*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
I hope we aren't pushed into doing a char' creation, as I doubt we're allowed to reset it so I'd want to do it right for something I can tolerate forever/long time, but wouldn't want to be locked out of play until created. Time'll tell.

You will be allowed to change it as often as you like so long as you are in a ship that allows access to the Holo-Me suite which is basically all ships apart from fighters and srv's.

Associate
You will be allowed to change it as often as you like so long as you are in a ship that allows access to the Holo-Me suite which is basically all ships apart from fighters and srv's.

Ah groovy, was half expecting it to end up being a "nth charge to change your looks" thing hehe.

Associate
The un shown content will no doubt be alien/thargoid related.

Or Guardian perhaps… shame it ain't walking but heck, we got characters now so getting there.

P.S. If wanting to speed up the rank grind, give this a shot.

This grind is a loop between

HIP 10716 and
Wu Guinagi
Distance: 11.9 ly

Mission types

Data delivery
Cargo missions

Cool, thanks! I'll check it out as I need to head off to my fractions space for powerplay merits soon anyway. I'm currently based at Achenar which gives only Imperial missions at its boards so I go from Dawes down the line of stations until I have 20 courier missions for 3-4 systems. From Squire to Knight took about 3 days and I am at over 60% on Knight after 2 days. So looking good so far. Once I've got my Imp Clipper (hopefully by next weekend, fingers crosses) I'll probably do some more engineer unlocking… but for now I'm rather enjoying it around the Empire's capital tbh!

Associate
Or Guardian perhaps… shame it ain't walking but heck, we got characters now so getting there.

Cool, thanks! I'll check it out as I need to head off to my fractions space for powerplay merits soon anyway. I'm currently based at Achenar which gives only Imperial missions at its boards so I go from Dawes down the line of stations until I have 20 courier missions for 3-4 systems. From Squire to Knight took about 3 days and I am at over 60% on Knight after 2 days. So looking good so far. Once I've got my Imp Clipper (hopefully by next weekend, fingers crosses) I'll probably do some more engineer unlocking… but for now I'm rather enjoying it around the Empire's capital tbh!

Think it took me 2-3 days of doing that run to get Baron with the occasional "I'm bored, grabbing something else" moments.
There's also some quest to data scan some planet, usually good money. Stack those, grab SRV & enjoy the change of scenery. Also gives rep' if I recall. Have the highest scanner to scan in system & it'll show you which planet, it was one of furthest out.

Associate
what is the best ship for travelling on a budget? my current ship is an asp explorer with a range of 27/28 light year jumps. is there anything cheaper that could be upgraded to have more?

keep in mind that it would be strictly for travelling and not fighting, with bare minimum cargo space ... 4 to 8 tonnes or even 16 if the ship would allow it.

maybe there is something cheaper that could go further? or if I have to pay a bit more than the price of the explorer that would be good.

last thing to mention, I made the best discovery ever in elite dangerous ... the option to check for fastest route, deffinitely made the game easy to move about.

Associate
what is the best ship for travelling on a budget?
Sorry, but I'll have to leave that to someone who knows what they're talking about! :)

last thing to mention, I made the best discovery ever in elite dangerous ... the option to check for fastest route, deffinitely made the game easy to move about.
I know! It took me about a fortnight to notice it & it's pretty much doubled the amount of things I can do in game in the time I have! :D The Galaxy map should probably flag it up or you get a message about it when you first start… it's a small thing that really does make a huge difference to gameplay imho!

Associate
Don't forget to also set stars to only KGBFOAM letters.
They're the scoopable ones, also make sure to uncheck & check again the plot route button below those.
It can some times improve the route.

Soldato
Folks, I played Elite on and off over the years but I never experienced the "exploration" aspect of the game.

Can someone please let me know if my understanding is correct?

Pick a location at some point in the galaxy and then just Hyperspace there, scooping fuel along the way?
Anything else to it?
(Just trying to understand what is the appeal in this, because clearly I am missing something basic).

Soldato
You're missing the journey.

Get out there and discover a system never visited before in game. Find the earth-like planet in a binary configuration with a small metallic world. Land drive around, look at the view of the earth-like planet against the background of the milky way.

It's about finding the romance and the immersion. People get obsessed with the grind and lose the story.

If you do, then sure it is jump, honk, scoop, jump, honk, scoop.

Soldato
Have been away from this for so long... wouldn't know where to start if I got back into it :|
From scratch, if needs be.
Just go for a bimble around, see where you end up and what you end up doing, be it missions, mining, bounty hunting or whatever. Maybe try some of teh Community Goals.
I've been playing since Beta and *still* haven't gotten around to even trying so many things!!

Associate
what is the best ship for travelling on a budget? my current ship is an asp explorer with a range of 27/28 light year jumps. is there anything cheaper that could be upgraded to have more?

keep in mind that it would be strictly for travelling and not fighting, with bare minimum cargo space ... 4 to 8 tonnes or even 16 if the ship would allow it.

maybe there is something cheaper that could go further? or if I have to pay a bit more than the price of the explorer that would be good.

The Asp is prince of the explorers, next only to the Exploraconda. Despite having the latter, I will never sell my Asp. Although, I only tend to use it within the bubble, these days. Mine does a hair shy of 50LY. That's with an engineered FSD, of course.

Soldato
You're missing the journey.

Get out there and discover a system never visited before in game. Find the earth-like planet in a binary configuration with a small metallic world. Land drive around, look at the view of the earth-like planet against the background of the milky way.

It's about finding the romance and the immersion. People get obsessed with the grind and lose the story.

If you do, then sure it is jump, honk, scoop, jump, honk, scoop.

But is there really much diversity in going from system to system? Do you fly around the system and just take in sights?

Whatabout the whole "making money out of exploration aspect"? How is this done?

From scratch, if needs be.
Just go for a bimble around, see where you end up and what you end up doing, be it missions, mining, bounty hunting or whatever. Maybe try some of teh Community Goals.
I've been playing since Beta and *still* haven't gotten around to even trying so many things!!
Mmm, Im just afraid if I pick this up Im still going to go back to just pewpewing rather than the other stuff... I do want to try mining and the rest but...

Soldato
Whatabout the whole "making money out of exploration aspect"? How is this done?
Fit the right scanners to your ship (don't ask me which ones, but read the descriptions in the Outfitting. Tells you all you need to know).
Every time you jump into a system, scan it with the Discovery scanner. That will find you all the planetary bodies. You then use the other ones (surface scanner, I think) to scan them. It might be slightly different nowadays, but that's basically how it's done.

You then have some scan data.
The further you take this data from source, the more it is worth and that's where the money is.

Give you an idea - I went 110Ly last night. Each time I entered a system along the way I fired off the basic discovery scanner. Just the basic one that all ships come with. I didn't stray from the main star or anything, either. Just drop in, fuel scoop, "bibblebibblebibble-BOOOOOOM" and then jump to the next system.
A few jumps later, I get to my destination, dock and sell the data at the Cartographics bit in the station menu. It sold for 35,000Cr and these are all known, discovered, populated systems.
Now imagine travelling 6,000Ly to places never before discovered and selling all that data - People make millions... plus you get your name on it if you're the first.

Mmm, Im just afraid if I pick this up Im still going to go back to just pewpewing rather than the other stuff... I do want to try mining and the rest but...
Then try it.
Do some missions and things to get money, kit yourself out a mining ship and off you go.
There's no deadline by which you must have all these things done, really. Getting to Elite rank is just one step in one of many possible goals and even then, it's supposed to take you ages.

Associate
2.3 Beta out tomorrow (hopefully), looking forward to all the video reviews etc… decided not to buy in (Ryzen). I'm still making my way up to Baron… Achenar is great! Gone up 2 ranks in a week & a bit… 10-15% per hour due to all the courier missions you can stack! Imperial Clipper come to me! Then I'm going to be rather silly and 'persuade'/blackmail someone in being a wing man whilst I check out the War with Federation location.

Had the usual battles & yesterday was in the need of some strong fast acting Vulture repellent!…

Back
Top Bottom