*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
How about you tell us what kept you entertained for over a thousand hours? While you're at it can you name a few other games that you've played for that length of time and still aren't boring?

Associate
I have over 1000 hrs in this game since Kickstarter/Alpha and ive not played for about 18 months until i logged in the other day to play the shoddy engineers which was crap....so yes i dont need anybody to tell me and im more than qualified to say that it is a borefest. You guys that try to defend it are not fooling anybody apart from the young Padawans that are new to playing. If you enjoy this game then please enlighten me with what to do as im all ears, im being serious, because i find anything i do a complete and utter borefest so bad that its not even worth playing. Not to mention its broken features.....also the new roadmap of updating planetary polygons, why the hell didnt they do that in the beginning? Another massive Meh!

The grindfest is tedious indeed. You only have to look at how bad some of it is implemented to see that, like when you have to fly 5kly from starting point to unlock FSD boost for engineers, but you of course also have to fly back 5kly & just hope you have the mats.

When I'd got sick of it, I decided to drop kick all of it & just headed to the stars. The 20kly plotting now is handy (when it works).
I managed to find a scenic planet at one point.
View attachment p8qfiiQ.jpg

Then I drove around for a while & I found....sod all really. Canisters several thousand light years from anywhere that were still considered illegal salvage. A downed satellite that couldn't be scanned or anything & rocks. Lots & lots of rocks & that was all.

I was in another nebula in one area. Leading up to the nebula was a nice view, but once inside didn't think much to it.

I'd recommend going to the stars, just don't really expect much & make sure you have some music or a podcast playing in the background.

Having said that, it's long time since I bothered loading ED, no rush to do so again until things change.

Permabanned
How about you tell us what kept you entertained for over a thousand hours? While you're at it can you name a few other games that you've played for that length of time and still aren't boring?
What you think i did, i grinded until i couldnt grind no more, hence bored of it.
BF2 i have 2600HRS...probably the only game i enjoyed way past 1000 hrs however they dont makes games like that anymore.

Soldato
Then I drove around for a while & I found....sod all really. Canisters several thousand light years from anywhere that were still considered illegal salvage. A downed satellite that couldn't be scanned or anything & rocks. Lots & lots of rocks & that was all.

Yea thats the main thing that annoys me about the game. The same generic spawning mechanic used all over the galaxy, spawning things in every single system and on every planet when clearly no one has ever been there before.

We were told it was a placeholder system back in alpha, but they never replaced it with something better. It's to obviously scripted and doesn't make the galaxy feel authentic :/

Permabanned
Yea thats the main thing that annoys me about the game. The same generic spawning mechanic used all over the galaxy, spawning things in every single system and on every planet when clearly no one has ever been there before.

We were told it was a placeholder system back in alpha, but they never replaced it with something better. It's to obviously scripted and doesn't make the galaxy feel authentic :/
If the galaxy does not feel authentic then whats the point in travelling out there wasting time to find the same things that you can find in SOL. YAWN zzZZzz

Soldato

When was the last time you were out there? You'll be lucky to find anything at all these days as the POI and USS system takes into account how far you are from civilisation.

Soldato
You still find random crap all over the place though. Theres 100s of billions of planets, the chances of finding anything at all should be so tiny it just wouldn't happen.

Soldato
That's not my experience at all, when I was out at Colonia before it was anything more than just Jaques station I spent hours hunting for Barnacle sites and never saw anything other than rocks and meteorites.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Previous versions of elite had everything included from day 1.

None of this season's rubbish, merging etc etc.

Soldato
Previous versions of elite had everything included from day 1.

None of this season's rubbish, merging etc etc.

But everything the old games had is already in there. Except atmospheric planets, but when they do add them they will look a lot better than they did before :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
How many hours do you have in this boring grindfest SPG?

Deadly
Elite
Elite

I will never need money again, unless I crash the entire fleet of engineered ships 30 or 40 times.

I have grinded away since alpha. (The smaller bubble was way more fun)

So let's be honest when opportunities came along to speed all that up I took it. Apart from combat rank.

Soldato
I see this is currently on Steam for £19.99. Do we know if that's a permanent price drop or just for the holiday season.

Either way I might now buy just to see what it's all about and to do some... grinding!

Associate
I see this is currently on Steam for £19.99. Do we know if that's a permanent price drop or just for the holiday season.

Either way I might now buy just to see what it's all about and to do some... grinding!

That's just for Elite Dangerous & not the Horizons Season Pass which includes a lot of content such as Engineers and landings on planets without atmospheres so I personally wouldn't recommend just the base game. The price for both is £39.99 for Commander Deluxe Edition or £39.98 for just ED + Horizons.

Soldato
Folks... just a question about SRVs...

Yep all good fun.. .Zipping around a planet.
Is there any critical game missions which depends solely on SRVs?

I noticed skimmer missions but you can still kill skimmers from the air.

Back
Top Bottom