*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
I have seen comments elsewhere that it is actually better to use the mouse for control if you are using fixed weapons. Never tried myself so I don't know why particularly but I imagine it will be a "twitch" thing just prior to shooting which the mouse is obviously better at. For me I see no use for fixed weapons in normal PvE, unless you are just trying the variety of rail guns and the like. I haven't bothered tackling Thargoids yet myself but I gather the best weapons to use against them are fixed anyway, so will have to learn at some point, but for now gimballed far outweigh fixed for the minimizing frustration.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
What is this Bug for farming materials btw ?

I have just about used up all my resources on swapping the old Corvette load-out for the new engineers, just another 6 ships to do...........Actually i might just do the Anaconda, DBX bubble hopper, ASP explorer and Fer De Lance, I am amazed on how much i did the old engineer grind :(

Soldato
You want to check out Down to Earth Astromy's web site for material gathering tips if you haven't already, his info is very practical and to the point. Off the top of my head the main stays of material hot spots are the Dav's Hope site for manufactured materials up to grade 3-4, the Anaconda crash sites for raw materials up to grade 5(there are two main sites for gr5, one with awkward terrain and one with ok terrain but 90K ls from the star), and the Jameson crashed cobra site for very efficient data materials up to grade 5 as well. All these sites can be refreshed with a log off/on. Google these to find the exact systems where they are, D2EA did a vid on the Jameson site quite recently.

You can also grind passenger missions for the grade 5 manufactured materials exquisite focus crystals/biotech conductors on mass(sort of), and cross trade these at a material trader for the awkward USS only grade 5 manufactured materials. A Python stuffed with economy/business cabins operating from Robigo Mines is the place to go, choose missions to Sirius Atmospheric. You will probably end up doing cross trade with data gathered at the Jameson crash site as well. You will also be down trading the raw materials you get from the Anaconda crash sites to fill up your other materials very efficiently.

D2EA did a video a month or so ago with a technique for gathering military combat aftermath type materials very quickly, based on a particular civil war mechanic or similar, this may be the bug you have heard off, though it probably isn't a real bug. It was just a method to be able to attack multiple big ships in quick succession with minimal/no risk to yourself, and hoovering up the high grade materials with collectors.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Tree gods I forgot how bad is to get stuff

Just for the corvette (All a rated and engineered prior to the changes) so moving to LVL 5

FSD done
Power plant done
Weapons done
Shields done

Looking into utilty stuff and I feel broken in mind already the grind play is still well their :)

Doesnt help with a 20.5 jump range either :)

Soldato
Thought it was meant to be the 28th? 24th would be nice though, potentailly get to play through the bank holiday that way! Doesn't seem to be any solid details around what content there will be yet, so not really feeling excited yet. Wait and see I guess :)

I pimped my Krait some more over the weekend, did the grind to get the engineer Lei Cheung to get my shields kitted out nicely. Tanks like a beast now, nothing in a HazRes is a threat unless I pick multiple fights one after another with no caution. Dropped in on a distress beacon (threat level 5) and had to work a little harder as the enemies were manouvring much better than normal as well as using some shield piercing weapon, but still had no problem picking off all 3 enemies there. I've found a weapon setup that appears to work well now; large gimballed Beam Laser, 2x large gimballed Multicannons and a pair of fixed medium railguns. Beam is geared for max damage, likewise the multicannons - one of which has the corrosive effect. This combo happily deals with smaller targets so I avoid most frustration from the fixed railguns. The railguns are geared for max range for sniping at targets before taking some damage if I want, but more importantly allow me to make nice penetrating shots on subsystems. Pretty sure I nuked an Anaconda with a single volley against the powerplant once it's shields were down yesterday - which was awesome. Easy to hit something that big too, hitting medium ships is getting easier too - so practise definitely helping here. Don't think I'd want to try a non-instant hit weapon fixed however!

Soldato
Yes Voice Attack fully works and you must also get a voice pack to add immersion. There are many.
From William Shatner to Brent Spiner to John De Lancie and even Marina Sirtis. And lets not forget Brian Blessed :D

By the way, did anyone bought the Marina Sirtis voice pack? I cannot find a sample of it anywhere.

Wow! Might just get back into Elite. Those Voice packs are brilliant.

Nate

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well the mini patch seems just that......

Large Dumbfire Missile
Large Seeker Missile
Large Torpedo Launcher
Large Multicannon (T)

Human tech broker:

Small shock cannon (T/G/F)

Guardian tech broker:

Small plasma launcher (T/F)
Small shard cannon (T/F)
Small gauss cannon (F)

New Content:

Planetary settlement wing missions

New abandoned settlements to find with backstory

Colonia will be getting engineers (unlocked by current engineers)

New space based locations to find guardian beacons, which will lead to new locations

New Ships:

Crusader (Chieftain/Challenger variant)
matches the agility & performance of previous versions, but with an SLF bay

New "hybrid fighter series" (looks like guardian based fighters):

XG7 - Trident - Plasma Autocannon
XG8 - Javelin - Shard Launcher
XG9 - Lance - Gauss Focus Cannon

(semi unofficial i guess)

Soldato
Nice set of teasers, more guardian content and so on is good. I imagine those Planetary Settlemeant missions are just going to be the same as the solo ones but scaled up in difficulty to require extra people if the combat/hauling missions are anything to go by.

There's a new trailer for the fighters too which also shows the Crusader (albeit in wireframe form)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hu4DXno5w

Should be good! Anyone doing jumping on the Gnosis mega ship over the next week or so before it heads off to previously unreachable space?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ah ha. So the planetary settlement are the missions for existing settlements.
Here was I hoping that there's a new gameplay type where you can go establish a settlement somewhere. Now that would have got me interested.

Associate
Just started a mahoosive exploration trip using the Road to Riches planner:

Start system: Jimara
Systems within 400 ly: 2814 out of 9081
The route has 700 systems with 1443 planets.

It's going to take a while but it is going to be worth a fortune! I have done the first 3 so far and it's already worth 1.5 million credits (inc a few I had already).

Stoner81.

Soldato
Too right, I could only stick a RtR run for maybe 15-20 systems at a time before I simply HAD to do something else. The primary aim at that time was to simply make money so I could buy stuff I could then enjoy the game more with, and have since found much more efficient ways of making cash that only require short bursts of grind now and again, for pretty much what you would get from a very extended RtR run. This is probably what Stoner81 is doing though, don't know how long he has had the game. I was burnt out on it just after a few runs as mentioned. RtR is one of THE best ways to accumulate starter cash however, but you are dead right that exploration should only really be done on that scale if you are in to the exploration itself primarily.

Associate
Don't burn out with that, also don't forget it's not exploration when you are following a guide and know what you are going to see :p

Nothing quite like stumbling across cool things by accident!

Well yeah I know it's not proper exploration but at this point in time for me in game most of it isn't since I am still inside the bubble and not gone that far from the starting point (maybe 200ly ish?)

Too right, I could only stick a RtR run for maybe 15-20 systems at a time before I simply HAD to do something else. The primary aim at that time was to simply make money so I could buy stuff I could then enjoy the game more with, and have since found much more efficient ways of making cash that only require short bursts of grind now and again, for pretty much what you would get from a very extended RtR run. This is probably what Stoner81 is doing though, don't know how long he has had the game. I was burnt out on it just after a few runs as mentioned. RtR is one of THE best ways to accumulate starter cash however, but you are dead right that exploration should only really be done on that scale if you are in to the exploration itself primarily.

Pretty much sums it up bud, I am semi struggling to get cash together. Cargo missions are pretty decent though and net anywhere from 100k to almost a million or more depending on what they are but the higher end are few and far between. I am in a decent ship now (Asp) which has most(?) of the top end upgrades done before engineering. Basically I am after a huge lump sum of cash so I can buy a massive ship for doing passenger or cargo missions and keeping my Asp (I am going to engineer it to death eventually). I have had the game quite a while but only played in fits and starts. I think I have made about 50 million credits so far give or take bit.

With RtR my plan is to sit down for a play session (however long it might be) and follow the route, when I get bored I stop playing and go do something else and come back to it maybe the day after or what not. This way I don't suffer burn out as much, I get a huge (hopefully) credits influx and my exploration rank should boost to Elite (I hope, I am at Trailblazer at the moment) which in turn gives me access to Jameson Memorial which has every upgrade and ship available.

I just can't decide on what ship to buy next though I am LOOOOOONG way from even thinking about that just yet :D

Stoner81.

Soldato
Sounds good then, you can't go wrong with RTR if you know what you are getting in for. Was just worried you might be going into it with the wrong expectations and didn't want you to burn out on it!

If you want passenger missions definitely look at the Dolphin, and move on to the Orca or Beluga in the future when budget allows. They can all both work for cargo related missions too.
Other options for transport style missions would be the Hauler ships - Type6/7.

Soldato
Sounds like you have had a very similar progression to myself. I got the game last Christmas and played it without doing any gold rush type cash runs, just the odd RtR session until I got an Asp. At that point I only had maybe 150M. Then about 2 months ago I finally decided to hop on the passenger run train and saved up enough for a Python and did the Parutis-Medb passenger run for about a fortnight, and went to over 1B credits in that time. Up until that point I was ok with just playing the game normally, doing missions, not even stacking them, and pottering about, making cash "realistically", no board flipping etc. For a considerable time I thought that's how I would always play the game, and there are people who do do that still.

But then comes the point you realise just how much cash you do actually need to do anything beyond this type of progression, and you realise playing "normally" it will be actual YEARS before you can afford any of the high end ships and A rate them etc. Once you give in to the easy money way of life after you've worked up normally to an Asp at the most, then it starts a next phase type of enjoyment of the game. Anyone new to Elite reading this, this is how I would always recommend anyone starts the game, don't make a beeline for an Anaconda straight away, don't do gold rush exploits immediately, play it normally with occasional RtR until you get to an Asp, and then a Python. Then, if you ask me, you've earned the right to really enjoy the game without having to worry about money, by using the most efficient serious money making methods.

Soldato
^^ I'm surprised how much you earned for each ship there. Only buying an Asp when you had "only" 150M, a billion isk to buy a Python?! A billion can happily cover an Anaconda fit with A rated hardware and still have multiple rebuys available!

Don't think I've ever had more than 250m cash. Building my Krait cost me around 180m and I've got enough left over I could die 10 times in a row without making a penny and still have rebuy!

Soldato
What I meant was that I saved up to get a Python set up to start on the passenger run method, and after that investment went from about 60M left in the bank to over a billion in a couple of weeks. I did actually upgrade to an Anaconda half way through this for even faster cash grabbing. The idea was to simply make enough cash to effectively forget about it as a necessary resource for the rest of my time in the game, Which at currently 2 billion, even after binging on as many prismatic shields as I think I will need for the remainder of the game, I am pretty much there now. Maybe when I decide to A rate a corvette I will need a bit more saved up, but around this level you can pretty much just play the game setting your own goals and not have to bother worrying about things such as how pathetic bounty hunting payouts are, or any combat related activity for that matter, and just do bounty hunting cos its fun. It just one way of playing the game that works for me I suppose. Passenger missions really are totally unbalanced with the rest of the game though it has to be said.

Edit: also what I meant was I was playing the game for like 6 months before deciding to do this. I had the Asp for ages and was playing "normally" up till that point. After that long it was becoming obvious you either continue to play realistically and effectively role play an actual space "job", or take a short cut to enjoyment so to speak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom