*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
I have been playing the game since release. I can happily confirm that, after finally being able to get a GPU that will do it justice (1080ti), playing Elite with a Rift VR headset is simply incredible and you just do not realise, see or can experience the game fully without it.

If you are a long term player like myself and have not at least tried it, I would encourage you to seek out a rig with a Rift. I am not saying that playing the game is not worthwhile without VR, it almost certainly is, its just that you won't see the game in the same light again. I have a new found appreciation of what the Frontier team have accomplished.

Associate
Replace set challenges yourself with GRIND to complete those challenges.

Elite's always been like that & some games aren't designed to be completed in 24 hours which is one reason why I'm still playing it. Perhaps ED isn't for you then.

I have been playing the game since release. I can happily confirm that, after finally being able to get a GPU that will do it justice (1080ti), playing Elite with a Rift VR headset is simply incredible and you just do not realise, see or can experience the game fully without it.

Everyone with VR confirms that… unfortunately I think Vega (if rumoured performance is true) will likely blow what remains of my PC component budget for the next 3 years. The most important question though is… are you using the Hattie Hayridge HSC voice pack? & is your ship's paintjob red? :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I have put my time into Elite... Its still the same nothing to do really nothing to do the goal is repetitive beyond belief. Its play for a day and leave for 4 months till the next update for more grindy content.

The A rated corvette is parked in SOL system waiting for excitement.

Soldato
OK getting back in ED. Just spend 2 hours sorting out my controls and macros as I had lost the back up file..... :mad:

A few new things added since I last played and I can't be bothered to wade through ED forum so I have some questions please.

Can I store engineer modules once upgraded?

Best recourse for engineers info?

Best current medium multirole ship?

Whilst I love my vulture, I think I am done with bounty hunting for a while...

Much appreciated.

Since I last played I have upgraded GFX card and the game looks stunning now at ultra settings...

Soldato
Its still the same nothing to do really nothing to do the goal is repetitive beyond belief.
Bit like your posts, then...!! :p
Seriously, if it's THAT BAD, why are you wasting your life on such stupidity and wasting forum posts on the same old rant, when you can be up to something more enjoyable... reading a book, watching a film, getting laid perhaps....?
Seize control of your life, step up, be a man, make the change. You can do this. You have the power to empower yourself.

The A rated corvette is parked in SOL system waiting for excitement.
Ah, so you have completed the game and are Elite in everything and have every ship ever ever ever, all rated A and have everything you want.
You're done.
Your game is over.
Go play something else.
Harping on about it here will do NOTHING to change this and I can (and did) say the same thing about plenty of other games far sooner than with Elite.

Jeez... This is what it is. Like it or leave it.

Soldato
Can I store engineer modules once upgraded? - Yes, from memory you can store up to 60 modules.

Best recourse for engineers info? - I use http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/1

Best current medium multirole ship? - Python, hands down. Its probably the best ship in the game imho. It can actually out-trade a T9 heavy with the right outpost trade loop. It packs a punch and has decent jump range.

Whilst I love my vulture, I think I am done with bounty hunting for a while... - Nice to have an FDL on hand in the garage, just in case (you can now move your 2nd ships,(up to around 30 ships ?) around just like modules - for a fee of course)

My answers above.

Associate
Hmm. I know a fair few were excited at the prospect at naming their ships, but it's a tad dodgy. Technically, you can name your ship & it'll be known in game, but only in the UI or when someone scans you.

The only way to get your ships name actually visible on your ship, is to pay for it. Although paying for ship naming does give you it for all of yours ships.

"Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work

Hi everyone,

There’s been a number of questions from Commanders regarding ship naming and how ship name plates will work so we wanted to give you a little more information about how these features will work when they’re released.

In-game ship naming

When you have named your ship in-game, your ship name will appear in multicrew grouping and in your HUD. In addition to this, in beta 5, when other people scan you, or target you in space they will be able to see your ship name in their UI. This feature will be available for all players of Elite Dangerous (both base game and Horizons players) including Xbox One, upcoming PS4 release and PC Commanders.

Cosmetic Ship Name Plates

The ship name plates will offer an added layer of cosmetic personalisation for Commanders wanting to wear their name with pride, much like paint jobs and other cosmetics currently available in the store.

Name plates will be made available in themed packs. These packs will contain three designs, each of which will be available in three colours: black, white, and grey. This makes a total of 9 nameplates per pack. After purchase, each pack will be available for use across all of your ships (Ship launched fighters and SRVs don’t have name plates) and each pack of 9 variant plates will be coming into store at just £2/€2.5/$3. This means that purchasing one pack of name plates will allow you to use that style across all of your current and future ships, at the same time and rename each individual ship as many times as you like. We believe this flexibility offers Commanders great value and is a great way to help support the continued development of Elite Dangerous.

Thanks!"

Soldato
My answers above.

Yeah I am back in my Python.

The module storage is great,

However

I had my combat rank reset today. I was deadly with 20% left to Elite however that was attained way back. I struggled when engineers came out but after being nearly being murdered eveytime I lost an interdiction today, it was either reset or give up.
I am not going to "git gud" before anybody spouts that ******** either, I am not good as the game plays now and I will not get any better.

Spent this evening trucking missions, getting into scrapes and enjoying the game once again. Without having to high wake away from psycho Elite NPC's after my cargo of survival equipment....

Soldato
Hmm. I know a fair few were excited at the prospect at naming their ships, but it's a tad dodgy. Technically, you can name your ship & it'll be known in game, but only in the UI or when someone scans you.
What's "dodgy" about that?
Unless you get right up close to a ship, I'd only expect to see their name in the UI anyway...

You mean the payments?
I suppose it'd've been good to have one basic free Nameplate, perhaps, as all ships come with one basic paint job.... But I don't begrudge FD their little store transactions. They seem to be doing those pretty well, compared to some other games, for the most part.
I question the bobbleheads (aside from the actual Braben one, which is just hilarious) as I don't understand the reference/relevance, and I think the ship kits are mostly stupid little stick-on fins that make absolutely no difference to the ship... But I like the paintjob idea, weapon colours and so on.
Would be good to see some kind of customisable paint job/pattern/template thingy, perhaps, but may be difficult to stop people from putting 'little willies' and things on there.

I had my combat rank reset today. I was deadly with 20% left to Elite however that was attained way back. I struggled when engineers came out but after being nearly being murdered eveytime I lost an interdiction today, it was either reset or give up. I am not going to "git gud" before anybody spouts that ******** either, I am not good as the game plays now and I will not get any better.
Bit of a bummer... did you request it be reset?
I'm not an amazing pilot myself and have really struggled with some NPCs after the restat.
If you merely want to hike your ranking up, you can still find and pick off lower NPCs.

You don't have to "get good" so much as just get smart, at least as far as combats and interdictions go - If you're being interdicted, submit immediately and focus on just boosting out and jumping back to Cruise before they can get to attacking you properly, for example.
If you want the combat rewards, maybe for a community goal or something, pick fights where you're supported by other players or even NPC cops and the like - Let them do most of the work and chip in a few shots near the end of each opponent. You get the bounties for helping and you get the kill count if your shot is the fatal one.
Don't fight good, fight smart.

Soldato
Unless you get right up close to a ship, I'd only expect to see their name in the UI anyway...

You mean the payments?
I suppose it'd've been good to have one basic free Nameplate, perhaps, as all ships come with one basic paint job.... But I don't begrudge FD their little store transactions. They seem to be doing those pretty well, compared to some other games, for the most part.
I question the bobbleheads (aside from the actual Braben one, which is just hilarious) as I don't understand the reference/relevance, and I think the ship kits are mostly stupid little stick-on fins that make absolutely no difference to the ship... But I like the paintjob idea, weapon colours and so on.
Would be good to see some kind of customisable paint job/pattern/template thingy, perhaps, but may be difficult to stop people from putting 'little willies' and things on there.

Bit of a bummer... did you request it be reset?
I'm not an amazing pilot myself and have really struggled with some NPCs after the restat.
If you merely want to hike your ranking up, you can still find and pick off lower NPCs.

You don't have to "get good" so much as just get smart, at least as far as combats and interdictions go - If you're being interdicted, submit immediately and focus on just boosting out and jumping back to Cruise before they can get to attacking you properly, for example.
If you want the combat rewards, maybe for a community goal or something, pick fights where you're supported by other players or even NPC cops and the like - Let them do most of the work and chip in a few shots near the end of each opponent. You get the bounties for helping and you get the kill count if your shot is the fatal one.
Don't fight good, fight smart.

That was the issue, I enjoy a good fight and spend 100's of hours killing stuff but after PL, having to beat up Deadly and Elite interdictor's it got tiring very soon. I am happy to High wake but the constant use of Rail guns and their very aggressive tactics makes it very feel less immersive.

I am not saying I don't want to fight, I do and I am sure I will be back into RES and community goals at some point but when it is always loss of shields and high wake then it get's unbalanced.

As it is I am very happy with my choice, I have been interdicted 4 times today, submitted once and was an easy kill. unlike before I had the reset.

Anyway, thank to ED support and thanks to CMDR Tronador and CMDR Asterix for sorting it out.... took 1 hour from raising the ticket.

Soldato
That was the issue, I enjoy a good fight and spend 100's of hours killing stuff but after PL, having to beat up Deadly and Elite interdictor's it got tiring very soon.
As so many have said - They call it Elite: Dangerous for a reason... :D

Thing is, I could take down a string of Anacondas all by myself in just a piddly little Vulture. Much as I hate it, the stats were imbalanced and needed addressing. Obviously, this helps drive people toward the Engineers upgrades, too, much as I hate that as well with all the numbers and dice rolls and stuff. Can't say I've found that much difference yet, myself.

I am happy to High wake but the constant use of Rail guns and their very aggressive tactics makes it very feel less immersive.
It's also a drawback of ranking up - NPCs are not usually retarded and most low ranking ones will run a mile when they see your Deadly on their screens. The only NPCs with the balls and the kit to take you on will be those Deadlies and Elites tanked up to the nines!
You have to choose your battles more wisely now and running away is more often the best course of action.

I am not saying I don't want to fight, I do and I am sure I will be back into RES and community goals at some point but when it is always loss of shields and high wake then it get's unbalanced.
And again, it's about fighting smart not being better... along with better ship outfitting, of course.

I generally find that you can submit and be boosting almost completely out of range before the interdictor can even straighten themselves out to start firing on you. Upgrade a few things, like shield (and booster cells), power plant, thrusters etc and you are long gone.

Associate
I have no problem with the way ship naming is being implemented & only knowing it when a ship is scanned makes sense. As for the cosmetic element, I agree about 99.99% of the time other players are unlikely to see it… it is just for those who want to personalise their ship and/or support the game.

You have to choose your battles more wisely now and running away is more often the best course of action

I'll give just about any battle a go, but running away I'll happily do rather than lose my ship & cargo.

Associate

You mean the payments?

It's more that this is supposed to be another part of the season pass & the only cosmetic part that you have to pay for, is black, white or grey. This means they're going to drag out future colours later down the road (if at all?) instead of doing them all now. Also, black-white-grey is most likely going to be hidden by paint jobs, unless they're putting some outline to the fonts. Hmm, wonder if there'll also be different fonts in future too.

As for a freebie, I guess they could've at least released a basic one for everyone too.

Back
Top Bottom