*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Viper Mk3. I tried a Vulture for all of 20 mins. Didn't like it. Back in the Viper

I'm using 2 turreted beam laser up top and 2 gimbled multi cannons underneath at present

Maneuverable ships dont need turrets chap.
I ran gimbled multi's top and gimbled burst I thin kit was in the bottoms.

Slightly bizarrely, I got a song stuck in my head earlier, and was having trouble placing it - eventually I remembered what it was: The main theme from Frontier: Elite 2!
Now you've got it stuck in my head, so I went back and watched the intro again on YouTube; still a classic!

I like your idea of dynamic music choice to fit in with in-game events, don't know how it could be done without developer support however.

Agreed - I think the developer would have to do it. They clearly already have dynamic, event driven music - as well as that cap ship video, it noticeably happens sometimes when jumping in to a station. But allowing the user the define which piece of music would be a step further.

Anyone got suggestions for a good weapon loadout on an Asp Explorer? One that allows for max damage without constantly overheating / draining the weapons power?

At the moment I'm on medium gimballed pulse and 4 small gimballed multicannons. The Asp seems to manage power better than my previous Cobra though (despite not yet having an A class power plant) so wondering whether I could switch to beams up top without stressing it too much? And should I swap two of the smalls to something 'different' for unusual occasions. Rail guns? Missile pylons?

And should I swap two of the smalls to something 'different' for unusual occasions. Rail guns? Missile pylons?
Rail guns are a lot of fun, and punch well above their weight for the class of hardpoint they're attached to; they're not easy to use though, and generate a fair bit of heat.

If you just want the easiest layout for clearing a RES with minimal effort then you should probably just stick with what you have, if however you want to test your skills and make combat a little bit more challenging then switching some of your multi-cannons out for rail guns should provide a more rewarding experience once you're over the learning curve.

Viper Mk3. I tried a Vulture for all of 20 mins. Didn't like it. Back in the Viper

I'm using 2 turreted beam laser up top and 2 gimbled multi cannons underneath at present

Try having three pulse lasers and one cannon. Use the cannon (fire group 2) to hit the power plant. Make sure you're targetting that subsystem. Use your ship's nimbleness to stick close to the larger target. Avoid going after small prey. Stick with Pythons and Anacondas. They're worth loads

Also try using a Kill Warrant Scanner. That helps collect bounties from other systems and can sometimes add 200%+ to the bounty

I'm happy to add you to friends and come bounty hunting with you.

Last edited:
Thanks, will check these out. I confess I'm looking for something quite carebear to start with. I don't mind some PvP if I get competent, but right now I'm cannon fodder and a free cargo scoop :)

im head of trade and training at xYz and a member of the black fleet which is our combat wing...we do a lot of back ground sim as well and player driven events like fight club which all you need is a eagle 1v1...we have a crazy taxi event coming up which is yellow or black hauler fitted for 1v1 combat,just for laughs

Try having three pulse lasers and one cannon. Use the cannon (fire group 2) to hit the power plant. Make sure you're targetting that subsystem. Use your ship's nimbleness to stick close to the larger target. Avoid going after small prey. Stick with Pythons and Anacondas. They're worth loads

Also try using a Kill Warrant Scanner. That helps collect bounties from other systems and can sometimes add 200%+ to the bounty

I'm happy to add you to friends and come bounty hunting with you.

I'll give that a go. I already have a KWS. Which means I have outstanding bounties to collect ALL over the universe...lol

So I bought Horizons a while back but haven't been remotely interested in driving an SRV or planetary landings. Anyone else find themselves in the same boat... I mean ship?

So I bought Horizons a while back but haven't been remotely interested in driving an SRV or planetary landings. Anyone else find themselves in the same boat... I mean ship?

There's a good reason to go planetside. You can mine materials with your srv that allow you to buff your ship temporarily. Also it's just fun!

Thanks, will check these out. I confess I'm looking for something quite carebear to start with. I don't mind some PvP if I get competent, but right now I'm cannon fodder and a free cargo scoop :)

Mobius might suit you. Big pve private group. Like open play but not pvp.

I run 2 med beams and 4 multi on my asp. I did try the rasp build, but the heat was an issue. Maybe go 2 med beams, 2 rail gun, and 2 cannon. That would be a fun build (set fire groups so you have beams as primary in each group, then the secondary as either cannon or rails).

Oh yeah, also you'll want at least a basic discovery scanner to find the planet. If you can't find it in the Nav panel, you need to scan for it and the do a proper scan of the planet by selecting and looking at it to reveal the station. Scanning systems is actually pretty cool. One system I landed in seemed to be empty but for the star. I scanned it and it turns out there were 42 other planets there. 42! All sorts of hidden awesome out there for you to find.

I had no idea this was how it worked! Thanks for this, at least there was a reason behind not finding the right planet, and not just a bug! I'll keep at it!

I had no idea this was how it worked! Thanks for this, at least there was a reason behind not finding the right planet, and not just a bug! I'll keep at it!

I thought the same myself. I had to Google where a station was and someone had explained that you needed to scan for it. Basic discovery is usually fine, but advanced is better just in case it's miles away.

Mining Trip last night sprung up a good find :)

I went back with over 100 tonnes of platinum amongst palladium and painite :)

Found most asteroids that contained the Platinum to be around 45% and up most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom