*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Another change to ship(s) for me.
Was getting frustrated with my Python, which has great stats, but AWFUL pitch rate.
Stripped out the combat strengthening from the Python to up it's jump range and will use it as an armed hauler.
Then I re-bought a FAS, which is IMO a massively better combat vessel and I'm preferring to use it in combat, even though my Python has A rated kit, and the FAS still Bs.

BTW, found an interesting location, i.e. Vish. It's a garrison location for Duval, three jumps from a Crime sweep system (Waimiri) and one jump from (wul something or other), which has a nice hazardous res site. I'll be setting up shop here for a while.

Had 6M credits worth of slaves running from Robigo during all the disconnections. Took way longer to jump the 380 light years than it should have and then to cap it all I got scanned whilst sneaking into my first drop off. Epic Fail.

FAS you say... how come?

Personal preference.
My present opinion is that if you want to do long range smuggling, take an Asp

Haulers now seem to be dead meat with the recent changes to interdiction. I've no idea how pure traders now get by.
You want haulage, use an Anaconda if you have the cash, then the Python, Asp and finally Cobra (in descending order). The simple point being that I believe that traders now need to be able to defend themselves against interdiction.
IMO, none of the above are brilliant combat vessels. I've not used the Anaconda, but it does appear to be a bigger, upgraded Python.

The Python really confused me, mainly because of forum comments. Sure, it has plenty of power, guns and shields. However it's pitch rate (IMO) precludes it from being a great close combat ship. When I used it in combat, I spent a huge amount of time shifting power pips around to try to balance shields, turn rate (to get an enemy back under fire) and weapons. It can be done, but it's a compromise. With the FAS, even 1 pip in Engines gives it a good turn rate.

The FAS is like a slightly worse Python for guns and shields. However, it turns like a Vulture/Viper, meaning that it's quite possible to get in close and stay behind most enemy ships. So even though it's got less outright firepower, I found it much easier to kill ships faster. Then you can add on that it has a SHED load of HPs and can be well up-armoured with hull re-inforcements. So you might lose shields, but unless you're a bit of a mug, I think it would take some real carelessness to lose one in combat. Lastly, it's a LOT cheaper to fully equip than say a Python.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it as a trader, just too small a cargo bay, and poor jump range, but as a pure combat ship, I'm unaware of anything genuinely better unless you include say the Corvette, which is probably 10 times the cost.

Last edited:
Had 6M credits worth of slaves running from Robigo during all the disconnections. Took way longer to jump the 380 light years than it should have and then to cap it all I got scanned whilst sneaking into my first drop off. Epic Fail.

I had a similar thing as well and only for the scan to say "apologies commander and you are clean" meh! Right at the end of the mission as well :(

Arrrgghhhh This game is doing my head in.. I managed to trade a while in my Cobra and earn enough for the Type 6. I did a bit of trading in a few systems and got pulled out of hyper space and as soon as I submitted my shields went. Hull vanished and blew up. I had the insurance covered but lost 800k of cargo. I did another trade to different system with less value cargo, as I did not have enough as before. Same again. Got killed. I had weapons etc but no chance of fighting back.

I went and got a Viper. Kitted it out and did a few Nav kills, around 300k worth of bounty, I accidentally hit a good guy security geezer and got c600 bounty on my head. I zipped off to nearest station to hand in bounties and found out I was being shot at. I didnt even think to look and juts automatically requested docking. I died.

Got my old Cobra back. Kitted it out big time and now bounty hunting and getting some cash for saving for next venture.

I always tend to drop off at the smaller stations before I go for the letterbox types, tend to get scanned less, if that helps...

Back
Top Bottom