • Other minor bug fixes.

Caporegime

Maybe matt or someone who isn't using any RT could record and upload a video of this side mission to compare? It's not too far into the game, iirc, mission is in the church base talking to the guy in the corner bench at the bar.
Sure, I'll do it when I get to that mission, might take a day or two.

Soldato
You're just too used to artificial/cartoon like lighting :p
But I do get what you mean, it depends on the time of the day i.e. if sun is low in the sky with dull clouds etc. then it doesn't "pop" where as during the day with a bright blue sky, the game is overly colourful looking but this is the whole point of RT, to give realistic lighting etc., much like real life too, if it is dull/cloudy or earlier in morning with lack of sunshine, then it looks dull/bland too.
Not sure that is true, wandering around at ground level the coulour are just not there and it dos not matter whether the sun is out or not. It is not terrible but I have seen better.

Caporegime
Sure, I'll do it when I get to that mission, might take a day or two.

Cool.

I don't expect there to be a big difference for the mission/indoor bit given little to no light sources but might be interesting to see how the flashlight interacting with the environment looks.

Soldato
I'm on 1.0.3 as well.

BTW, there's some tweaks you can do to the launch options and in the HUD if it's too cluttered.

Add "-nologos" to remove the logos at the start.

Immersive HUD: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2742234080

data0.pak may take a little while to open as there are a lot of files inside. You won't find a "gui" folder per se, just look for "hud_config.scr" in the list, and open with Notepad++

I haven't looked at 5% of this so there may be a lot more that can be changed. Maybe even some textures.

Caporegime
Cool.

I don't expect there to be a big difference for the mission/indoor bit given little to no light sources but might be interesting to see how the flashlight interacting with the environment looks.
I've reinstalled Dying Light 1 too, so will try and get some screenshot comparisons between the two versions with the flashlight. @mrk

Got to say, Dying Light 1 still look decent and plays great. Not played it in years but it holds up just as good as the sequel.

I got swamped within minutes of walking round on the street and was dead in no time. :cry:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think the more I see the more it is clear that Techland just didn't bother to put much effort into the non RTX global illumination!

I've reinstalled Dying Light 1 too, so will try and get some screenshot comparisons between the two versions with the flashlight. @mrk

Got to say, Dying Light 1 still look decent and plays great. Not played it in years but it holds up just as good as the sequel.

I got swamped within minutes of walking round on the street and was dead in no time. :cry:

Nice look forward to it! I will jump back into the game later tonight as currently trying to pile through a couple more episodes of All of us are dead on Netflix (brilliant zombie/virus series by the Koreans!).

Caporegime
Don't think we need anymore comparisons given all the content/footage now... however, whilst this is quite a minor difference, it's just the little things in the scene that do it for me i.e. the candle, flood light, the corridor at the back and the pipes, just all illuminated how you would expect it to be without the light leakage.

8zlStJq.jpg

OtCV0Rd.jpg

Mentioned this in another thread but tbh, I don't think the non rt settings look "that" bad (would still say it looks better than the first games visuals when it comes to lighting etc.)

Love how all the interaction scenes with characters are always set up nicely too in terms of camera angles, setting etc. I badly want to get some ranged weapons now as melee combat is getting a little stale

p6sl9t4.png

Nb4bK8Q.png

Can't see much of a difference if I am being honest :cry::p

:cry:

4k must be wasted on your eyesight too then ;) :p

Soldato

I dont fancy coughing up £40+ for a game I might not like so I too went back to Dying Light 1. I originally played it for about an hour when it first came out and didnt like it at all so I thought why not give it another go. Its been untouched in my Steam library. Still had my saved game from years ago. Added 19 mods out of the 100 or so released and quite enjoying it so might grab DL2 when it drops in price.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
RT Torch seems to be pretty pointless but costs 5fps, is there any situation where RT Torch actually is visually great like the other RT features? Because I'm not seeing anything worthwhile for it to cost 5fps, I mean it doesn't even cast a shadow off objects anyway in this game so what is the point!

Can you guess which of these is RT Torch on vs off without looking at the fps?

0M7Ov56.jpg

62tkAaq.jpg

Associate
Don't do what I did and forget about morning in the middle of a biocentre omg :eek::)

TAA off, sharpness off, DLSS balanced, RTX on, RTX flashlight doesn't do anything? It doesn't make shadows, Valve used dynamic lighting flashlights in Lead 4 Dead in 2008. But its fun despite a few issues. I've got it on Epic and still on 1.0.3. On the whole its stable and fairly bug free. I feel like there is a missing effect when zombies walk into UV light and just crouch and finally die. And when morning comes those howler zombies just stand about and act weird. When you start upgrading its nice, but I'm not a fan of the falling damage as I come in to say hi to friendly NPCs and accidently knock em off roofs which doesn't go down well with others :)

Set off howler zombies on purpose and go for a run about on the roofs to build up XP, dash between UVs, its like GTA police rating but serval factors more pants pooping. Then when day comes the world is super easy by comparison :)

Back
Top Bottom