*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

You need open up the the C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\GraphicsConfiguaration.xml file and edit these two sections.

You only have to edit the section that applies to your settings in game, I have mine set to High in-game so I only edited the<TextureSize> entry in the <High> section. For a larger background image, just change the setting to use a texture size of 4096.

Code:
<GalaxyBackground>
    <Low>
      <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_LOW;</LocalisationName>
      <TextureSize>512</TextureSize>
    </Low>
    <Medium>
      <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_MEDIUM;</LocalisationName>
      <TextureSize>1024</TextureSize>
    </Medium>
    <High>
      <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_HIGH;</LocalisationName>
      [SIZE=5][B]<TextureSize>4096</TextureSize>[/B][/SIZE]
    </High>
  </GalaxyBackground>
To get rid of the orangey galactic core, it's the same again. Find the entry that corresponds to what you have the in-game graphics set too and edit the highlighted entry to read -0.15 Again, I'm using the High settings so I edited the entry in the <High> section.
Code:
<GalaxyMap>
    <Low>
        <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_LOW;</LocalisationName>
        <NebulasCount>10</NebulasCount>
        <NebulasInBackgroundCount>40</NebulasInBackgroundCount>
        <LowResNebulasCount>16</LowResNebulasCount>
        <HighResNebulasCount>1</HighResNebulasCount>
        <LowResNebulaDimensions>64</LowResNebulaDimensions>
        <HighResNebulaDimensions>256</HighResNebulaDimensions>
        <LowResSamplesCount>25</LowResSamplesCount>
        <HighResSamplesCount>128</HighResSamplesCount>
        <MilkyWayInstancesCount>8000</MilkyWayInstancesCount>
        <LocalDustBrightness>0.13</LocalDustBrightness>
        <MilkywayInstancesBrightness>1.5</MilkywayInstancesBrightness>
        <MilkywayInstancesSize>1.3</MilkywayInstancesSize>
        <MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>true</MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>
        <StarInstanceCount>2000</StarInstanceCount>
    </Low>
    <Medium>
        <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_MEDIUM;</LocalisationName>
        <NebulasCount>20</NebulasCount>
        <LowResSamplesCount>30</LowResSamplesCount>
        <HighResSamplesCount>110</HighResSamplesCount>
        <MilkyWayInstancesCount>12000</MilkyWayInstancesCount>
        <LocalDustBrightness>0.033</LocalDustBrightness>
        <MilkywayInstancesBrightness>1.3</MilkywayInstancesBrightness>
        <MilkywayInstancesSize>1.15</MilkywayInstancesSize>
        <MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>false</MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>
        <StarInstanceCount>2000</StarInstanceCount>
    </Medium>
    <High>
        <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_HIGH;</LocalisationName>
        <NebulasCount>30</NebulasCount>
        <LowResSamplesCount>35</LowResSamplesCount>
        <HighResSamplesCount>138</HighResSamplesCount>
        <MilkyWayInstancesCount>16000</MilkyWayInstancesCount>
        [SIZE=5][B]<LocalDustBrightness>-0.15</LocalDustBrightness>[/B][/SIZE]
        <MilkywayInstancesBrightness>1.0</MilkywayInstancesBrightness>
        <MilkywayInstancesSize>1.0</MilkywayInstancesSize>
        <MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>false</MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>
        <StarInstanceCount>4000</StarInstanceCount>
    </High>
  </GalaxyMap>
That's it.

That's great, thanks! Will implement this myself. That orange hue is just driving me nuts.

The above is not in your AppData folder. It's in the game folder itself... or at least it is for moi

Not here, mine is in AppData, I'm using the 64-bit client and the location on my system is :-

Code:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\GraphicsConfiguaration.xml
I haven't deleted it yet, but the standard 32-bit client is also in the AppData folder too:-

Code:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1010\GraphicsConfiguaration.xml
I don't have Horizons on my account though, so could that be why mine is in AppData?

The above is not in your AppData folder. It's in the game folder itself... or at least it is for moi

There are two folders in AppData for me:
This contains some config data, but only about 1.8Mb worth.
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\

and

C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\
which contains the actual game installs, with the above being the default install location.

The only other game folder is in Program Files, which is the launcher, just in case anyone else is curious and has maybe changed the install location.

I made the changes to my config file, and it does look fantastic.

Isn't the tradeoff with changing the colours that unfortunately it messes up the radar contacts colours?

It does to a degree. Friendlies and normals all look the same colour but enemies still show up red. I do find it a little off putting but using the DK2, I find the green so much better to read, so hence why I stick with it.

Hi. Just recently restarted this game up. I started from fresh and after a good few days I have managed to save up for a Hauler and added some more cargo space. I am currently Trading between systems and using Thrudds trading tool to help me on the way. What is the best ship to save up for for trading? I used to do rare trading ages ago but I can't remember what ship it was I used. I may redo the rare route again to get more money for bigger better ship. Is the Hauler any good for rare trading to start off with until I can get a bigger ship?

Hi. Just recently restarted this game up. I started from fresh and after a good few days I have managed to save up for a Hauler and added some more cargo space. I am currently Trading between systems and using Thrudds trading tool to help me on the way. What is the best ship to save up for for trading? I used to do rare trading ages ago but I can't remember what ship it was I used. I may redo the rare route again to get more money for bigger better ship. Is the Hauler any good for rare trading to start off with until I can get a bigger ship?

The Cobra is decent all rounder for trading and combat but the Type 6 is a good one for pure trading.

Yay!!! At last. Finally got to Duke and the Cutter is mine :D

How have you made so much money in the game! :O

I have a dream of flying the anaconda however I really can't nail down a good way to make creds. I made about 6mil doing combat bonds in a system but they dried out and vanished :(

Any guidance would be swell!

Trade and take on high paying missions. I find that if you don't have any high paying missions available when you start the game, then switch game modes to open play or solo depending on what you are currently in, as this refreshes the job list.

By doing this, I have revealed some 1 million credits type missions.

I've tried using a type-6 and doing runs with like 1600cred/t profit. But unless you had HUNDREDS of storage (and hundreds of millions of capital to buy) you make almost nothing back per run :/

For early on, you can do rares trading, that's what I am just starting doing and making much bigger margins. Looking at doing ir properly where you have multiple pickup and sale points, rather than just A - B and you can make a lot of money.

Isn't the tradeoff with changing the colours that unfortunately it messes up the radar contacts colours?

This is my HUD setting.

Code:
<MatrixRed>0.25, 0.12, 0.12 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen>0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue>0, 0, 0.5 </MatrixBlue>

It gives you a green NV style cockpit with things still like shields still in blue, but it also retains the radar contacts colours to the best of my abilities. Enemies show up as a dark pink rather than the standard red and friendlies are still green.

I find it to be a good compromise.

How have you made so much money in the game! :O

I have a dream of flying the anaconda however I really can't nail down a good way to make creds. I made about 6mil doing combat bonds in a system but they dried out and vanished :(

Any guidance would be swell!

It does require some serious playtime but a really good way is to get the highest rank in PowerPlay with Zac Hudson and then hit the HRES sites. I could make 20 million in 4 or 5 hours and then hand that in and it is doubled, so 40 mill. Maybe slightly exaggerating on time and could have been 6 or 7 hours but it did require some gaming time.

I now make 2.2 mill every 10 mins (ish) with the Imperial Cutter and 720 cargo but that isn't as much fun as bounty hunting.

For early on, you can do rares trading, that's what I am just starting doing and making much bigger margins. Looking at doing ir properly where you have multiple pickup and sale points, rather than just A - B and you can make a lot of money.

Any advice or hints out there on the best Rare runs (and how to keep track of the best routes as they evolve)?

Back
Top Bottom