*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Hi Guys.. tempted to pick this up (Hopefully there are some cheap deals around). I know I'm very late to the game :)

This is a PC thread I know, but I have an Xbox and PS4 also, which platform do you think is best to get it on for a new player?

Soldato
I highly recommend the T flight X. It is superb quality for the price. It does has a lack of buttons but this is easily solved by using one button as a modifier key. This way there is plenty of buttons for everything needed.

Soldato
I highly recommend the T flight X. It is superb quality for the price. It does has a lack of buttons but this is easily solved by using one button as a modifier key. This way there is plenty of buttons for everything needed.

I use a slightly modified config I found online, created by "Cmdr Smacker"

It uses the 4 buttons on the front of the throttle as modifiers and you can map every function, works really well!

Considering you can buy the Hotas X new for £37.99, I'd definitely say it's worth the extra £13 over just the stick

Soldato
Joystick and keyboard user here. A Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 stick to be precise. I find it best to combine the joystick along with my left hand permanently on the keyboard in the WASD area. This means I only use the 4 joystick buttons + POV hat on the actual stick, and none of those on the base or the joystick throttle, although the throttle can be used when I want fine control in no stress situations. I also use an XBox pad for driving and have the mouse for general headlooking and in the galaxy/system map and other bits and bobs. I am still tweaking it, may move the UI panels to the F1-4 keys to reduce the risk of accidentally firing a sink or shield cell, but it does the job. I also made sure to use the flight landing overrides to remap the A and D keys to lateral thrusters so I don't accidentally hot 100% throttle with touching down. I made a keymap jpeg to stick on my wall, copied below for anyone interested.

FmaI9NX.jpg

Associate
I use a slightly modified config I found online, created by "Cmdr Smacker"

It uses the 4 buttons on the front of the throttle as modifiers and you can map every function, works really well!

Considering you can buy the Hotas X new for £37.99, I'd definitely say it's worth the extra £13 over just the stick

Same setup I use for my hotas X. The modifiers are logical and didn't take me long to get use to, even after large periods of not playing I can still remember the controls. Link here to the thread on the elite forum.

Soldato
So did I understand correctly that the new engineers update will basically mean even more grinding?
Or am I looking at this too black and white and the devil is in the detail?

Think it's a yes and no answer to that. There are more steps in that you have to get every lvl of an upgrade but it's been offset by being able to get some materials easier (material trader) and being able to remote engineer some stuff. Know you will still need to collect stuff but this should help it not be such a long process.

I 'think' it will be much better, but I guess we need to try it out first hand for ourselves to see whether we like it or not. At least they have listened and tried something though, that's what I'm taking from it.

This beyond update has been a very good move on FD's part imo :)

Associate
Hi Guys.. tempted to pick this up (Hopefully there are some cheap deals around). I know I'm very late to the game :)

This is a PC thread I know, but I have an Xbox and PS4 also, which platform do you think is best to get it on for a new player?

PC as you can have access to betas plus you have more control options. Don't think it is currently on sale anywhere unfortunately.

So did I understand correctly that the new engineers update will basically mean even more grinding?
Or am I looking at this too black and white and the devil is in the detail?

It'll be a lot faster imho. You visit the engineer once, buy your special effect & pin the blueprint so you can just engineer your module where ever you want plus with the material/data trader you'll probably not need to sit in SC for 30mins trying to get the correct HGE to spawn. Also graphically it is a lot better & it is really easy to understand for new players & the answer to it not being a grind is don't grind. You don't need to 'complete the game' in 24 hours - it is not designed to be played that way & never has.

Associate
Getting a HOTAS (x52) absolutely transformed the game for me. I was happy enough using an xbox controller with roccat powergrid on an ipad, but I need neither now. I'm enjoying Elite much more.

Next step....VR!

Associate
Still waiting on my HOTAS annoyingly but haven't had any time this week anyway.

In the mean time, any good guides out there for beginners? I feel like I'm coming into this game quite late and there are lots of things that are common knowledge to older players.

Soldato
Still waiting on my HOTAS annoyingly but haven't had any time this week anyway.

In the mean time, any good guides out there for beginners? I feel like I'm coming into this game quite late and there are lots of things that are common knowledge to older players.

Yea, here ya go. Not sure how up-to date it is, but still should help. http://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/website/assets/English-PlayersGuide-Latest.pdf

Thread on official forums with links to guides etc too https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/321074-Alec-s-best-of-the-forum-(and-elsewhere)-thread

Soldato
Maybe I didn't explain well sorry.
I mean does it use exactly the same credentials? I.e. does it use the same commander you are using now and any progress you rack up in the beta will be carried over or lost?

Associate
Fdev took captures of all players account at some point recently. They use that in the beta.
Nothing you do in beta changes anything you do in normal mode.

Back
Top Bottom